Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 23, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #42,481 of 46,554
Thank you very much. With that precise information, now I am sure that I am going to buy the Sennheiser's connectors and make my own cable. I misunderstood the litz cable, and when I searched better on Google, I remembered that i fought with that kind of cable some years ago repairing some friend's IEMs, and I know that it usually is very difficult to solder.
By the time, I'd prefer not to cut the equinox cable because it scares me to cut a such expensive cable :disappointed_relieved:.
I saw the 1.4 and 3.5mm cable in the link you wrote before for about 20€, and I think that I am going to try doing mine, because I only need the Sennheiser connectors to have the cable complete. Maybe I will finish buying that cable, but first I want to try doing my own cable.

Thank you for your experience, is very usefull. The previous plan was cut the original cable and use a male and a female 3.5mm connector. This way I would have obtained a 1m cable with 3.5mm and an extension/adapter with the 6.35mm male and a 3.5mm female. Anyway, I am agree with you about the litz cable, so I will make my own cable.
Here a link with a Sennheiser cable comparison:
https://www.headfonia.com/sennheiser-hd-cables-comparison/
I have read other comparisons with graphics and measurement analysis, and similar results.

Thank you to both for your help with this subject. I am still a bit new in this hi-fi things

No problemo, good luck!

May 23, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #42,482 of 46,554
Can wearing glasses while wearing the HD650s over them cause weird stuff to happen? I just recently started wearing glasses and I notice when I move my jaw or anything else while gaming and wearing my HD650s that I can hear some strange noises.

May 23, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #42,483 of 46,554
Can wearing glasses while wearing the HD650s over them cause weird stuff to happen? I just recently started wearing glasses and I notice when I move my jaw or anything else while gaming and wearing my HD650s that I can hear some strange noises.
Lol. More weird stuff happening I see. I believe you just need to relax. Wearing glasses will not cause weird things to happen to the sound. I wear glasses and if anything, you “may” lose a bit of bass impact. Otherwise whatever you’re hearing now might be “you” just getting used to this headphone. Otherwise, you might have a faulty unit.

May 23, 2019 at 9:42 PM Post #42,484 of 46,554
I'm in my sixties and have recently started wearing glasses so, I can empathize. I'm still adjusting to wearing the glasses and headphones simultaneously. Unlike you, I don't hear any noises aside from the music. I concur with koover, if the problem persists it just may be a problem with the HPs. Good luck to you.

May 23, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #42,485 of 46,554
I have the optional 3.5 mm 10 foot Senn cable I don't even use since mine is strictly a desktop phone. I have the same vintage 650 and I'm the original owner and the stock cable that came with it was A 6.3 mm SE termination. Make sure you get the correct termination since you want to use your phone(3.5 mm).
I'm going to second @L0rdGwyn in Litz cables are not the easiest to solder because of the wire coating, you may just want to source a different one to your liking as per his suggestion than cable surgery. FYI the Stock 6.3 sounds the same as the balanced 4 pole XLR, I use daily on mine. The only advantage IMO was being able to use balanced amp circuitry on a lower gain setting thusly a blacker or more silent background in quiet passages. The stock Senn cables are decent so don't expect big sonic changes again IMO. Oh and I do have lots of cables for IEM's so I am not a cable disbeliever when the original was not up to snuff.
A Mogami 2893/Canare L-4E5C mini star quad cable makes a noticable difference from the stock cable.. More upfront vocals and bass, more controlled highs and better separation

May 23, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #42,486 of 46,554
Hello everybody. I have just bought an used hd650 (the first version with silver box) at 130€. When I received it, I have seen that it is in good condition, but the cable is not original, it is a 15ft Stefan equinox.

Something strange for me, is that when I plug it to a music source, they sound lower than the fidelio x2. I expected more difficulties for moving the hd650 well because of the impedance.

Also, the headband pad is inexistent completely flat. Do anyone know where can I bought it? I only found the hd600 one (2$) which is different, and the complete headband that is more expensive and unnecessary.

Do you think that is a good purchase? I have 15 days for returning it to the shop
I have a fidelio x2 as well. Yes, the hd650 (hd6xx) needs to be turned up higher on the volume control than the fidelio x2. It's a little harder to drive.
This is true with my magni3 and my objective 2 amps.

May 23, 2019 at 11:36 PM Post #42,487 of 46,554
It was more pronounced with my HD558s than my HD700s, but sometimes if my glasses shift or I adjust the headphones or whatnot the pad will "squeak" a bit as it shifts over the earpieces, is that what you're hearing?

May 24, 2019 at 12:38 AM Post #42,488 of 46,554

Others have left good comments about glasses disturbing the seal of over ear cans, so I won't add to that. For me, I wear plastic frames out and about, but at my head-fi station I wear thin wire frames that hug the temple and don't break the seal at all.

May 24, 2019 at 5:40 AM Post #42,489 of 46,554
It was more pronounced with my HD558s than my HD700s, but sometimes if my glasses shift or I adjust the headphones or whatnot the pad will "squeak" a bit as it shifts over the earpieces, is that what you're hearing?

Eyeglasses with plastic frames will definitely cause them to squeak.

May 24, 2019 at 7:26 AM Post #42,490 of 46,554
Others have left good comments about glasses disturbing the seal of over ear cans, so I won't add to that. For me, I wear plastic frames out and about, but at my head-fi station I wear thin wire frames that hug the temple and don't break the seal at all.
Good idea. Also, here's a video about it.

Last edited:
May 24, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #42,494 of 46,554
May 24, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #42,495 of 46,554
This is a serious question and I’m truly not trying to sound like a smarta$$.

Some of you are literally buying specific kinds of glasses/frames due to wearing headphones?

I don’t know what kind of glasses everyone is wearing but I’ve never had a single issue that has been brought up in the last few pages. I’ve been wearing glasses for 30+ years and they’ve never sqeeked, creaked, popped, etc. or really got in the way of my headphones except for positioning when I first started wearing them. It’s just something you have to get used to if you just started wearing glasses. Believe me, you don’t even notice after a while as it’s just part of the headphone. Yeah, maybe it’s a bit uncomfortable and odd at first so you just need to find the correct position for optimal sound and confort. I could have went the Contacts route but?....no. To much of a PITA for me. Maybe I’m just the exception to the norm so I don’t know.

Anyway, good luck to all the new glass wearers as it will get better. :nerd::metal:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back