Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 24, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #46,471 of 46,499
Thank you all. I believe I've stated elsewhere that I don't really need 2 headphones that nearly sound the same. It's just that I am wondering what I'm missing by having the poor cousin of the 6series, the 58X.
I have both and can share with you my usage:
  • HD58X for listening at low volumes
  • HD650/6XX for cranking the volume :metal:

Feb 25, 2024 at 10:23 AM Post #46,472 of 46,499
Thank you all. I believe I've stated elsewhere that I don't really need 2 headphones that nearly sound the same. It's just that I am wondering what I'm missing by having the poor cousin of the 6series, the 58X.

From your comments, I (perhaps wrongly) gather that my initial thought, the 650, is closest in sound to the 58 ... ?

The 660s2 seems very expensive and I did listen to it (and liked it) at the Bristol show but I did not have the 58X with me to compare. Still, at its current price I probably won't.

I guess this leaves the 600 or 660s ...
I have both the 58X and the 6XX. With my inexpensive headphone amplifiers or DAC/Amp (Mayflower O2, Bravo V2 with Gold Lion tube, iFi Uno, and one or two more) the 58X simply sounds better to me in all aspects. In particular, it has better PRaT, and I value that especially. Let me emphasize that I have no experience with these two headphones with better source components. My current preferred desktop setup includes an iFi Uno DAC/Amp and Hifiman HE400se. The Hifiman HE400se replaced the HD58X.

Feb 25, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #46,473 of 46,499
I have both the 58X and the 6XX. With my inexpensive headphone amplifiers or DAC/Amp (Mayflower O2, Bravo V2 with Gold Lion tube, iFi Uno, and one or two more) the 58X simply sounds better to me in all aspects. In particular, it has better PRaT, and I value that especially. Let me emphasize that I have no experience with these two headphones with better source components. My current preferred desktop setup includes an iFi Uno DAC/Amp and Hifiman HE400se. The Hifiman HE400se replaced the HD58X.
As you can see, I own only one lowly Planar. Whilst I like it very much it wouldn't replace the 58X. They are so fundamentally different and I like both. I appreciate the low cost of the 6XX (and I may yet go down that route) but the snob in me prefers the look and build of the 650, even at Euro 90 more after additional taxes for the Drop version here in Europe. I also think I would recoup this difference in re-sale value.

At the moment I'm confused as to which way to go so I just sit on my arse and procrastinate :relaxed:

Feb 25, 2024 at 4:56 PM Post #46,474 of 46,499
As you can see, I own only one lowly Planar. Whilst I like it very much it wouldn't replace the 58X. They are so fundamentally different and I like both. I appreciate the low cost of the 6XX (and I may yet go down that route) but the snob in me prefers the look and build of the 650, even at Euro 90 more after additional taxes for the Drop version here in Europe. I also think I would recoup this difference in re-sale value.

At the moment I'm confused as to which way to go so I just sit on my arse and procrastinate :relaxed:
Amigo... :wink: I have tried a lot of headphones since I started to visit this forum in 2020, the pandemic era... I listen to classical, jazz, OSTs, vocal focused albums (cantaautor), classic rock, melodic metal and I also have a "various" playlist where I put the rest (some classic pop or other albums).

I love the way the 58Xs present bass, as you know because I think you have read some of my posts, and when I'm listening to one album with the 800 or 580, some times I perceive some bass notes that I think will sound incredible with the 58Xs, I put those albums on hold and when I swap to the 58Xs I listen to those albums... I reserve the 58Xs for those albums and bad produced/recorded ones (mostly with metal albums and some rock or other weird albums...).

With the 800 and 580 I love to listen to well recorded/produced albums, the former give me an incredible stage (as you know) and all the details, and the latter give me a very natural sound and intimacy, both of them complement very well...

... And yes, I'm thinking I'm at that "end game" state :relieved: So, it's time to reduce my visits to the forum (although I love to be here) :beerchug:

Envíame un MP si quieres conocer mis experiencias con auriculares y eso :relaxed:

PD: For example, I was about to listen to "The Police - Outlandos d'Amour" with the 580s and I didn't like the sound... I put that album on hold (for the 58Xs) and now I'm listening to "Mana - ¿Dónde jugarán los niños?" and sound incredible good :L3000:

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #46,475 of 46,499
Amigo... :wink: I have tried a lot of headphones since I started to visit this forum in 2020, the pandemic era... I listen to classical, jazz, OSTs, vocal focused albums (cantaautor), classic rock, melodic metal and I also have a "various" playlist where I put the rest (some classic pop or other albums).

I love the way the 58Xs present bass, as you know because I think you have read some of my posts, and when I'm listening to one album with the 800 or 580, some times I perceive some bass notes that I think will sound incredible with the 58Xs, I put those albums on hold and when I swap to the 58Xs I listen to those albums... I reserve the 58Xs for those albums and bad produced/recorded ones (mostly with metal albums and some rock or other weird albums...).

With the 800 and 580 I love to listen to well recorded/produced albums, the former give me an incredible stage (as you know) and all the details, and the latter give me a very natural sound and intimacy, both of them complement very well...

... And yes, I'm thinking I'm at that "end game" state :relieved: So, it's time to reduce my visits to the forum (although I love to be here) :beerchug:

Envíame un MP si quieres conocer mis experiencias con auriculares y eso :relaxed:

PD: For example, I was about to listen to "The Police - Outlandos d'Amour" with the 580s and I didn't like the sound... I put that album on hold (for the 58Xs) and now I'm listening to "Mana - ¿Dónde jugarán los niños?" and sound incredible good :L3000:
And, as I anticipated, "The Police - Outlandos d'Amour" sounds very good with the 58Xs :relieved:

Feb 27, 2024 at 8:10 PM Post #46,476 of 46,499
Purchased my HD650 off Amazon in 2013. Until 2 months ago it was largely relegated to a desk drawer. I was never satisfied with it's presentation of music. But I recently gave it another try and it to my surprise it sounds incredibly fluid and organic. The only thing that changed was my amplifier. I have a JDS Atom amp now. The HD650 did not pair well with the Schiit Magni 3 or the Asgard 3. It also did not shine with a Lehman Linear Cube copycat product from Matrix Audio. But it somehow sounds incredible with the Atom.

I also have an HD600 and a Sony Z7 MK1. I used to prefer both of those headphones to the HD650 and by a wide margin. I even considered selling the HD650 at one point in the late 2010s. Now I'm glad I didn't.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2024 at 9:06 PM Post #46,477 of 46,499
Purchased my HD650 off Amazon in 2013. Until 2 months ago it was largely relegated to a desk drawer. I was never satisfied with it's presentation of music. But I recently gave it another try and it to my surprise it sounds incredibly fluid and organic. The only thing that changed was my amplifier. I have a JDS Atom amp now. The HD650 did not pair well with the Schiit Magni 3 or the Asgard 3. It also did not shine with a Lehman Linear Cube copycat product from Matrix Audio. But it somehow sounds incredible with the Atom.

I also have an HD600 and a Sony Z7 MK1. I used to prefer both of those headphones to the HD650 and by a wide margin. I even considered selling the HD650 at one point in the late 2010s. Now I'm glad I didn't.
Do yourself a favor and try them on a high-impedance tube amp, it is absolutely sublime!

Feb 27, 2024 at 9:50 PM Post #46,478 of 46,499

Honestly I’m finding the HD 650 notoriously system sensitive, I have to use opitical input into my dac and certain interconnects to get the HD 650 to my liking, otherwise I can actually dislike it. When the HD 650 is happy, it’s a very pleasing headphone with a great midrange, when it’s unhappy, I do not like its midrange at all. Now I know why I flip-flopped on the headphone from liking to hating and vice versa so much in the past.

Feb 27, 2024 at 10:14 PM Post #46,480 of 46,499

I use an HD 6XX with a JDS Atom+. You're right -- a lovely combination.

Moving into tubes soon! Can't wait for that experience with the 6XX, too.

Feb 27, 2024 at 11:04 PM Post #46,482 of 46,499
What are some good upgrade cables for the 6xx under $300 these days?
Try Fog City Audio ('fogcityaudio.com'), located in San Francisco CA. Excellent build, excellent sound! ☑️

Feb 28, 2024 at 3:27 AM Post #46,483 of 46,499

As you say, I also prefer the HD650s with some amplifiers, while I hate them with others. I always thought OTL amps were best for the HD650s. Then I tried the HD650 with the G111 MKll, I almost didn't want to do this test, because I knew the V200 with HD650 well. From here I discovered that the HD650s have more synergy with neutral (not cold) amplifiers like the G111. They sound good with my V200 (neutral/warm) and OTL, but the HD650 and G111 are a perfect pair. I also had Schiit Magni 3+, with the HD650 they sound bad and congested. I also tried a Sabaj, absolutely ugly with the HD650s (a real icebox).
👋

Feb 28, 2024 at 2:39 PM Post #46,485 of 46,499

Users who are viewing this thread

Back