Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 13, 2019 at 7:44 AM Post #42,451 of 46,527
I think you probably already know the answer to that question. I only keep a tube setup for the HD650s, it's honestly too good/fun not to use. I'm sure I would have moved on to something else full time if not for the stupidly obsessive desire to collect tubes and see what changes.
You're right, I probably do know the answer to this... But my only experience with tubes is so good with my other headphones, and yet so bad with my HD 650 that I halfway wonder. And then when somebody's impressions of the HD 650 are so different from my own, I really wonder if it isn't a case of different strokes for different folks.

May 13, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #42,452 of 46,527
1/ it's not instantaneous damage because several people have square waves involved in their measurements routines and they don't keep destroying stuff all day long. ...
The square waves used in testing headphones are not large, Innerfidelity used 1V square waves so fundamental component sine wave would be less than 1V rms, ~3mW for HD650, component 3rd harmonic ~0.3mW, 5th harmonic ~0.1mW etc. not exactly destructive levels even into 30 Ohms (they would be 10 times higher then, of course)
Avoiding damage by clipping was more important in multi-way speakers as the tweeters didn't necessarily have a high continuous power handling capability.

Some lead ear burnt both tweeters and one mid-range on my pair of 3 way loudspeakers by turning up a 30W amp so they could hear the music down the back of the garden (speakers were upstairs at the front of the house) :angry:

May 13, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #42,453 of 46,527
I only keep a tube setup for the HD650s, it's honestly too good/fun not to use. I'm sure I would have moved on to something else full time if not for the stupidly obsessive desire to collect tubes and see what changes.
I have happy ears with my HD6XX's and Darkvoice ('54 Sylvania 6SN7GTA and Tung-Sol 7236)*. Interestingly enough, my gf (coming from Beats) prefers my HE-500 + magni 3 over my tube setup ('dat planar bass). Still, I'm glad that she states how both cans outclass her Beats.

*Subject to change of course :wink:

Last edited:
May 14, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #42,454 of 46,527
The square waves used in testing headphones are not large, Innerfidelity used 1V square waves so fundamental component sine wave would be less than 1V rms, ~3mW for HD650, component 3rd harmonic ~0.3mW, 5th harmonic ~0.1mW etc. not exactly destructive levels even into 30 Ohms (they would be 10 times higher then, of course)
Avoiding damage by clipping was more important in multi-way speakers as the tweeters didn't necessarily have a high continuous power handling capability.

Some lead ear burnt both tweeters and one mid-range on my pair of 3 way loudspeakers by turning up a 30W amp so they could hear the music down the back of the garden (speakers were upstairs at the front of the house) :angry:
I strongly suspect that Tyll was using a SPL reference for square waves(and everything else) into headphones/IEMs instead of a fixed voltage. personally I go just loud enough not to start measuring noise in the room instead of the response.

what you say about the tweeters, am I to understand it as the coil getting hot and maybe melting? if so, we're still considering pretty high outputs right? or maybe something really close to full DC signal so the driver wouldn't "fan" itself much to dissipate heat. probably a mix of both. wouldn't all that fall under the big umbrella of "Y U play music so loud?", instead of low power amp clipping and breaking drivers?

beside how I and others have been using square waves without trouble(admittedly at reasonable outputs), there is also the use of "clipped" signal in music. like how many rap albums will have low freq sines that would go over 0dB if they could. they just "cut" the top to take advantage of our brain and let it reconstruct the missing part of the sine to then interpret the signal as being louder than 0dB. so if clipped signals are really bad for a driver, are those songs killing my HD650? I have big doubts about this. most likely the driver is still vibrating for a while around the steady voltage while it's there, and all is good even with a fully clipped signal. and again imagine what fully clipped would sound like:scream: . I get annoyed if I get stuff punctually clipping more than 3dB of signal. I'm worried about total SPL and what the driver is rated to handle, not so much about my driver getting destroyed by a clipping low power amp. again, I don't actually have data on this, only anecdotes, so I could be wrong.

Last edited:
May 14, 2019 at 1:32 AM Post #42,455 of 46,527
I strongly suspect that Tyll was using a SPL reference for square waves(and everything else) into headphones/IEMs instead of a fixed voltage. personally I go just loud enough not to start measuring noise in the room instead of the response.

what you say about the tweeters, am I to understand it as the coil getting hot and maybe melting? if so, we're still considering pretty high outputs right? or maybe something really close to full DC signal so the driver wouldn't "fan" itself much to dissipate heat. probably a mix of both. wouldn't all that fall under the big umbrella of "Y U play music so loud?", instead of low power amp clipping and breaking drivers?

beside how I and others have been using square waves without trouble(admittedly at reasonable outputs), there is also the use of "clipped" signal in music. like how many rap albums will have low freq sines that would go over 0dB if they could. they just "cut" the top to take advantage of our brain and let it reconstruct the missing part of the sine to then interpret the signal as being louder than 0dB. so if clipped signals are really bad for a driver, are those songs killing my HD650? I have big doubts about this. most likely the driver is still vibrating for a while around the steady voltage while it's there, and all is good even with a fully clipped signal. and again imagine what fully clipped would sound like:scream: . I get annoyed if I get stuff punctually clipping more than 3dB of signal. I'm worried about total SPL and what the driver is rated to handle, not so much about my driver getting destroyed by a clipping low power amp. again, I don't actually have data on this, only anecdotes, so I could be wrong.
:disappointed: Sigh
Sound Science?

Are you genuinely misunderstanding what I said, or are you being disingenuous?

May 14, 2019 at 1:49 AM Post #42,456 of 46,527
:disappointed: Sigh
Sound Science?

Are you genuinely misunderstanding what I said, or are you being disingenuous?
you replied to my original doubts about easily damaging drivers with clipping low power amps, but you mention something about tweeters that looks like breaking stuff with raw excess power. so I try to clarify my position(although I don't think my first post was unclear), and try to guess your point. which apparently I failed to do. ^_^

May 16, 2019 at 6:17 AM Post #42,457 of 46,527
Hi All,
I am looking for a portable AMP for my HD6xx, I will be using them while walking around the house so portable setup is all I am looking for.
I am currently running them on FiiO X7II+AM5. I really don't have any idea about portable AMPs driving HD6xx properly, I need your help.
ifi xcan, Topping NX4, FiiO A5 ---- these are the options available for me in India. Are these any good driving HD6xx?

May 16, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #42,458 of 46,527
Hi All,
I am looking for a portable AMP for my HD6xx, I will be using them while walking around the house so portable setup is all I am looking for.
I am currently running them on FiiO X7II+AM5. I really don't have any idea about portable AMPs driving HD6xx properly, I need your help.
ifi xcan, Topping NX4, FiiO A5 ---- these are the options available for me in India. Are these any good driving HD6xx?

If AM05 + X7mkii didn't do it well enough for you, I'm not sure xDSD would do either.

Maybe DX220 + AMP7 would make a huge upgrade as a portable

iDSD from iFi does have a lot of power, the Micro (big one)

FiiO A5 has a ton of powah, but I'm not very sure how it sits with the comfort factor since it is an external amplifier rather than a DAC/AMP

QLS QA361 is rather impressive when in dual voltage + current mode

May 17, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #42,459 of 46,527
If AM05 + X7mkii didn't do it well enough for you, I'm not sure xDSD would do either.

Maybe DX220 + AMP7 would make a huge upgrade as a portable

iDSD from iFi does have a lot of power, the Micro (big one)

FiiO A5 has a ton of powah, but I'm not very sure how it sits with the comfort factor since it is an external amplifier rather than a DAC/AMP

QLS QA361 is rather impressive when in dual voltage + current mode
Thanks George.

I was talking about xCan not xDSD, xCan has more than twice the power than xDSD. I think AM5 has more power than iBasso AMP7.
I am okay carrying around X7II+A5 but just wondering if that will drive the HD6xx properly.

QLS QA361 seems to be very powerful but it will not work for me. I need an Android DAP.

I have been searching a lot of portable tube AMPs and Little bear B4-X has some nice reviews. Did anyone try this with HD6xx?

Last edited:
May 17, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #42,460 of 46,527
Thanks George.

I was talking about xCan not xDSD, xCan has more than twice the power than xDSD. I think AM5 has more power than iBasso AMP7.
I am okay carrying around X7II+A5 but just wondering if that will drive the HD6xx properly.

QLS QA361 seems to be very powerful but it will not work for me. I need an Android DAP.

I have been searching a lot of portable tube AMPs and Little bear B4-X has some nice reviews. Did anyone try this with HD6xx?

Ah, I see

I am quite sure AMP7 from iBasso drives everything better than AM5 from FiiO tho, no raw power, just the overall sound. It is more expensive as well.

I'd suggest considering:

DX220 + AMP7

If you don't max out the loudness on AM05, then the driving power on AMP7 from iBasso should have no issue with HD6XX. That one can drive HIFIMAN He6SE, quite true, not very loud, but it can drive and control one of the world's hardest to drive headphones... :)

May 18, 2019 at 3:00 AM Post #42,461 of 46,527
Ah, I see

I am quite sure AMP7 from iBasso drives everything better than AM5 from FiiO tho, no raw power, just the overall sound. It is more expensive as well.

I'd suggest considering:

DX220 + AMP7

If you don't max out the loudness on AM05, then the driving power on AMP7 from iBasso should have no issue with HD6XX. That one can drive HIFIMAN He6SE, quite true, not very loud, but it can drive and control one of the world's hardest to drive headphones... :)

I am just looking for a portable AMP for HD6xx and DX220 + AMP is almost $1300 here in India. I am very happy with my X7II+AM5 right now and not looking for any DAP upgrade.

May 18, 2019 at 6:14 AM Post #42,462 of 46,527
I am just looking for a portable AMP for HD6xx and DX220 + AMP is almost $1300 here in India. I am very happy with my X7II+AM5 right now and not looking for any DAP upgrade.
Why do you think you need a new amp? I'd say AM5 should be enough. You need more volume or different sound signature? It's hard to think you need more volume because I use AM3A balanced with my HD6XX and I never go past 12 o'clock. It would be painful. And AM5 is more powerful.
Later correction: My mistake, AM3A is more powerful balanced than AM5 but still... I think AM5 should be enough. It has higher peak output voltage than AMA3.

Last edited:
May 18, 2019 at 7:06 AM Post #42,463 of 46,527
Why do you think you need a new amp? I'd say AM5 should be enough. You need more volume or different sound signature? It's hard to think you need more volume because I use AM3A balanced with my HD6XX and I never go past 12 o'clock. It would be painful. And AM5 is more powerful.
Later correction: My mistake, AM3A is more powerful balanced than AM5 but still... I think AM5 should be enough. It has higher peak output voltage than AMA3.
I tried with PC sound card (asus U7) and it's bass is a lot controlled than with X7II+AM5 but everything else sound significantly better on X7II though. That's why I started looking for an AMP.
I am not looking for more volume as I am not going past 90 - 100/120.

Last edited:
May 19, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #42,464 of 46,527
I tried with PC sound card (asus U7) and it's bass is a lot controlled than with X7II+AM5 but everything else sound significantly better on X7II though. That's why I started looking for an AMP.
I am not looking for more volume as I am not going past 90 - 100/120.
PC sound cards generally have boosted bass. I don't think a portable AMP will give you more "controlled" bass. vs X7II+AM5. Maybe try the hardware bass switch on devices like the FiiO Q5 if you need more oomph. I know I like what it does with the 6XX with some records.

May 19, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #42,465 of 46,527
PC sound cards generally have boosted bass. I don't think a portable AMP will give you more "controlled" bass. vs X7II+AM5. Maybe try the hardware bass switch on devices like the FiiO Q5 if you need more oomph. I know I like what it does with the 6XX with some records.
Today I found something with X7II when using as a DAC for my PC, I think it cleared my doubts and X7II+AM5 is more than enough for me now. I already posted this on X7II thread.

I was using X7II as USB DAC today and found there are some enhancements in the Windows 7 Sound Properties.
There are 4 enhancements
Bass Boost - 50 to 600Hz from 3db to 24db
Virtual Surround
Room Correction - If you are using speakers
Loudness Equalization

These options were really helpful for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back