Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 23, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #41,581 of 46,499
I prefer the HD600’s and the HD650’s finish too. “Midnight blue” becomes too plasticky in person.
I have HD650 and HD6XX, I don't see the HD6XX much as it's in its box but it looks OK to me; if I had the HD600 I would have to paint it.

Aug 23, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #41,582 of 46,499
Can anyone chime in what the relative differences will be between the HD 650/6xx with the Ember II with a good tube as compared to the Mojo? Both connected separately on their own, because I can only have 1 device. (DavidA told me in PM, but I want more opinions)

Aug 24, 2018 at 5:20 AM Post #41,584 of 46,499
Well after a lot of pondering I've ordered a set of new hd650 this morning. I've got many headphones but I've always wanted either these or hd600. I was pondering hd660 too but tylls video made me look back at hd650!

Aug 24, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #41,585 of 46,499
Well after a lot of pondering I've ordered a set of new hd650 this morning. I've got many headphones but I've always wanted either these or hd600. I was pondering hd660 too but tylls video made me look back at hd650!
I take it that its hard to get the HD6XX from massdrop in your location?

Aug 25, 2018 at 1:32 AM Post #41,586 of 46,499
Now that I've done some more testing and swapping, I can definitely say that HD 58X does have noticeably more bass. So here's the thing... Both actually do sound good. It might come down to mood or "just how tired your ears currently are".

If something like drum & bass is the main thing you listen, one might (very) likely prefer the HD 58X. HD 58X impresses initially with bass, treble spark and speed. But vocals can get overpowered (everything is relative though). You might guess what might happen to dialogue in movies etc. too. HD 6XX is vocals (and whatever is around that range) over treble and bass. It's also softer and smoother, thus somewhat warmer. HD 58X does have really good bottom end though. It really is quite impressive. It would be really great if it had HD 6XX vocals. I'm still unsure about which one does soundstage better. There are things that HD 58X does better and that's where the quite impressive bass, faster speed and clarity help.

Overall HD 6XX's vocals first approach works best, because most things tend to rely on vocals or dialogue (and the vocal/dialogue quality is better and smoother on HD 6XX). It's highly unlikely that anyone could find HD 6XX fatiguing where HD 58X may be on the edge at times (though not enough to cause fatigue in my case).

Also this is relative to each others. Both are warm, mid centric headphones while the HD 58X has quite a bit more bass (especially sub bass) and more treble spark (also speed across the board).

They are different enough that they compliment each others. HD 6XX owners should consider trying them too. Depending on the person one might very well prefer it. Both sound great and offer a bit different things.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2018 at 1:43 AM Post #41,587 of 46,499
I take it that its hard to get the HD6XX from massdrop in your location?
After custom fees etc it's not a huge saving plus I can get the 650s next day delivery

Aug 25, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #41,588 of 46,499
My hd650s arrived today. I've given them a few hours listening to various genres. Absolutely love them. Loaded my m0 with flacs and plugged it in to a mojo. These headphones sounded amazing. Such clarity but not fatiguing in any way.

Aug 26, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #41,589 of 46,499
I'm just popping in here briefly to say that finally after years of reading about the H650's I finally acquired a pair, the Massdrop version.

I just happened to be in one of those tech trade in stores and they had a mind condition pair of the HD6XX. I actually traded in some old tech of mine (that I couldn't sell on the classifieds) to bring down the price so all I had to hand over was €100.

I don't have any high end dac/amp so I wasn't expecting to be too impressed using them with what I have but boy was I surprised, they sound awesome even out of my LG G5.

My previous good cans were the Phillips Fidelio X2 which I bought because I read that they were almost as good as the Senns. IMO this is rubbish, the Senns are on a completely different level altogether to the X2. Even the bass is on a different level which is what the X2's are known for. Just goes to prove that one can never go by reviews.

I know it's an old cliché that when one gets good cans you will want to listen to all you old music collection again but that is exactly what I am doing. I think they are just superb.

Aug 26, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #41,591 of 46,499
I'm just popping in here briefly to say that finally after years of reading about the H650's I finally acquired a pair, the Massdrop version.

I just happened to be in one of those tech trade in stores and they had a mind condition pair of the HD6XX. I actually traded in some old tech of mine (that I couldn't sell on the classifieds) to bring down the price so all I had to hand over was €100.

I don't have any high end dac/amp so I wasn't expecting to be too impressed using them with what I have but boy was I surprised, they sound awesome even out of my LG G5.

My previous good cans were the Phillips Fidelio X2 which I bought because I read that they were almost as good as the Senns. IMO this is rubbish, the Senns are on a completely different level altogether to the X2. Even the bass is on a different level which is what the X2's are known for. Just goes to prove that one can never go by reviews.

I know it's an old cliché that when one gets good cans you will want to listen to all you old music collection again but that is exactly what I am doing. I think they are just superb.
I also came from the x2’s to the 6xx. I have to say that the x2s were splendid on vocals and produced moments of magic that i haven’t experienced on the senns. But...that bloody bass! It bleeds into the mids and ruins most tracks. Senns much more even and accurate (if a little boring)

Aug 26, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #41,592 of 46,499
I also came from the x2’s to the 6xx. I have to say that the x2s were splendid on vocals and produced moments of magic that i haven’t experienced on the senns. But...that bloody bass! It bleeds into the mids and ruins most tracks. Senns much more even and accurate (if a little boring)
I had the hd600 and x2 and liked both. The hd600 is more revelinh and better for more natural music and maybe even eletric guitars but the x2 is more musical imo.

Aug 26, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #41,593 of 46,499

Hey, you should check out the Hi-Fi Plus addon for your G5!
https://www.lg.com/sg/lg-friends/lg-Hi-Fi-Plus-with-B-and-O-PLAY
Should reproduce about the same sound as my LG V20, and it's fantastic with HD6XX!

On another note, I also owned a pair of X2 before the HD6XX.
I agree that they're on a completely different level, but the biggest change for me was the (lack off) sibilant treble which the X2 had.

Aug 26, 2018 at 6:26 PM Post #41,594 of 46,499
Hey, you should check out the Hi-Fi Plus addon for your G5!
https://www.lg.com/sg/lg-friends/lg-Hi-Fi-Plus-with-B-and-O-PLAY
Should reproduce about the same sound as my LG V20, and it's fantastic with HD6XX!

Hey - yeah thanks but I actually own the add-on HiFi B&O module, should have said. It actually came free with my G5 :) Actually the standard output also plays high-rez files with the right app, which is not too bad either. I also have Dolby Atmos and Viper4android installed on the fone which is good for a bitta extra treble and gain which is all I find I need.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #41,595 of 46,499
For those that really like the HD6XX or HD650 (gets a lot of listen time), what music genre do you listen to most, and is there particular genre you prefer with it, and which ones not (if there are)?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back