Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 10, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #1,291 of 46,499
For a week i was coming and going into head-fi about the HD600 and HD650..After hours of reading and comparing, finally ordered the 650 and they sound GREAT!! Have never look back since..Only looking towards getting a good amp..
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #1,292 of 46,499
I reckon in 20 years time the HD580/600/650 will be legendary and recognised as the revolutionary headphone that began the avalanch of headphone hi-fi.

Apr 11, 2010 at 11:21 AM Post #1,293 of 46,499
Quote:

Originally Posted by SP Wild /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I reckon in 20 years time the HD580/600/650 will be legendary and recognised as the revolutionary headphone that began the avalanch of headphone hi-fi.

I do believe this will be the case. This is why I'm getting an HD600.
wink.gif
They'll be collectors items, not for their looks, but their sound. The newer cans are like the HD6x with some extra EQ'ing to accentuate bass and/or highs a bit or more than just a bit.
smily_headphones1.gif
No wonder the fatigue sets in.

Apr 11, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #1,294 of 46,499
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do believe this will be the case. This is why I'm getting an HD600.
wink.gif
They'll be collectors items, not for their looks, but their sound. The newer cans are like the HD6x with some extra EQ'ing to accentuate bass and/or highs a bit or more than just a bit.
smily_headphones1.gif
No wonder the fatigue sets in.

Totally agree with this. In my experience virtually all the other brand cans have boosted highs or lows. They may suit certain types of music, or certain tastes, but they're not accurate and their appeal doesn't last. Trouble is, people get used to "spectacular" sounding cans and initially find the Senns boring.

I would include not just the 600 series but the 555/595 as well. People describe the 595 as boring and prefer cans like the AD700, but to me the AD700 was so bright and coarse as to be unlistenable--not a serious headphone at all. The 555 is probably the best balanced can on the market at that price.

Apr 11, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #1,295 of 46,499
Quote:

Originally Posted by pp312 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Totally agree with this. In my experience virtually all the other brand cans have boosted highs or lows. They may suit certain types of music, or certain tastes, but they're not accurate and their appeal doesn't last. Trouble is, people get used to "spectacular" sounding cans and initially find the Senns boring.

I would include not just the 600 series but the 555/595 as well. People describe the 595 as boring and prefer cans like the AD700, but to me the AD700 was so bright and coarse as to be unlistenable--not a serious headphone at all. The 555 is probably the best balanced can on the market at that price.

I had a pair of 595's. Liked them a lot, but had to EQ them a bit. When I got the 650's next, there was no need for EQ'ing since I was happy with the 650's balance. This was a first for me. I found the 595's mids to be a bit too forward for my tastes and this was likely why I felt inclined to EQ them a tad to boost the bass a touch.
wink.gif

Apr 15, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #1,296 of 46,499
I have just received my pair of HD650s. I have used the HD600s for 8 years. They provide the most neutral sound I have heard in a pair of headphones. However, they also make 5% of my albums sound amazing and 95% like crap (I listen to a lot of progressive and symphonic metal). The HD650s are not neutral, but hide many of the flaws in a mediocre recording. They provide the extra warmth needed. I think they have great synergy with my LD MkV. I am also looking forward to trying them out with the WA6 that is on its way
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 15, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #1,297 of 46,499
^^you will be amazed by the lushness and impressive soundstage of hd650+wa6,did you order Sophia princess?it makes a big difference.

Apr 15, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #1,298 of 46,499
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^you will be amazed by the lushness and impressive soundstage of hd650+wa6,did you order Sophia princess?it makes a big difference.

No, I could not afford the Sophia Princess. I have really exhausted my head-fi budget now. The last weeks I have bought the WA6, HD650 (as an alternative to my HD600) and DT770 Premium 600 ohm (as an alternative to Denon AH-D2000 at work).

But as soon as I have gotten used to the stock WA6 sound (and saved up a few $$) I will order Sophia Princess. It almost seems like there is no point in tube rolling, as everyone sticks with the Sophia.

Apr 23, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #1,299 of 46,499
WA6 and the HD650s are amazing together! I mean, the LD MkIII is great, but this sound is even tighter and more powerful. This is as close as I have come to the holy grail. The sound really opens up, and the power reserves seem bottomless. I cannot imagine this can become any better with the Sophia Princess rectifier, but naturally I have to give it a try.

May 3, 2010 at 5:59 AM Post #1,300 of 46,499
I just went balanced HD650 (see sig).

So when I discovered Pokemon when I was a little kid in grade 4, I ran home and downloaded that no$gmb emulator and tried to play the game. I encountered this memory problem that crashed the game right as it started. I was heartbroken. For the next 5 days, I searched the internet far and wide trying to fix the problem.

And then on the fifth day, right before dinner time, I booted up the game and it worked flawlessly. The moment when Professor Oak asked me to choose a pokemon...I will never forget that moment. That screen, the music. I was one happy kid. In a rush to be the very best, I ate dinner so fast I nearly vomited.

Anyways, the point is ...uh, ...there will be very few moments in my life that will be able top my pokemon moment. But when I got my new setup and put on this track:

YouTube - FF7 Voices of the Lifestream 2-11: JENOVA Celestial (J-E-N-O-V-A)

I smiled maybe three-quarters as wide as I did when I got pokemon working. And that says a LOT.

May 3, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #1,301 of 46,499
Pokemon?!
biggrin.gif

To me, the HD650 sound is like sitting in a very comfortable soft sofa made out of Alcantara and you can sit there for a long time without getting backache.
smily_headphones1.gif

A shame the HD650 does not have a unique serial number like the HD800, T1 or the K701/2...

And using this sofa allegory, the HD800 is compared to the HD650 a more modern and bigger real leather sofa... and while it's very comfortable, too, sometimes you get just a pain in the neck... (because of bad recordings)...

May 3, 2010 at 10:49 AM Post #1,302 of 46,499
hey guys...I need you help with a question.
I sent my HD650 to be repaired (right driver was buzzing/distorting) and they replaced the damaged driver with a new one. now to the question:
the sound seemed to be fine,sound is very good without any distortion noise.
but I am a little worried since the new driver doesn't have the grey cover on the back side. it seem to be a black one instead,or maybe there is no cover at all,I can tell because it is black. can you please tell me what there is behind that cover? I want to know if they put me an old hd650 driver or just forgot to put the cover back after installing the new driver.
if they forgot,is this recommended to leave it this way...coverless?

please guys,you urgent help will be appreciated! I know this is an app thread but I didn't want to open a whole new one just for this silly question.

EDIT: I just took the pads off and looked at the drivers. the new one it black and the old one is grey. what does this say about the new driver? is it an old hd650 driver or what??

May 3, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #1,303 of 46,499
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey guys...I need you help with a question.
I sent my HD650 to be repaired (right driver was buzzing/distorting) and they replaced the damaged driver with a new one. now to the question:
the sound seemed to be fine,sound is very good without any distortion noise.
but I am a little worried since the new driver doesn't have the grey cover on the back side. it seem to be a black one instead,or maybe there is no cover at all,I can tell because it is black. can you please tell me what there is behind that cover? I want to know if they put me an old hd650 driver or just forgot to put the cover back after installing the new driver.
if they forgot,is this recommended to leave it this way...coverless?

please guys,you urgent help will be appreciated! I know this is an app thread but I didn't want to open a whole new one just for this silly question.

EDIT: I just took the pads off and looked at the drivers. the new one it black and the old one is grey. what does this say about the new driver? is it an old hd650 driver or what??

How does it sound to you. This is the critical part. If it sounds fine, are you going to let someone convince you that it isn't?
smily_headphones1.gif
I know exactly how you feel, but seeing anyway if the reasoning will work with you.

May 3, 2010 at 1:01 PM Post #1,304 of 46,499
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does it sound to you. This is the critical part. If it sounds fine, are you going to let someone convince you that it isn't?
smily_headphones1.gif
I know exactly how you feel, but seeing anyway if the reasoning will work with you.

it sounds fine,but it is a matter of principle. I am getting really upset just from the thought that the man in the lab picked up a "nos" hd650 driver he had thrown away somewhere and installed it on my HD650 just so they won't have to order a new one from sennheiser. or maybe a used driver for god sake! and believe me,in israel they are capabale of anything...just to save money. I really don't wanna be a succer here, so If it is an old hd650 driver I will not let them go this time.

I didn't post this,but my HD650 was sent to be fixed two times and not one,in the first time they were not fixed at all because they sent it to an amature lab...only in the second time they sent it to the so called "authorized" sennheiser lab in israel. it is not exactly a senn lab it is just the electronic importer that imports the sennheiser stuff.

what other ways beside the color of the driver that i can distinguished the new one from the old?

May 4, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #1,305 of 46,499
I've been a headphone geek for many years. I started when I was a teenager with the famous Koss Pro 4aa's, then HV-1a's, and then to a pair of Radio Shack Titanium "something-somethings" from the early 90's (which were pretty good, actually). I then moved through a nice sampling of the Grado line, starting with the SR-80's, SR-325i's, and then finally to the top of the line RS-1's. I liked the Grado's to a degree, but always felt they gave me a bad case of listener fatigue. I had heard about Sennheiser's slightly laid back sound, and a lot of positive reviews, so I took a chance and purchased a pair of HD650's along with the Cardas cable from Music Direct. I thought it would at least be a worthwhile experiment because of their 30 return policy. I brought them home and listened for about an hour, thinking that they initially sounded quite nice. I let them break in overnight, and then attached the Cardas cable. At that point I knew my long headphone journey was over. These cans were absolute perfection - finally a headphone that delivered on every point, every aspect of critical listening - and then some. I have been listening happily now for 3 years, and I am convinced that if I ever need to replace these, I would just buy another pair of HD650's - regardless of price. Sennheiser got these right, plain and simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back