Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 24, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #1,531 of 46,499
I just think the Beyers are too picky with their music selection. I nearly find them unlistenable with hiphop, r&b pop. Acoustic music like Death Cab for Cutie is well suited to the Beyers though. So car I've found the 650's to so at least decent with every track I've thrown at them. Classical on the Beyers is really something to experience though. Even on my mediocre Yahama receiver!

Aug 25, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #1,532 of 46,499

Quote:
I just think the Beyers are too picky with their music selection. I nearly find them unlistenable with hiphop, r&b pop. Acoustic music like Death Cab for Cutie is well suited to the Beyers though. So car I've found the 650's to so at least decent with every track I've thrown at them. Classical on the Beyers is really something to experience though. Even on my mediocre Yahama receiver!

What's your DAC and amp? I own both HD650 and DT880pro/990pro, I don't think Beyers are anywhere picky, they actually can fit to most types of music. The problem is usually that if you well drive them or not. The only exception is DT48E, it is too special for general users.

Aug 25, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #1,533 of 46,499

Quote:
What's your DAC and amp? I own both HD650 and DT880pro/990pro, I don't think Beyers are anywhere picky, they actually can fit to most types of music. The problem is usually that if you well drive them or not. The only exception is DT48E, it is too special for general users.

I bet you're right. I don't have much in terms of amp/DAC. iPhone 4 32GB+RSA Predator and Vaio F11 laptop with 24/96 output via optical cable+4 year old Yamaha A/V receiver. They both drive the 650 reasonably well I think. The Beyers, not so much. Well, the Yamaha actually drives them pretty well I think. I don't know really as I don't have much to compare with. I know the Predator and DT880 either don't synergize well together or the Predator doesn't have the power for it. Don't know which.

Aug 25, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #1,534 of 46,499
Setup:

NuForce uDAC > Woo Audio 6 > HD650s

Love it. Love it.

I could probably upgrade the DAC at some point, but it sounds great right now.
smile_phones.gif
Anyone else using a NuForce uDAC, by the way?

Aug 26, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #1,535 of 46,499

Quote:
I could probably upgrade the DAC at some point, but it sounds great right now.
smile_phones.gif
Anyone else using a NuForce uDAC, by the way?

Me. I'm currently using the uDAC as both DAC and amp. Yeah, it's really sad.

Aug 26, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #1,536 of 46,499
Yeah, Udacs are good for up to HD595 level, after that it's a tragedy.  For a source for some tube amps, might suffice OK.

Aug 26, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #1,537 of 46,499

Quote:
Yeah, Udacs are good for up to HD595 level, after that it's a tragedy.  For a source for some tube amps, might suffice OK.

I agree: using my balanced ss amp every small change in the rig affects the quality of the sound, changing the power cord, even swapping between digital interfaces has an impact on the sound.
Now I'm using the Earmax, and I can't hear the differences I used to: less time spent on tweaking, more time on music :)

Aug 26, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #1,538 of 46,499

Quote:
I agree: using my balanced ss amp every small change in the rig affects the quality of the sound, changing the power cord, even swapping between digital interfaces has an impact on the sound.
Now I'm using the Earmax, and I can't hear the differences I used to: less time spent on tweaking, more time on music :)

It's the magic of tubes - its just about the music and not the gear.  I've never owned a top level tube amp 1k plus, but I am confident to say that below that level, sources aren't as vital as it is with solid state components.

Aug 27, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #1,540 of 46,499
I just love portable amps for some reason. I've already got a Predator which I think drives the 650 pretty well. Do you guys have experience with any other portables that drive the 650 better. I'm kinda hoping to trade or sell the Pred and get something else as I don't really need the DAC functionality like I thought I did. Suggestions? Pico Slim, Protector (SE mode more than likely), SR71a, Pico are some I'm really eying.

Aug 27, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #1,541 of 46,499

Quote:
I just love portable amps for some reason. I've already got a Predator which I think drives the 650 pretty well. Do you guys have experience with any other portables that drive the 650 better. I'm kinda hoping to trade or sell the Pred and get something else as I don't really need the DAC functionality like I thought I did. Suggestions? Pico Slim, Protector (SE mode more than likely), SR71a, Pico are some I'm really eying.

I used to own the Hornet and it was ok with my HD650s (now sold)...but be advised that there is still another..oh 30% on the HD650s that you're missing out on with a portable amp IMHO.

Aug 27, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #1,542 of 46,499

Quote:
I used to own the Hornet and it was ok with my HD650s (now sold)...but be advised that there is still another..oh 30% on the HD650s that you're missing out on with a portable amp IMHO.

Yeah I know. Are there worthwhile desktop amps in the sub $400 price range though? How about the Little Dot MKIII? I was looking at those and they're like $245 shipped or something close to that. There's also the NuForce Icon desktop amp/DAC. Is it pretty good?

Aug 27, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #1,543 of 46,499

Quote:
Yeah I know. Are there worthwhile desktop amps in the sub $400 price range though? How about the Little Dot MKIII? I was looking at those and they're like $245 shipped or something close to that. There's also the NuForce Icon desktop amp/DAC. Is it pretty good?

The Nuforce Icon HDP is quite good and would be a good match for the HD650s. As well, I would recommend the Cantate.2 from Meier Audio. They are only available in "B" stock from the manufacturer (with small blemishes) and is quite a deal at $429:

http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/

And a USB dac is included.

Aug 27, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #1,544 of 46,499
I've had my eye on the HD650s for years. After long deliberation of whether or not to get the HD800, I decided to get the 650s and the Cardas upgrade for less than half the price. I get them on Thursday. Can't wait!

Aug 27, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #1,545 of 46,499

Quote:
The Nuforce Icon HDP is quite good and would be a good match for the HD650s. As well, I would recommend the Cantate.2 from Meier Audio. They are only available in "B" stock from the manufacturer (with small blemishes) and is quite a deal at $429:

http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/

And a USB dac is included.

Thanks for your advice sir. I think I would go with the Nuforce as it has an optical input therefore making a connection with my laptop easier. Do you feel that a laptop can be a decent source? I have it set to output 24/96 stereo and it actually sounds quite good plugged into my old Yamaha A/V receiver. Especially when playing 24/96 FLAC files through VLC or WinAmp. Or hell, even playing CDs and Apple Lossless files through iTunes with Rock EQ. Of course, I have nothing else to compare to except my iPhone based portable rig...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back