Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 20, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #44,401 of 46,499
This is my end game headphone. Love everything about it for listening in my house and work. The bass is getting ticker with use. I'm at 30/40 hours... break in was always noticable for me with sennheisers cans. Electornic music make a dreamland landscape in your head in this headphones, so much detail in the mids and bass region is incredible.

Aug 20, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #44,402 of 46,499
Sorry Guys If I post here,maybe It's the Wrong section I dunno.
I listen almost exclusively to 70's Psychedelic Blues-rock music focused on overdriven electric guitar tone (Cream/Jimi Hendrix Expericence/Deep Purple/Rory Gallagher ecc)
At the moment, I have a pair of Sennheiser HD518, combined with a cheap ALL in One DAC+AMPLI (Fx-Audio X6MKII).
The sound of my HD518 , which I would call "neutral", has an emphasis of the order of 4/5 db on frequencies 200/250 (It's too much for my taste)
I'm very into Electric Guitar records, so The frequencies that are important to define the presence of the instrument are From 2500 to 4000 k
My question Is:HD600 Is known for His midrange,but is it suitable to fully enjoy the sound of a Fuzzy Hendrix solo or The saturated tone of Neck Pickup Blackmore Fender Stratocaster?

Aug 21, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #44,403 of 46,499
I listen almost exclusively to 70's Psychedelic Blues-rock music focused on overdriven electric guitar tone (Cream/Jimi Hendrix Expericence/Deep Purple/Rory Gallagher ecc)
At the moment, I have a pair of Sennheiser HD518, combined with a cheap ALL in One DAC+AMPLI (Fx-Audio X6MKII).
The sound of my HD518 , which I would call "neutral", has an emphasis of the order of 4/5 db on frequencies 200/250 (It's too much for my taste)
I'm very into Electric Guitar records, so The frequencies that are important to define the presence of the instrument are From 2500 to 4000 k
My question Is:HD600 Is known for His midrange,but is it suitable to fully enjoy the sound of a Fuzzy Hendrix solo or The saturated tone of Neck Pickup Blackmore Fender Stratocaster?

The 600 will excel under these criteria

Aug 21, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #44,404 of 46,499
Are you experienced? You are not, if you have not listened to JH via Sennheiser HD-600…

Aug 22, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #44,405 of 46,499
I see you posted this in the HD600 thread as well. I own both - marble HD600 and HD650. I’ve been in this hobby more than 45 years and have tried and rejected many pricier headphones. Once you get hooked on the HD600/650, it can be hard to justify the spending for megabuck cans. Anyway, I just want to add that, for me, if my primary diet was 70’s classic rock (and I do listen to plenty of Hendrix/Zappa/Dead/Clapton/Allman Bros., etc.), I might prefer the slightly warmer/bassier/more forgiving sound of the 650 over the more neutral 600, simply due to the nature of the original recordings from that period. That being said, you couldn’t go wrong with either choice. Both will scale well with improvements in sources and amplification. Mine are older ‘marble’ 600s and sennheiser 650s. I make no representation one way or the other on the newer all grey 600s or the Drop 6xx, as I have not heard them.

Aug 22, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #44,406 of 46,499
I see you posted this in the HD600 thread as well. I own both - marble HD600 and HD650. I’ve been in this hobby more than 45 years and have tried and rejected many pricier headphones. Once you get hooked on the HD600/650, it can be hard to justify the spending for megabuck cans. Anyway, I just want to add that, for me, if my primary diet was 70’s classic rock (and I do listen to plenty of Hendrix/Zappa/Dead/Clapton/Allman Bros., etc.), I might prefer the slightly warmer/bassier/more forgiving sound of the 650 over the more neutral 600, simply due to the nature of the original recordings from that period. That being said, you couldn’t go wrong with either choice. Both will scale well with improvements in sources and amplification. Mine are older ‘marble’ 600s and sennheiser 650s. I make no representation one way or the other on the newer all grey 600s or the Drop 6xx, as I have not heard them.
Thank You Strat... I have to create a new setup starting from a New pair of Headphone..Probably a pair oh HD600
I listen exclusively FLAC/.WAV file audio ripped by myself from my CD collection...16/44hz-24/96hz
I have to upgrade my DAC and Buy a Headphone Amplifier
I am weighing a few options for a DAC in the Range 300/400 Euro with a Non-analytic sound...

Aug 22, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #44,407 of 46,499
... I might prefer the slightly warmer/bassier/more forgiving sound of the 650...
Agree. I've had the HD650 for years, tried the 600 but it didn't stick. I couldn't live without the HD650 bass, and it is especially flattering with e.g. Jimi.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #44,409 of 46,499
I am a headphone junkie....

Aug 27, 2021 at 2:27 AM Post #44,414 of 46,499
Anyone here that tried the copper weight mod from customcans?
Interesting question, i used the customs cans mods on my hd25 (standard and alu) as the original sound was improved imo - however i did not want to mess around with the hd650 apart from adding a silver/copper cable as the sound seems perfect to me with a hybrid headphone amp. Although the mod can be removed easily, replacing the foam appears more tricky if this is removed as suggested in the instructions.

I would be interested in the responses to this - i have had superb help and service from custom cans in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back