Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 24, 2024 at 3:18 AM Post #46,456 of 46,514
May I ask, what don't you like about the 660S? I've read some very conflicting feedback, as on almost every headphone.

Feb 24, 2024 at 3:34 AM Post #46,457 of 46,514
May I ask, what don't you like about the 660S? I've read some very conflicting feedback, as on almost every headphone.
I like them a lot is just that the 660s2 is much better not only in tonality but also in technicalities. The timbre is very similar.

The weak point of 660s is sometimes the bass but this source dependant. If you find the right synergy is there very good too.

As I said elex is very impressive headphone and when I drive it properly I prefer it from 660s. While I prefer the 660s2 more than both of them. This is a lot of distance to cover so I believe s2 is a meaningful upgrade.

I am the biggest fan of 58x but the s2 from a technical perspective is on another level. The s1 is also too but why to go there now when s2 is around and discounted many times. ( Except the box maybe which still I cannot swallow)

the old guard though (600 and 650) has this unmatched natural timbre and organiness that still make them relevant today especially for long listening sessions and particular types of music and this why I believe cannot fully be replaced today.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2024 at 3:43 AM Post #46,458 of 46,514
Thanks Rafaelo. I will wait until the 660S2 has dropped to below Euro 400. I just find it hard to stomach it's current price, especially compared to the 650 (which I prefer looks wise to the 6XX).

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2024 at 8:34 AM Post #46,459 of 46,514
Well, I finally discovered that the HD6XX from Drop sounds so much better on a tube amplifier than solid state. More specifically, I am blown away at the increase in overall sound when paired with my Vali2++ from Schiit. Holy cow what a combo. Price wise, can anyone suggest a logical next upgrade over the Vali2. The improvement in sound must be warranted for me to spend the money. I'm talking the next tier up in terms of dollars. Any suggestions are much appreciated, and would prefer responses with actual experience with the suggested amps. Thanks.

Feb 24, 2024 at 8:35 AM Post #46,460 of 46,514
After reading last posts I need to listen 660s2 again. I had 58x for 1 year, in general liked it very much but finally sold due to the lack of enough clarity for me. If they had just a little better resolution they would be perfect. Few months ago during audio show I checked 660s2 but just for a second bacause the first impression was that they sound very similar to 58x. But after reading your opinions I see that maybe they are worth the second chance and maybe they solve the problem of clarity in comparison to 58x which would make them a good choice for me.

Feb 24, 2024 at 8:42 AM Post #46,461 of 46,514
Well, I finally discovered that the HD6XX from Drop sounds so much better on a tube amplifier than solid state. More specifically, I am blown away at the increase in overall sound when paired with my Vali2++ from Schiit. Holy cow what a combo. Price wise, can anyone suggest a logical next upgrade over the Vali2. The improvement in sound must be warranted for me to spend the money. I'm talking the next tier up in terms of dollars. Any suggestions are much appreciated, and would prefer responses with actual experience with the suggested amps. Thanks.
Well, I’m waiting for the Valhalla 3…

Feb 24, 2024 at 9:18 AM Post #46,462 of 46,514
I’d recommend something with a much higher output impedance. My Vali 2+ will always have a special place in the collection, but the 6XX have never sounded so good as they do on the Tor Roger (70 ohm output impedance) or Bottlehead (120 ohm).

Feb 24, 2024 at 9:21 AM Post #46,463 of 46,514
So a Mojo 2's 0.06 ohm will probably not be the best match?

Feb 24, 2024 at 9:33 AM Post #46,464 of 46,514
Asgard 3 would be a nice upgrade. I got one a couple of weeks ago and been enjoying it since. If you want to stay with tubes, I think the Valhalla 2 is the next step in the Schiit line up. That's good for high impedance headphones like the 6XX's.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2024 at 9:46 AM Post #46,465 of 46,514
A 'logical next upgrade' would be the tube in Vali2++. Examples are Raytheon CK 5670, RCA Command 5670, Western Electric 396A / 2C51.

Feb 24, 2024 at 12:35 PM Post #46,466 of 46,514
Feb 24, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #46,467 of 46,514
Thank you all. I believe I've stated elsewhere that I don't really need 2 headphones that nearly sound the same. It's just that I am wondering what I'm missing by having the poor cousin of the 6series, the 58X.

From your comments, I (perhaps wrongly) gather that my initial thought, the 650, is closest in sound to the 58 ... ?

Why would you call it the "poor cousin" ??

There is a dangerous epidemics around these forums, it's called "upgraditis" - most of us catch it, some will become immune, others continue to suffer :wink:

Currently the 58X is $149 and the 6xx is $199 on drop.com - IMO this sets the ceiling for this range's pricing. At these prices of course you can have both and still have money in the back.

Feb 24, 2024 at 2:15 PM Post #46,469 of 46,514
When I was living in the States I remember I did not pay any vat on my online purchases.

Do you pay VAT on top of these prices or is going with the state ?
Well, we just call it "sales tax," but yes, we pay it, too.

Feb 24, 2024 at 2:52 PM Post #46,470 of 46,514
Well, we just call it "sales tax," but yes, we pay it, too.
So a 6xx can be 220$ as I can almost find an 650 here.

Including also a decent balanced cable this means an added value of another £50-100 on the price. Is not far away from bying a HD660S2 on offer which includes this cable. And we have extra custom duties on drop products as larger shipping costs. So is not just saying for us 6xx is 199$.

I am sorry if you took my post as offensive did not mean it to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back