Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Oct 12, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #1,741 of 46,514
Since this is a HD650 thread I must say that the Grace m902 is absolutely fabulous with the 650.

However I have an issue with brightness on the Beyerdynamics T1's. I also had this problem with the HD800 - not only on the Grace, but with Headline and Lehman Black Cube Linear (Sennheiser reference amp for HD800) also. Guess I am a sensitive person. 

Oct 13, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #1,742 of 46,514

Quote:
Since this is a HD650 thread I must say that the Grace m902 is absolutely fabulous with the 650.

However I have an issue with brightness on the Beyerdynamics T1's. I also had this problem with the HD800 - not only on the Grace, but with Headline and Lehman Black Cube Linear (Sennheiser reference amp for HD800) also. Guess I am a sensitive person. 

I always thaought the Grace m902 was a sharp and edgy amp and with the DT-880 I had back then it was the shortest way to fatigue. But I have to agree that with the HD650 it is a fantastic match! 

Oct 13, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #1,743 of 46,514

Quote:
I always thaought the Grace m902 was a sharp and edgy amp and with the DT-880 I had back then it was the shortest way to fatigue. But I have to agree that with the HD650 it is a fantastic match! 

hmm - any suggestions for an unfatiguing amp? Or even better a dac-amp? 

Oct 13, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #1,744 of 46,514
I'm sure the Grace is a great amp, as it should be, but on a somewhat less exalted level I'd like to recommend the Cambridge Audio A340SE integrated amp. No, it's not a dedicated HP amp and doesn't cost the equivalent of a house in the country, but I'm getting results with my HD650 that finally reveals what soundstage depth and air mean. Truly guys, this a genuine synergistic marvel with the 650--lean and sharp where the 650 is fat and wallowing--and definitely more than the sum of its parts. I'm going over my whole collection hearing musical lines I've never heard before, but what's more important, hearing it more as music with real timbre and less as amorphous sound.

Okay, so don't believe me. An upstart budget integrated...blah...

bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 14, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #1,745 of 46,514

Quote:
hmm - any suggestions for an unfatiguing amp? Or even better a dac-amp? 

Stay with the Grace m902 + HD650 combo! That is not a bad DAC/Amp at all. There are a lot of different choices out there but you will have to search for a long time to find something better.

Oct 18, 2010 at 7:52 AM Post #1,746 of 46,514
Since we are on the issue of sibilance, could you guys help me in the thread linked below in determining if my HD650's are faulty, as I find these two tracks too sibilant  / birght and hissy on the HD650, but not on others. (Alleviating htis involves significantly lowering the 10k-14k treble in EQ)

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/518128/help-needed-verification-of-sibilance-on-some-ne-yo-jason-derulo-tracks-hd650-or-other-top-end-headphones-please#post_6998187

I'd also like to mention that I noticed these headphones seem to lack a certain punch in drums compared to my long lost Grado SR80s. (Particularly in the track Outback Oasis by Don Grusin) I'm still worried I got a faulty unit.

Oct 18, 2010 at 9:49 AM Post #1,747 of 46,514

Quote:
Since we are on the issue of sibilance, could you guys help me in the thread linked below in determining if my HD650's are faulty, as I find these two tracks too sibilant  / birght and hissy on the HD650, but not on others. (Alleviating htis involves significantly lowering the 10k-14k treble in EQ)

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/518128/help-needed-verification-of-sibilance-on-some-ne-yo-jason-derulo-tracks-hd650-or-other-top-end-headphones-please#post_6998187

I'd also like to mention that I noticed these headphones seem to lack a certain punch in drums compared to my long lost Grado SR80s. (Particularly in the track Outback Oasis by Don Grusin) I'm still worried I got a faulty unit.

I'd love to do a test here for you, but you've not posted any example music that I have.  Perhaps, through private messaging, you could provide me copies of these songs to test.  I'm sure this question is bothering you a lot. 
redface.gif

Oct 19, 2010 at 8:15 AM Post #1,748 of 46,514
Here is the link to the aforementioned samples:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=84392

The drum impact sample is for comparison between Sennheiser and Grado, as I find that even the lower end SR80 reproduces this far better than the reference HD650. Can anyone with both brands confirm?

Oct 19, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #1,751 of 46,514

Quote:

The drum impact sample is for comparison between Sennheiser and Grado, as I find that even the lower end SR80 reproduces this far better than the reference HD650. Can anyone with both brands confirm?

I hear a lot of sibilance in a couple of the samples you provided for testing.  I think your HD650's are fine.

Oct 19, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #1,752 of 46,514
I'm getting mine in a few hours. Kind of excited for it. I am also getting the Gilmore lite during the weekend from a headfi-er. Now, I would need a good DAC I guess.. Any good sugesttiins?

Oct 24, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #1,754 of 46,514
Quote:

I tested this samples with Grado SR-60 and HD650 out from just my computer headphone out.
Bass, Grado is more punchy, but only mid-bass, I can clearly feel HD650 go lower.  It depends on what you think is 'better' actually.
Naturality, HD650 far more easier to listen, with Grado it gets too bright.

Grado also sound more 'honky' to my ears, too 'upper' mid-centric.
But yes, those recordings are s*cks.  Sound quite bad on both actually, but I still find it is more sibilance on Grado.

Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back