Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 19, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #46,261 of 46,499
Nope, was their amp synergy I had not known? Just padrolling, acoustic impedance mods to attempt controlling driver resonance, and front-side filters. I shouldve just used PEQ and enjoyed because the bass was satisfactorily tight unlike 6X0 series.

There are some who believe with certain German headphones, higher output impedence breaking the 8:1 rule for dampening factor results in more favored colorations. Like 100-120 ohm output as opposed to like near 0. I don't know the science behind that.

Not sure if the preferences of those who said it were for pure technicality, or just to allow them to relax and enjoy German headphones in general, as many are zingy/spicy/ piercing/ zolting the spine chakras

The CC brass ring helps with bass impact (EQ'd in) as it keeps the whole driver from rattling. I never had much faith in the small driver, but when stabilized it is quite robust and holds itself together with bass boost.

I guess 800 driver is a whole different beast in itself to tame and master with different chassis.

Nov 19, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #46,262 of 46,499
I guess 800 driver is a whole different beast in itself to tame and master with different chassis.
Maybe. Some people really liked their BP800. Just didnt mesh well with me for whatever reason which is normal otherwise we’d all use the same headphone.

The CC brass ring helps with bass impact (EQ'd in) as it keeps the whole driver from rattling. I never had much faith in the small driver, but when stabilized it is quite robust and holds itself together with bass boost.
Im afraid I cant use the CC rings anymore because they appear to require stock spidercage to install. Ill have to settle for damplifier pro.

Im still curious to hear 660 as frequency response measurements appear to be towards my preferences (less 3kHz).

Nov 20, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #46,263 of 46,499
Finally bought the hd600 which is loved by the purists for great price from sennheiser at $299.
I currently have 6xx, and 660s.
Was basically in shock with regard to the thin inferior cable that comes with the phone.
Bottom line is it sounded very thin, dry with highs that were strident. Replaced with standard heavier 600 series cable and the sound was noticeably richer with smoother silkier top end. Made a very noticable difference.
Why in the world would they use such an inferior cable when the rest of the series use a much heavier gauge?
It's not as if its much cheaper than the 650 for example. The 6xx uses the standard guage and is much cheaper.
Sound now is getting better as it breaks in and my disappointment is now dissipating. Very satisfied with purchase.
The phone is very neutral but i would not say its better than 6xx just a different signiture.

Nov 20, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #46,264 of 46,499
Congratulations on your new purchase. Use a decent balanced cable like this one and you will notice much more difference.

20230606_090211.jpg

Nov 23, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #46,267 of 46,499
you've gone too far XD with those crazy mods!

But i always love the insanity around the 6 series with the spider cage removals , dynamat, JAR , and ofc the hd800 driver implants
6X0 mods update.:

HD650 sounds good and non-irritating which is an achievement. Yes, I know Im a weirdo that finds 6X0 mildly fatiguing (presumably wooly bass) and disagree with "totl timbre" claims (vocals too forward / shouty). I know not very specific description but mod is incomplete and its still a 650. Because of this I decided to try the same mod on HD600 but with one difference because I didnt want to do anything drastic (yet) as you’ll see here.

IMG_1404.jpeg

^ Both look like this on the back. Spidercage and foam removed with damplifier installed to keep magnet in place in spidercage’s stead. This mod I dont consider important, see earlier posts on difference, but basically just different but not necessarily better or worse.

IMG_1403.jpeg

^ HD600 baffle vents sealed. HD600 is now too dark.

IMG_1256.jpeg

^ HD650 baffle vents also sealed, except 650 has mesh covering driver removed so as to bring up highs - makes a huge difference, and is an “upgrade” when combined with sealed baffle otherwise too dark sounding. See earlier posts for more vague notes.

The mods above:
HD600 mod5 VS HD650 mod12.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #46,268 of 46,499
New HD650 owner here, just got home with a nice second hand set with Dekoni pads.
Got 2 questions for you Sennheiser experts, as I'm completely new to the brand myself:

1. Does all of the 6 series sets use the same connectors? So if I get a custom cable for these, they can be used with the 600 & 660S2 as well?
2. My understanding is that the Dekoni pads lowers the treble, compared to stock pads. Is that correct? Do they have any other effect compared to stock?

Thanks all :)

Nov 24, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #46,269 of 46,499
New HD650 owner here, just got home with a nice second hand set with Dekoni pads.
Got 2 questions for you Sennheiser experts, as I'm completely new to the brand myself:

1. Does all of the 6 series sets use the same connectors? So if I get a custom cable for these, they can be used with the 600 & 660S2 as well?
2. My understanding is that the Dekoni pads lowers the treble, compared to stock pads. Is that correct? Do they have any other effect compared to stock?

Thanks all :)
1. Definitely yes

Nov 24, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #46,270 of 46,499
Nov 25, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #46,272 of 46,499
For your ease of mind check my photo in earlier post above where the same cable is on my hd600 and in my avatar is plugged in my 660s2.IMG-20230827-WA0004.jpg
Thank you very much 😊
I've been looking into getting some custom cables for my headphones, and multiple stores also list them as compatible, so it's all good 👍

Nov 25, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #46,273 of 46,499
After buying my hd600 1 week ago and comparing to my 660s and 6xx I've come to the conclusion, after extensive back and forth listening, that it beats both of them. I bought the 600 because many of the major reviewers seem to feel it is the best of the series.
I couldn't agree more. When push comes to shove it just sounds more natural and uncolored verses the 660 and 6xx. It also has great detail and does not take a backseat in that regard.
The only thing i observed is that it does reguire around 20 hrs of break-in to be at it's smoothest. Was slightly strident right out of the box.
Btw it sounds really great on my Rebel amp. Not as good on my singxer.
The Rebel hd600 is now my favorite combo. Even beating my ndh30 singxer combo which i loved.
One other caution is to not use the extremely thin cable that comes with it and invest another 14 bucks to buy sennheiser heavier gauge cable or another good replacement.
The heavier gauge made a noticeable improvement to the top end smoothness and overall weight of the sound.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023 at 7:43 AM Post #46,274 of 46,499
I'm considering getting a set of stock pads for my HD650's, just ro hear how they are in their stock form.
No on here has compared HD650/6xx Dekoni pads with the stock ones?

Nov 28, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #46,275 of 46,499
I'm considering getting a set of stock pads for my HD650's, just ro hear how they are in their stock form.
No on here has compared HD650/6xx Dekoni pads with the stock ones?
Stick with stock. Can't go wrong. Bought dekoni for my elex. Never again. Pads were slightly off center sound was inferior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back