Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Oct 11, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #1,727 of 46,514

Quote:
Thanks, I was a little confused about a statement on another thread and upon seeing this I got curious about your equipment and decided to look but came up empty. Cool that helps.

OK.  I've redone my profile since you're the second who had to ask to get information.

Oct 11, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #1,728 of 46,514
Since this is an HD650 Appreciation thread, I'll share my appreciation.

I'm using MacBook Pro -> TOSlink -> HeadRoom Desktop Amp/DAC -> Cardas 15' -> HD650. I believe the HD650s are the new version (I bought them about 2 months ago from HR). I was used to a closed back design, so I'm really loving the imaging that open backs offer. Midrange is present and smooth, highs are very expansive. All of this talk about rolled off highs and bloated bass is nonsense for my setup.

My only gripe is the loss of low-end kick (I come from using the D2000s for 2 years). But I think I'm just acclimating to a more natural bass response. Bass is certainly present, just not thumpy. 

I was deciding among the HD650, HD800, and the T1. I decided I could get the HD650, Cardas cable, and (soon) the HR DPS for less money than either of the other options. I'm very happy with my choice! 

smile_phones.gif

Oct 11, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #1,729 of 46,514

Quote:
I was deciding among the HD650, HD800, and the T1. I decided I could get the HD650, Cardas cable, and (soon) the HR DPS for less money than either of the other options. I'm very happy with my choice! 

smile_phones.gif

That's an excellent setup that you have there.  If you come across some loose change somewhere in the future, then go for the HD800's.  They're a delight as well, though a luxury.  The HD650's are just grand for their price/pleasure ratio.  Not to mention their synergy with the HR Desktop.  I've grown to love them with the crossfeed and amp filter 1 enabled.

Oct 11, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #1,730 of 46,514
Whenever I feel like a track is a little lean in the bass, I switch on the Crossfeed and it helps a little. I don't know if it's the Cardas cable or just my preference, but I never feel the need to brighten it with a brightness filter.

Oct 12, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #1,731 of 46,514

Quote:
Sibilance doesn't come from headphones...it's in the recording

Can't generalize.  Yes, too many recordings have sibilance.  but I've narrowed down sibilance in different systems to tube selection, or to cables, or to a CD player, or to headphones.  Not often with speakers, though, in my experiences.  

Oct 12, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #1,732 of 46,514
You are right. Sibilance can come from a variety of placed with "headphones" being one of them. So it's not true that sibilance doesn't come from headphones. Many times I've listened to two headphones on the exact same system, and one displayed absolutely zero sibilance while the other displayed sibilance on just about every track I threw at them.

Oct 12, 2010 at 9:54 AM Post #1,734 of 46,514

Quote:
Whenever I feel like a track is a little lean in the bass, I switch on the Crossfeed and it helps a little. I don't know if it's the Cardas cable or just my preference, but I never feel the need to brighten it with a brightness filter.

I thought the filter on HR amps were to reduce brightness? But I was just guessing.. I miss a "brighten things down"-switch on my amps sometimes...

Oct 12, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #1,735 of 46,514

Quote:
I thought the filter on HR amps were to reduce brightness? But I was just guessing.. I miss a "brighten things down"-switch on my amps sometimes...

An EQ will do that a lot better for you than flicking a switch.  This is why the switches are becoming less and less common.

Oct 12, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #1,736 of 46,514

Quote:

Being a brightness "filter," it would make sense to reduce brightness. But no, it actually adds quite a bit of brightness. Not my cup of tea.

Quote:
An EQ will do that a lot better for you than flicking a switch.  This is why the switches are becoming less and less common.

I respectfully disagree. Turning the EQ on introduces further processing into the chain (does it not?). Flicking a switch on my Desktop amp reroutes the signal and changes things analogously. Maybe there isn't much of a difference, but hey, it gives me peace of mind haha

Oct 12, 2010 at 10:40 AM Post #1,737 of 46,514

Quote:
I respectfully disagree. Turning the EQ on introduces further processing into the chain (does it not?). Flicking a switch on my Desktop amp reroutes the signal and changes things analogously. Maybe there isn't much of a difference, but hey, it gives me peace of mind haha

You're right, it's a mind thing since 1 yr ago I'd have agreed with you.  I disliked the idea of a filter switch on the amp (the idea of EQ'ing was even worse).  What is being filtered?  Why should the sound be 'filtered'...  etc. etc.  It irked me when I heard a difference.  It sounded odd ... etc. etc.  However, when a pair of cans sounded different, I just smiled with fascination rather than annoyance, since it was a difference on mentally, more acceptable terms.  Anyway, I've since dropped all of those concerns because of what I personally now consider,  no sound basis for them.  I now enjoy my music and gear a lot better for it since I flex the options more without a nagging fear that I'm somehow 'polluting' the sound because there's a theoretical possibility of it regardless of whether or not I can hear this pollution.  And after doing this for a while, I'm really not hearing any pollution, but just a more pleasing and natural sound for my tastes.  So, I do have my own version of peace of mind now and have been where you were.  But hey, not to worry.
biggrin.gif
  I may have just lost my way so I'm not at all saying that my current state of mind and listening habits are better.  Please don't take it as such.

Oct 12, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #1,738 of 46,514

Quote:

Being a brightness "filter," it would make sense to reduce brightness. But no, it actually adds quite a bit of brightness. Not my cup of tea.

Great! Now it seems I no longer need to ponder myself because I went for the Grace and not the Headroom :) How come there is not a filter for REDUCEING brightness?

BTW - Aren't there two brightness filter choices  on the Headroom amps? Are those just two different brightness boosters?

Oct 12, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #1,739 of 46,514
Or could it be that the other headphones that did not reproduce sibilance were not true to the recordings with sibilance? Just an honest question, no leg pulling intended.

Quote:
You are right. Sibilance can come from a variety of placed with "headphones" being one of them. So it's not true that sibilance doesn't come from headphones. Many times I've listened to two headphones on the exact same system, and one displayed absolutely zero sibilance while the other displayed sibilance on just about every track I threw at them.

Oct 12, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #1,740 of 46,514

Quote:
Great! Now it seems I no longer need to ponder myself because I went for the Grace and not the Headroom :) How come there is not a filter for REDUCEING brightness?

BTW - Aren't there two brightness filter choices  on the Headroom amps? Are those just two different brightness boosters?

Yeah, there's two filters. They both brighten the sound but in different ways. I don't have a good technical description of what happens but I just assume that they boost a different frequency range in the treble. For what it's worth, I prefer Filter 1 over Filter 2, but I don't use either one.

As for the Grace vs. HeadRoom, I'm glad you enjoy your Grace. I've heard nothing but good things about it. I'm not sure if I'm reading you correctly, but in any case, I've always heard the Grace is brighter than the HR. Stereophile compared the two one time and I recall the author describing the Grace as more clinical and bright and the HR more lush and warm. 

Who cares.. we both have amazing amps. 

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back