Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 17, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #43,172 of 46,514
Last edited:
Feb 17, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #43,173 of 46,514
I‘ve had my HD6XX for few years with out a quality amplifier to drive them. I have DSC Bartók on the way, so now I need a balanced headphone cable. There are thousands of posting on the HD-650 & HD6XX but it’s overwhelming to find specific / recent recommendations regarding what top current contenders might be the best balanced headphone cable to really open up the HD6XX. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Or simply re-terminate your existing cable.

HD650 XLR.jpg

Feb 18, 2020 at 1:27 AM Post #43,174 of 46,514
I didn't audition a pair, took in all the information on this great forum and read reviews. I read about this veiled sound or that they are laid back and I'm honestly not hearing it.

I can't say the same from my experience. I would say it depends from which gear you were using before.

I went from using a Hifiman HE-400i to the HD650 and I would describe the "veil" as present and the overall signature as laid back - granted I was coming from a brighter sounding signature.

But that is my opinion as an avid headphone guy.

Feb 18, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #43,175 of 46,514
I can't say the same from my experience. I would say it depends from which gear you were using before.

I went from using a Hifiman HE-400i to the HD650 and I would describe the "veil" as present and the overall signature as laid back - granted I was coming from a brighter sounding signature.

But that is my opinion as an avid headphone guy.

Though I would never use the v-word in this thread, since it typically leads to food fights, my years of HD600/650 listening show me an up-front personality, certainly not a laid back one. I’m talking about overall presentation, not just narrow hf emphasis or roll off.

My HD800S, by comparison, is relaxed, albeit with greater transparency top to bottom.

Feb 18, 2020 at 6:41 AM Post #43,176 of 46,514
Though I would never use the v-word in this thread, since it typically leads to food fights, my years of HD600/650 listening show me an up-front personality, certainly not a laid back one. I’m talking about overall presentation, not just narrow hf emphasis or roll off.

My HD800S, by comparison, is relaxed, albeit with greater transparency top to bottom.
I went from AKG Q701's to HD650's and I do not find the HD650's laid back at all. Very lively and upfront. I love them and wish I'd ditched the AKG's a long time ago.

Feb 18, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #43,177 of 46,514

My opinion was referencing moving from HE-400i to the HD650. The HE-400i has an upfront presentation among the other Hifiman offerings. The vocals and instruments are really emphasized in its sound signature, hence why I say the HD650 is 'laid back' when I was used to that particular sound signature and moved to the HD650 thereafter.

Coming from the Oppo PM-3 and moving to the HD650, I will completely agree with your statement that the HD650 isn't 'laid back' in its sound signature. The PM-3s were leaned towards that than the HD650 from my experience. The HD650 sounds more even, well balanced and upfront in presentation compared to the PM-3.

This is my take and I respect your opinion on them. It's all part of this hobby :relaxed:

Feb 19, 2020 at 7:24 AM Post #43,178 of 46,514
I love my new HD6XX, and I am blown away in general because of how great it sounds compared to more regular headphones. NOW, the question now is, what headphones can complement it in a 2 headphones collection?? I would like to get now something with much more soundstage, with music not so closed to the ears, not so intimate, with more sub base and then keeping the high detail, if possible. Any suggestions? I was thinking about some planar, like Fostex TR50, but being in Europe is a bit complicated to get it modded like Argon in USA... Any suggestions?

Feb 19, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #43,179 of 46,514
HD650 definitely doesn't sound "laid-back", at least not compared to my other cans. It has a smaller soundstage than HFM HE500 and AKG k712 and is just a tad darker, but the difference is nothing dramatic. My HD650 is from 2006. My HD650, k712 and HE500 have quite similar sound signature. I would call them "warmish". k712 is the flattest and most resolving one (in all regions). Quite typical studio can. HE500 is the "cleanest" sounding with the head shaking deep bass, but quite neutral. HD650 is the one I would call the most musical.

An answer to Lolito's question. As a second can for you, the one with much more soundstage but similar sound signature, I would recommend AKG k712 Pro. It is definitely worth an audition. It is also quite affordable in Europe.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2020 at 3:31 AM Post #43,180 of 46,514
I love my new HD6XX, and I am blown away in general because of how great it sounds compared to more regular headphones. NOW, the question now is, what headphones can complement it in a 2 headphones collection?? I would like to get now something with much more soundstage, with music not so closed to the ears, not so intimate, with more sub base and then keeping the high detail, if possible. Any suggestions? I was thinking about some planar, like Fostex TR50, but being in Europe is a bit complicated to get it modded like Argon in USA... Any suggestions?

As I wrote in my previous post. AKG k712 Pro will give you similar signature but with larger soundstage and a little more "balanced" sound. It is worth an audition.

Feb 20, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #43,181 of 46,514
As I wrote in my previous post. AKG k712 Pro will give you similar signature but with larger soundstage and a little more "balanced" sound. It is worth an audition.
As i said in my previous post, i dont want the same signature, i want more bass. And both akg or beyerdynamics not big fan of really. Maybe i go fostex or audeze.

Feb 20, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #43,183 of 46,514
HD650 definitely doesn't sound "laid-back", at least not compared to my other cans. It has a smaller soundstage than HFM HE500 and AKG k712 and is just a tad darker, but the difference is nothing dramatic. My HD650 is from 2006. My HD650, k712 and HE500 have quite similar sound signature. I would call them "warmish". k712 is the flattest and most resolving one (in all regions). Quite typical studio can. HE500 is the "cleanest" sounding with the head shaking deep bass, but quite neutral. HD650 is the one I would call the most musical.

An answer to Lolito's question. As a second can for you, the one with much more soundstage but similar sound signature, I would recommend AKG k712 Pro. It is definitely worth an audition. It is also quite affordable in Europe.

After getting the Hifiman HE-500 and getting accustomed to it's sound signature, I would definitely agree with you that the HD650 is not laid back sounding. Again, my reference point is the HE-400i, which has an upfront presentation.

I also agree that the HE-500 and HD650 actually have a very similar sound signature, albeit the HE-500 has I think a better treble presentation, making them more engaging listen than the HD650. However, I still use the HD650 during times that I just want to listen to music as a background and not purposely listen to music. The HD650 is still an excellent sounding headphone, hence why I still use them on a daily basis. They're just not as great for EDM or songs that has a lot of sub bass as the HE-500s are for those songs.

I think a planar headphone would be a great complement for the HD6XX (Hence why I have a Hifiman HE-500 on hand). I would definitely look at headphones that can provide good sub bass, so Audeze, Hifimans, or even Fostex types of headphones should fit the bill. Beyerdynamic DT1990 is non-planar, but based from what I've read (never had them), they might fill the good soundstage type of presentation you're looking for.

It would be good to look up on all the common offerings for those brands I've mentioned (i.e. Audeze LCD-1, LCD-2 variants, Hifiman Sundara, 560, Ananda, Fostex TH610 to name a few) and read about what other people's experiences are with those so you get a good idea on how they would sound and you can narrow down your choices based on your budget and type of sound they present.

Feb 20, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #43,184 of 46,514
Maybe you should think of something radically different. One headphone I use a lot in my office, where I also have the HD650 and the HE400i (which I am using as I type this), is the 1More H1707 "triple driver" over ear. This is a closed headphone that is not pretending to be neutral but is a lot of fun. The review at https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/1more-triple-driver-over-ear-headphones is, in my opinion, accurate. My version is the graphene (silver) one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back