Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 31, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #1,561 of 46,505
Let me ask you something sir. Say I was to buy a new amp right now. Portable or whatever. To burn it in, do I actually need to be outputting music to headphones with it?

Some sort of signal needs to be going through the electronics.  Could be white noise, pink noise or rock-n-roll, just as long as the system, and or the headphone, is vacillating.

Same for warming up, do you just mean to turn it on and let it sit for a little while? Thanks.

As to warming up a CD player or a headphone amp, I load an album and let it play for four or five songs; twenty minutes.  The difference, to me, is "amazing" in that before, everything is closed up, afterwords, everything is both louder and opened up.

L3000.gif

Aug 31, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #1,562 of 46,505
Quote:
Thanks. Are you happy with the MKIII and 650 combo? It is extremely affordable. The MKIII is a tube amp, right?

I'm actually very happy with it. I'm using it with the Little Dot DAC_1. I bought the amp used and the DAC new. The amp came with a bunch of different tubes, and I'm enjoying it so much, I haven't swapped them out for the stock tubes yet; however, I'm sure they sound really good too.

Aug 31, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #1,563 of 46,505

Quote:
Quote:

I'm actually very happy with it. I'm using it with the Little Dot DAC_1. I bought the amp used and the DAC new. The amp came with a bunch of different tubes, and I'm enjoying it so much, I haven't swapped them out for the stock tubes yet; however, I'm sure they sound really good too.

Does that DAC have an optical in?

Aug 31, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #1,564 of 46,505
Aug 31, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #1,566 of 46,505

Quote:
Is there much difference between a HD600 and HD650?

Never heard the 600. I do know that some people actually prefer it to the 650 though.

Aug 31, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #1,567 of 46,505

Quote:
Never heard the 600. I do know that some people actually prefer it to the 650 though.

It's a more balanced presentation without the recessed treble and overly impactful bass. The HD650s are equally good at sound stage and detail retrieval, but they are not as balanced.

Aug 31, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #1,568 of 46,505

Quote:
Yep. I know I can use a Toslink cable from my macbook right into it. I'm just too lazy (and cheap) to pick up the cable. lol.

http://littledot.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=814&sid=2df757b00643ee4b0abffce6b1bdbc73

[*]
S/PDIF Digital Inputs:

[*] BNC

[*] RCA (Coaxial)

[*] Toslink (Optical)

[*] USB (Standard USB audio device)

Thanks. I'll be in the market for a home setup soon. I'll strongly consider this little DAC.

Aug 31, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #1,569 of 46,505

Quote:
It's a more balanced presentation without the recessed treble and overly impactful bass. The HD650s are equally good at sound stage and detail retrieval, but they are not as balanced.

Are you a believer in cables? You think a recable could help with some of those flaws a bit?

Aug 31, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #1,570 of 46,505

Quote:
Are you a believer in cables? You think a recable could help with some of those flaws a bit?

I am a cable believer...somewhat. But they won't change what's there....just tweak it slightly. For the HD650s, I would recommend a good silver cable (like the Moon Audio Silver Dragon) to bring out the mids/treble more. But it will not transform the HD650s into the HD600s.

But only after spending your money on a good desktop amp and dac (with a good source) first.

Aug 31, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #1,571 of 46,505
Thank you sir. Definitely will get AMP/DAC first! Do you think a laptop can be a viable source? It outputs 24/96 for whatever that's worth...Not many are capable of that I don't think.

Aug 31, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #1,572 of 46,505

Quote:
Thank you sir. Definitely will get AMP/DAC first! Do you think a laptop can be a viable source? It outputs 24/96 for whatever that's worth...Not many are capable of that I don't think.

If you can swing a computer with a coax (or toslink) out, you should be ok. Even USB out at 320kps ain't bad.

Here's another option: M2 Tech Hiface?

Aug 31, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #1,573 of 46,505
CoryGillmore, the amp you use has a lot more to do with the sound of the HD-650 than any cable. I've found marked (and measurable) changes with amps. The aftermarket Sennheiser cables I owned did nothing. Marketers make a lot of noise about "doubt" and push testimonials, but when you get down to it, cable "differences" exist in the same sense that ghosts, Bigfoot and UFOs do. It's strictly paranormal and not one shred of evidence has been presented otherwise. Instead, look for a high quality amp if you want to make the HD-650 sound better.

Aug 31, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #1,574 of 46,505
Thanks to the both of you. A huge help. Now I just need some cash. I wonder how much I could get for a kidney...not mine of course...lets see, who in my life right now is expendable (puts fist to chin)

Aug 31, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #1,575 of 46,505

Quote:
CoryGillmore, the amp you use has a lot more to do with the sound of the HD-650 than any cable. I've found marked (and measurable) changes with amps. The aftermarket Sennheiser cables I owned did nothing. Marketers make a lot of noise about "doubt" and push testimonials, but when you get down to it, cable "differences" exist in the same sense that ghosts, Bigfoot and UFOs do. It's strictly paranormal and not one shred of evidence has been presented otherwise. Instead, look for a high quality amp if you want to make the HD-650 sound better.

I agree (mentioned that about 3 post ago as well
smile.gif
) that your $$ is better spent on an amp/dac/source first. But tuning with cables can be effective when utilizing a good silver cable with the HD650s to better bring out the mids and treble (again only after one is satisfied with the amp/dac/source). But with regards to copper cables, like you I found very little differences between the stock HD650 cable and the SAA Equinox Cable....but boy did the Equinox look nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back