Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 24, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #42,496 of 46,553
giphy.gif

May 24, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #42,498 of 46,553
This is a serious question and I’m truly not trying to sound like a smarta$$.

Some of you are literally buying specific kinds of glasses/frames due to wearing headphones?

I don’t know what kind of glasses everyone is wearing but I’ve never had a single issue that has been brought up in the last few pages. I’ve been wearing glasses for 30+ years and they’ve never sqeeked, creaked, popped, etc. or really got in the way of my headphones except for positioning when I first started wearing them. It’s just something you have to get used to if you just started wearing glasses. Believe me, you don’t even notice after a while as it’s just part of the headphone. Yeah, maybe it’s a bit uncomfortable and odd at first so you just need to find the correct position for optimal sound and confort. I could have went the Contacts route but?....no. To much of a PITA for me. Maybe I’m just the exception to the norm so I don’t know.

Anyway, good luck to all the new glass wearers as it will get better. :nerd::metal:
I wear glasses sometimes and think it's not a bad idea to get glasses that work with headphones. Thankfully my HD 650 and DT 1990 aren't affected by my glasses (at least not that I notice), but my PM-3 certainly are. The bass just drops off a cliff. It's really annoying to me that I can't wear them with sunglasses or regular specs, and, in my opinion, completely negates their purported portability. I've got about $1400 worth of headphones (small potatoes to a lot of people here), so spending a couple hundred dollars more to get the most out of them doesn't seem like a bad idea. Mostly, I think that video above was telling people how to select glasses that actually fit properly.

Alas, I doubt I'll ever get audiophile approved glasses, since my head is huge but my face is relatively narrow. Most glasses that are narrow enough for my face have arms that are for much smaller heads. I'll just stick to contacts for the time being.

May 24, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #42,499 of 46,553
This is a serious question and I’m truly not trying to sound like a smarta$$.

Some of you are literally buying specific kinds of glasses/frames due to wearing headphones?

I don’t know what kind of glasses everyone is wearing but I’ve never had a single issue that has been brought up in the last few pages. I’ve been wearing glasses for 30+ years and they’ve never sqeeked, creaked, popped, etc. or really got in the way of my headphones except for positioning when I first started wearing them. It’s just something you have to get used to if you just started wearing glasses. Believe me, you don’t even notice after a while as it’s just part of the headphone. Yeah, maybe it’s a bit uncomfortable and odd at first so you just need to find the correct position for optimal sound and confort. I could have went the Contacts route but?....no. To much of a PITA for me. Maybe I’m just the exception to the norm so I don’t know.

Anyway, good luck to all the new glass wearers as it will get better. :nerd::metal:
Given how cheap glasses are online these days I'd totally buy another pair of glasses if my current ones weren't slender and snug enough to not interfere with my headphones (beyond the occasional friction-squeak which I honestly don't even notice anymore), rather than a different set of headphones. :wink:

May 24, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #42,501 of 46,553
I also have glasses with a thin frame, and it's not a problem with the HD 650. Although when I had a thicker frame 2 years ago, the seal was a bit disturbed, leading to less bass impact and a more distant sound.

May 24, 2019 at 10:09 PM Post #42,502 of 46,553
My glasses frames are not particularly thick, but what I do is I take them off and let the arms sick on top of the ear pads rather than resting on top of my ears. My head is usually stationary when listening, so the lack of security does not really matter. Every so often though, I will forget and bend over to grab something off the floor and they fall off :frowning2:

My girlfriend recently had LASIK, went from a very complex prescription with astigmatism to 20/15 vision in both eyes. Now, obviously there are huge quality of life improvements other than a silly ear pad seal, but I can't help but envy her when I think of using headphones late night without my glasses falling of my face or my eyeballs dry as the Sahara from wearing my contacts.

Maybe I will forgo my next TOTL headphone purchase and get my eyeballs zapped :darthsmile:

May 24, 2019 at 10:22 PM Post #42,503 of 46,553
Thank you very much, I had searched in the Sennheiser official website, but the headband padding didn't appeared. In that spares web there are more parts.

The headphones works perfectly. I am also thinking about buying the original 10€ cable and compare with the Stefan cable, or maybe buy the original parts and sell the Stefan cable because I am very sceptical with the expensive cable improvements, and this one is too long for me (15ft-4,5m). I don't know how much I could sell the cable, but is an option.

I am going to search about the possibility of cutting the 10€ original cable (https://en-uk.sennheiser.com/accessories--hd-650--cable) for obtaining one 1m cable with a 3.5mm jack, and a 2m extension with the 6.35mm plug (for example). I have read somewhere that the original cable has something sticky inside that make it difficult to solder again, but also that burning a little that sticky material may be enough for soldering correctly.
The Stefan Equinox is an excellent cable, which cost $120 in 2004 (the new ones cost in the $400 now, I believe). It has more bass than the original cable, and gives more punch to the HD650. It's worth it. I've used my HD650 and Equinox cable almost exclusively for the last 15 years - now with the new HD6XX. However, I must admit that the original cable has its charm too, just a different, slightly 'leaner' flavor.

May 24, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #42,504 of 46,553
I’ve been thinking all these same things after reading all these posts. Just take your glasses off when listening with your headphones.

If you’re doing other stuff that you need your glasses, a loose seal for a slight loss in bass quantity or even a slight loss in overall sound quality really doesn’t mean much. Youre not “really” listening to music at this point. It’s just music playing in the background while you’re doing something else where your glasses are needed.

May 25, 2019 at 8:40 PM Post #42,506 of 46,553
Hello everyone. My hdxx's are in the mail as we speak and I am thinking my dilvpoetry dax-x6 is not going to do them justice. Great cheap dac/amp though. I am looking to spend upwards of $300USD on something better. I am sure this question has been asked a million times in this thread alone so apologies in advance.

May 25, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #42,507 of 46,553
If you have $300 to spend then I would suggest the Cavalli Tube Hybrid. It works well with the 6xx’s.

May 26, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #42,509 of 46,553
I'll second that. You can find them for around $150 on the for sale forums on here. An absolute steal imo. Leaves him with $150 for a dac. Lol

I'll third that. Separates allow one the versatility to scale up most effectively later. HD___ and that amp will really bloom with a significantly more expensive dac down the road (assuming good source files).

May 26, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #42,510 of 46,553

Users who are viewing this thread

Back