Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 28, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #43,201 of 46,499
Just a few hours ago i received a used mint condition hd650.Sounds excellent in my opinion.Interesting thing is that they sound like my moondrop kanas pro iem.(oh sorry kpe sounds like hd650 because senns is the oldest model).I think they tuned it like hd650.Anyone recommend a good desktop amp for under$200 for senns.Currently using with fiio x5ii+topping nx3s portable stack.Have RHA dacamp l1 but not checked yet.
Happy to join HD650 family friends..:v:

Mar 2, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #43,202 of 46,499
Do you guys think a beefier pleather pads will give more bass response?

Mar 5, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #43,206 of 46,499
I'm curious for everyone here, do you guys use high gain on your amps when listening to the HD650 or is the low gain setting where you usually listen to?
I Only use high Gain on Headphones. My impression is a richier sound and better detailing. I only use the low gain on very sesitive in-ears, just to have a better volume controll, but I always prefer the soung at a high gain.
Using my Magni 3+, in particular, I perceive a big quality improvement from low to high gain.

Mar 5, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #43,207 of 46,499
I do not know myself what is better, I do know some people recommend the exact opposite; better low gain at max volume... Again, I do not know what is better, I do prefer low gain myself.

Mar 5, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #43,208 of 46,499
Just a few hours ago i received a used mint condition hd650.Sounds excellent in my opinion.Interesting thing is that they sound like my moondrop kanas pro iem.(oh sorry kpe sounds like hd650 because senns is the oldest model).I think they tuned it like hd650.Anyone recommend a good desktop amp for under$200 for senns.Currently using with fiio x5ii+topping nx3s portable stack.Have RHA dacamp l1 but not checked yet.
Happy to join HD650 family friends..:v:
I told somebody this as well, and recommended it because that person was lookijg for iem that sounds like HD650. KPE is HD650 in iem form with subs.

Mar 5, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #43,209 of 46,499
Is it possible for the bass to somehow become softer hitting if the drivers are blown out a tiny bit, yet leaving the mids and highs perfectly fine?

The bass used to hit clearly harder 2 months or so ago. I just want to know if it has have to do with the drivers being blown out a little bit, or something along those lines.

Mar 6, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #43,211 of 46,499
It happened to me multiple times where I thought my HD650 was either veiled, lacking bass, or too emphasized in the upper mids (or a combination of those things).

Turns out they're very fit dependent, and they sound great even out of an ipad or laptop with the correct placement (pad openings covering your earhole as much as possible) and ofcourse better with better equipment
Unfortanetly, while this is still true for the mids and highs, the bass is always weak as of right now..

I really don't know what happened. All of a sudden, the bass has became weaker, yet the mids and highs are the exact same as I can remember? Anyone else that can chime in?

Mar 6, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #43,212 of 46,499
Unfortanetly, while this is still true for the mids and highs, the bass is always weak as of right now..

I really don't know what happened. All of a sudden, the bass has became weaker, yet the mids and highs are the exact same as I can remember? Anyone else that can chime in?

What DAC/Amp are you using? Do you have other headphones to test to confirm that it's not your source?

Maybe the earpads have worn down too much? Seems unlikely after just two months, but so does the bass just disappearing without affecting the mids and highs.

Mar 6, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #43,213 of 46,499
What DAC/Amp are you using? Do you have other headphones to test to confirm that it's not your source?

Maybe the earpads have worn down too much? Seems unlikely after just two months, but so does the bass just disappearing without affecting the mids and highs.
Right now my laptop, my Chord Mojo is send for modding to someone. But I never had issues with weak bass on my laptop either. In fact, I found it too boomy with my HD 650, now it's the opposite.

The pads have worn down a bit more, but just a little bit. Could this be why all of a sudden the bass seams weaker, do slightly more worn out pads give less bass?

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #43,214 of 46,499
I recently put the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin leather pads on my HD650's and am really enjoying them

Mar 6, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #43,215 of 46,499
Right now my laptop, my Chord Mojo is send for modding to someone. But I never had issues with weak bass on my laptop either. In fact, I found it too boomy with my HD 650, now it's the opposite.

The pads have worn down a bit more, but just a little bit. Could this be why all of a sudden the bass seams weaker, do slightly more worn out pads give less bass?

It seems unlikely after just a couple months of use, I don't have a better explanation though if you're sure it's not the laptop. I would suggest trying them on a different source if you have access to one though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back