Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Oct 12, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #43,669 of 46,514
https://majorhifi.com/sennheiser-hd650-review/

omg, did this guy even listen to them??
Maybe you're forgetting 2016, during which everything that happened was the exact opposite of what everybody thought would happen, everything that was said was the exact opposite of what people thought should be said. It was International Backwards Year (in the spirit of backwardness, at the time we called it "what could go wrong?" or "everything is fine" year). In that light, this review is perfectly reasonable and accurate.

Oct 12, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #43,670 of 46,514
https://majorhifi.com/sennheiser-hd650-review/

omg, did this guy even listen to them??

Considering the amplifier used if it’s anything like other Hifiman amps I’ve used is aggressive and dynamic sounding and make even the HD 650 sound edgy he probably did. I’ve actually heard the HD 650 sound like how he described them on some systems.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2020 at 9:30 PM Post #43,671 of 46,514
Where has this headphone been all my life... For 10+ years I've been missing out! I've owned a lot of closed back consumer grades from the older bose comforts to beats pro/studio, a bunch of consumer iems to tin t2 to now my first open back headphone... From the countless reviews and impressions I've read from the headphone being neutral, that it might be a little short on bass response if youre coming from a consumer grade headphone, I notice it all. And to finally hear it for myself, I can see why its been loved for so long. I mainly listen to edm so Im accustomed to the audio thumping in b/w my head and so I've been weary of open backs... Yet, the spacial presentation and detail you cannot otherwise notice is amazing!

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #43,672 of 46,514
Question... I've noticed worn pads on my 600's sound better than newer ones. The treble is a little smoother with slightly deeper bass. Would the same apply for the 650's? (In which case I would assume the 650's would sound better with newer pads)

Oct 15, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #43,673 of 46,514
Question... I've noticed worn pads on my 600's sound better than newer ones. The treble is a little smoother with slightly deeper bass. Would the same apply for the 650's? (In which case I would assume the 650's would sound better with newer pads)

My pads aren't worn yet on my HD6XX, but on my HD600 I definitely preferred slightly worn pads. It made it less bright. More comfortable, too.

Oct 16, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #43,676 of 46,514
Hey guys Ive had my HD650 for probably 4-5 years now and I love them. But Ive always been thinking about probably buying into the HD800S. Any experience with these cans from a HD650 owners perspective?
I’m with Ichos on this. The HD800S is a completely different sounding headphone compared to the 650. Where the latter is linear, warm, intimate and almost euphonic sounding the former feels bright, distant, highly detailed and almost like a surgical instrument.
If you can’t audition the 800 before a purchase yet continue to fantasise about it..I’d recommend you go for something like the 600 ohm DT880 instead. Reason being that it is waaaay cheaper and actually sounds fairly close to an 800 tuning-wise...or put another way: if you dig the DT880 chances are you’ll dig the 800 as well:)
But yeah...truly upgrading from the 650? I don’t think you can...not at this point in time anyway. You can get better bass extension/performance via a Focal Clear or indeed an Aeolus/Auteur but you sacrifice the mids and treble in order to get there. I have still to find a headphone, regardless of pricetag, that trumps the 600/650 in mids and treble realism.

Oct 16, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #43,677 of 46,514
I’m with Ichos on this. The HD800S is a completely different sounding headphone compared to the 650. Where the latter is linear, warm, intimate and almost euphonic sounding the former feels bright, distant, highly detailed and almost like a surgical instrument.
If you can’t audition the 800 before a purchase yet continue to fantasise about it..I’d recommend you go for something like the 600 ohm DT880 instead. Reason being that it is waaaay cheaper and actually sounds fairly close to an 800 tuning-wise...or put another way: if you dig the DT880 chances are you’ll dig the 800 as well:)
But yeah...truly upgrading from the 650? I don’t think you can...not at this point in time anyway. You can get better bass extension/performance via a Focal Clear or indeed an Aeolus/Auteur but you sacrifice the mids and treble in order to get there. I have still to find a headphone, regardless of pricetag, that trumps the 600/650 in mids and treble realism.
Nice post. Where would you put the Beyerdynamic T1 gen 2 headphones in that mix?

Oct 16, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #43,678 of 46,514
Is there any difference between the original 6XX made in Ireland vs. current 6XX model made in Romania?

Oct 16, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #43,679 of 46,514
Nice post. Where would you put the Beyerdynamic T1 gen 2 headphones in that mix?
Thanks.
T1 2.gen is like a warm and more laidback HD800 with strong treble (though located slightly higher up compared to the Sennie). To me it’s like a luxury u-shaped signature headphone. For peeps into that kind of voicing I figure it’s the proverbial bee’s knees.

Oct 16, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #43,680 of 46,514
These Drop Sennheiser 6xx are my first serious headphones. I really enjoy listening to music on them. I am new to the whole headphone game.

Are there any IEMs (less than $200) that sound similar to the 6xx for portable use? (Meaning driven by phone LG V30). I realize that they will not be as good. I guess I'm looking for affordable, portable IEMs with a similar sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back