Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 23, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #43,186 of 46,499
After getting the Hifiman HE-500 and getting accustomed to it's sound signature, I would definitely agree with you that the HD650 is not laid back sounding. Again, my reference point is the HE-400i, which has an upfront presentation.

I also agree that the HE-500 and HD650 actually have a very similar sound signature, albeit the HE-500 has I think a better treble presentation, making them more engaging listen than the HD650. However, I still use the HD650 during times that I just want to listen to music as a background and not purposely listen to music. The HD650 is still an excellent sounding headphone, hence why I still use them on a daily basis. They're just not as great for EDM or songs that has a lot of sub bass as the HE-500s are for those songs.

I think a planar headphone would be a great complement for the HD6XX (Hence why I have a Hifiman HE-500 on hand). I would definitely look at headphones that can provide good sub bass, so Audeze, Hifimans, or even Fostex types of headphones should fit the bill. Beyerdynamic DT1990 is non-planar, but based from what I've read (never had them), they might fill the good soundstage type of presentation you're looking for.

It would be good to look up on all the common offerings for those brands I've mentioned (i.e. Audeze LCD-1, LCD-2 variants, Hifiman Sundara, 560, Ananda, Fostex TH610 to name a few) and read about what other people's experiences are with those so you get a good idea on how they would sound and you can narrow down your choices based on your budget and type of sound they present.

Thanks. I also don't want to break the bank really, a certain planar like a modded fostex t50rp should be fine. I like the cheap sennheiser hd-25, the dj headphones, very nie bass signature, only complaint about those is the on ear design instead of over ear. Anyhow, are there really decent planar's for under 500€?

Feb 23, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #43,188 of 46,499
I've noticed that when I use my HD 650 with my laptop, I only need max 20% volume to play my music at my normal listening levels.

But the thing is, the bass is quite weak from my laptop. Is the HD 650 still being underdriven by my laptop, despite getting loud at 20% volume?

Feb 23, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #43,189 of 46,499
Anyhow, are there really decent planar's for under 500€?

At the top of my head, I am seeing the Hifiman Sundara, Ananda (sometimes), Fostex T50RP, Audeze LCD-1, or even Argons are ones I think are good planars under your price bracket, especially in the used market.

I've noticed that when I use my HD 650 with my laptop, I only need max 20% volume to play my music at my normal listening levels.

But the thing is, the bass is quite weak from my laptop. Is the HD 650 still being underdriven by my laptop, despite getting loud at 20% volume?

It is likely. You can still get loud volume, but the sound being produced is likely already being distorted as your laptop is not likely giving it enough power. This is evident by shrill highs, absence of bass presence, and maybe even distorted mid frequencies from the HD650s.

It might be time to get an AMP or a DAC/AMP combo for your laptop for the HD650s.

Feb 23, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #43,191 of 46,499
Thanks. I also don't want to break the bank really, a certain planar like a modded fostex t50rp should be fine. I like the cheap sennheiser hd-25, the dj headphones, very nie bass signature, only complaint about those is the on ear design instead of over ear. Anyhow, are there really decent planar's for under 500€?
The Amperior would be a nice complement (closed, high PRaT, fun sounding, no pretense to be neutral, very efficient, very good sounding at low volume---all characteristics that are in contrast to the HD650's) to the HD650. It is my favorite night-time headphone. The Amperior is the only headphone in the HD-25 family that I know. The H1707, which I mentioned before, has similar characteristics to the Amperior, but with less efficiency and an even more "fun" signature.

Feb 24, 2020 at 1:33 AM Post #43,192 of 46,499

While I really get tired of seeing power be the eternal scapegoat for anybody who likes to make random guesses, the suggestion to get an external amp might be good advice. Maybe a DAC too? Not because you'd need a "good" DAC, but because it might be the only way to bypass the crappy amp section of the laptop.
If you look for an amp, just don't fall for the silliness of huge power numbers(which into 300ohm can only mean high gain you can't use). With this headphone, all it will probably give you is a hard time adjusting the volume, and maybe some annoying channel imbalance.

As for bass, I'd suggest to start with an EQ. And maybe follow up with a different headphone as the hd650 is not a bass heavy headphone. If you have tried the hd650 on other devices(cellphone, DAP, amp, lawnmower...) and only the laptop rools off the low end too much, it's possible the sound card has some extra crap DSP turned ON, or maybe you're getting a high pass filter from output caps. Into 300ohm that shouldn't be much, but it may still be very much audible and disappointing. Sadly the solution against capacitors is yet again to get another amp or dac+amp.

Feb 24, 2020 at 5:18 AM Post #43,194 of 46,499
I'm curious for everyone here, do you guys use high gain on your amps when listening to the HD650 or is the low gain setting where you usually listen to?
When i'm using my THX 789 i'm usually at medium gain at about 11 to 12 o'clock. Its the perfect balance if you want a bit more volume if you find low gain to be a bit too quiet. I rarely if ever touch high gain.

Feb 24, 2020 at 5:41 AM Post #43,195 of 46,499
I'm curious for everyone here, do you guys use high gain on your amps when listening to the HD650 or is the low gain setting where you usually listen to?

High gain, not for volume - there is plenty of that on low gain also, but I think it sounds better on high. More dynamic, musical, which could have something to do with less feedback being used on high gain (on the amps I listen with anyway).

Feb 24, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #43,196 of 46,499
While I really get tired of seeing power be the eternal scapegoat for anybody who likes to make random guesses, the suggestion to get an external amp might be good advice. Maybe a DAC too? Not because you'd need a "good" DAC, but because it might be the only way to bypass the crappy amp section of the laptop.
If you look for an amp, just don't fall for the silliness of huge power numbers(which into 300ohm can only mean high gain you can't use). With this headphone, all it will probably give you is a hard time adjusting the volume, and maybe some annoying channel imbalance.

As for bass, I'd suggest to start with an EQ. And maybe follow up with a different headphone as the hd650 is not a bass heavy headphone. If you have tried the hd650 on other devices(cellphone, DAP, amp, lawnmower...) and only the laptop rools off the low end too much, it's possible the sound card has some extra crap DSP turned ON, or maybe you're getting a high pass filter from output caps. Into 300ohm that shouldn't be much, but it may still be very much audible and disappointing. Sadly the solution against capacitors is yet again to get another amp or dac+amp.
I did use my Chord Mojo for a long time with the 650s, and it did have a bit more bass impact, but the quantity of the bass was the same.

But people also said that the Mojo wasn't powerful enough for the 650s, so it would be more likely the same scenario.

Feb 24, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #43,197 of 46,499
I did use my Chord Mojo for a long time with the 650s, and it did have a bit more bass impact, but the quantity of the bass was the same.

But people also said that the Mojo wasn't powerful enough for the 650s, so it would be more likely the same scenario.

The HD 6XX/650 does need some power. I do find my Asgard 3 with the Bifrost 2 does adequately power them and the best I've heard them on any system I've owned, they are not lacking in terms of bass impact at all on the system. Usually listen to my T1.2 or RR 1 Conquest though, but there are times I'm in the mood for the HD 6XX.

Feb 24, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #43,198 of 46,499
With everything else equal, and assuming the low gain setting reaches ample loudness for your use, then you usually would leave it on low gain and switch to high gain when extra voltage(loudness) is required. It's probably worth separating input gain from the sort of output gain switch we find on some headphone amps. For input gain switch, the switch is there to adjust the input voltage from the DAC, so you just set it as advised depending on your DAC's output. You'd usually have some information about this from the manufacturer, telling you to switch when the input reaches X volt RMS, peak to peak, dBu...

On the other hand, some headphone amps will have a gain switch specifically to allow the use of a wider range of output voltages or loads. Among those, you will also find some designs where the low gain was kind of dedicated to very low impedance and high sensi headphones/IEMs. So the impedance output will be very low and the focus would be on low noise floor. While the high gain could be higher impedance with everything done to provide good result and high voltage into low sensi and high impedance headphones.

Now all those variables can turn out to have a noticeable sound change on occasion, and I guess, so long as nothing gets saturated, the listener may pick whatever he fancies most. But I don't believe that subjective flavor was the intended function of those switches. Plus I bet that most people get tricked into perceiving more differences than there really are, because one setting is simply louder at the time you select it. Same mental trick as with balanced VS single ended outputs that made most reviews to widely exaggerate if not make up the perceived differences.

The mojo has extremely low impedance, so if your laptop has relatively high impedance output(mine is close to 70ohm!!!), I believe the difference in damping might be enough to feel, maybe a tighter sound, or at least a difference from the little bump near 100Hz on the Hd650.

I don't remember all the specs of the mojo, but I know that it was still very fine near 5V into 300ohm. So there is no reason to suspect a power issue when driving the hd650. At least not if you listen to music without trying to break your ears.
Unless you're planning to make the bass feel louder by adding loads of distortions, I'll stick to my guess that an amplifier is not the answer to your desire for more bass. It might very much improve the sound compared to a typical laptop's HO. But if you have a specific craving for more bass, or maybe just more sustained subs, EQ or even better, another headphone will be the answer IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back