Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 20, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #39,617 of 46,514
For those looking for an amplifier for the HD650, do you realize what the job of the amplifier is? It's not to make you go WOW!. It's to amplify the sound. It's job is not to change/color the sound. It's not to make the sound supposedly better then the input signal. The job is to just amp;ify the sound as it is. So why would you be looking for some esoteric expensive amp that has tubes and other stuff you don't need? Just find an amp that does the job. It will be with no tubes and it will be cheaper. You don't need an amp with DAC if your source already is a good DAC.

Aug 20, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #39,619 of 46,514
For those looking for an amplifier for the HD650, do you realize what the job of the amplifier is? It's not to make you go WOW!. It's to amplify the sound. It's job is not to change/color the sound. It's not to make the sound supposedly better then the input signal. The job is to just amp;ify the sound as it is. So why would you be looking for some esoteric expensive amp that has tubes and other stuff you don't need? Just find an amp that does the job. It will be with no tubes and it will be cheaper. You don't need an amp with DAC if your source already is a good DAC.
I'll take an amp that makes me go WOW, over an amp that doesn't, every time. I could care less about the amp itself. Listening to music should be all about how it makes you feel. WOW is a feeling, and anything that helps me achieve my own personal WOW, is a good thing IMO. I'm not recording/producing the music so I don't need complete accuracy and neutrality.

Aug 20, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #39,620 of 46,514
. Anybody try out or have owned very high end headphones and come back to the hd650?

X0LSj

I've more or less tried all the headphones that I think I would like, but not the truly expensive ones. I refuse to pay what some manufacturers are asking these days. Tried LCD-2.2 PF, LCD-3 PF, T1, HD600, Nighthawk, Elear, HE-500 and ZMF Atticus (I need more time with this one). All have been sold or will eventually be sold.

Other headphones may offer more in terms of soundstage, detail retrieval, deeper bass etc. - that's their selling point. The HD650 is so loved, even after all these years and with many having tried even more expensive headphones than I have, because it just sounds "right" for a lack of better word. Music is more or less presented how it is meant to be with a some added warmth. Tonal balance is ideal to my ears. The HD650's selling point and why I keep on coming back to them is because they sound natural, accurate and smooth. This can sound dull to some because they're not getting that incredibly wide soundstage, deep bass, coloration etc.

I've got the Oppo PM-2 (with PM-1 pads which effectively turns it into the PM-1) coming to me in the next few days and might have it modded to the PMx2. I think that might be the only headphone that would be able to beat the HD650 for me. It's got a very flat FR and is meant to be one of the most tonally balanced, if not the most tonally balanced, lowest distortion headphones money can buy. You'll hear what's in the recording - nothing more and nothing less. This doesn't have to mean that the sound is boring. Quite the opposite, I feel. A headphone like the HD650 - and what I suspect the PMx2 to be - are all-rounders because of this. Also likely why I can plug them straight into my phone or laptop and be satisfied. Although an amp clearly improves things.

It's crazy to think that I got it right with my very first purchase (or was it second after the HD600?) of more expensive headphones years ago.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #39,621 of 46,514
HE500 is better
Why do you consider the HE-500 better and for what genres? FWIW the weight of the HE500 is a problem for some like my GF who can only use them for 5-10 minutes before her neck gets sore and others like any of the Audeze LCD series is even worse.

:L3000:and don't forget that its your opinion as @Letmebefrank noted

Aug 20, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #39,622 of 46,514
Both driven at their best I'd take a HD650 for resolve, tone, mids and detail.

HE-500 is excellent though.

The problem with the HD650 is it's a little grainy with poorly defined bass but it's hard to beat without paying out for a modded HD800 rig or going the ZMF Atticus route for more liquid smoothness.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #39,623 of 46,514
Why do you consider the HE-500 better and for what genres? FWIW the weight of the HE500 is a problem for some like my GF who can only use them for 5-10 minutes before her neck gets sore and others like any of the Audeze LCD series is even worse.

:L3000:and don't forget that its your opinion as @Letmebefrank noted
I don't have anyone super high end stuff, I just listen to my music from spotify and Grace m9xx.
He500 - the bass hits harder, and more impact. I also like the vocals better here.
We are talking about 2 great headphones here, so the improvement is not huge. For ME, I would grabbed my he500 first every time. I'm sure those of you who have way better amp and dac and source would have a different view on this matter.

Aug 21, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #39,624 of 46,514
I don't have anyone super high end stuff, I just listen to my music from spotify and Grace m9xx.
He500 - the bass hits harder, and more impact. I also like the vocals better here.
We are talking about 2 great headphones here, so the improvement is not huge. For ME, I would grabbed my he500 first every time. I'm sure those of you who have way better amp and dac and source would have a different view on this matter.

The HE500 and HD650 are my 2 main headphones and I love them both. Both headphones benefit from decent amplification to get the best out of them though. I find that the HD650's are more comfortable for long listening sessions but an aftermarket headband improved the fit, seal and comfort of the HE500's. I'll select one over the other depending on my listening mood and the type of music I'm planning on listening to. I can't ever see getting rid of either of these headphones. I took advantage of the great Massdrop deal on the HD6XX as a backup pair for the HD650 and so that my wife and I can listen simultaneously through my Lake People G109S amp, which has 2 headphone outputs.

Aug 21, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #39,626 of 46,514
What are some headphones worth checking out, which have a similar sound signature as the hd 650? Or would an amp upgrade (Modi 2 into Vali 2 currently) make a noticeable difference right now?
What im looking for in new cans is maybe a little wider soundstage and overall better resolution(If thats possible lol). But smooth sound signature is important.
I absolutely love them and just wanna know if I have something to look for

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #39,627 of 46,514
I would suggest selling the Modi 2 and getting a Multibit DAC. Most say that this is a noticeable and worthwhile improvement that can be used with future gear. I highly recommend at least going for Bimby as you also get GEN 5 USB which provides great sound quality if using USB.

Aug 21, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #39,628 of 46,514
What are some headphones worth checking out, which have a similar sound signature as the hd 650? Or would an amp upgrade (Modi 2 into Vali 2 currently) make a noticeable difference right now?
What im looking for in new cans is maybe a little wider soundstage and overall better resolution(If thats possible lol). But smooth sound signature is important.
I absolutely love them and just wanna know if I have something to look for
Some might not like this suggestion but if you are looking for better sound stage and resolution then the HD700 would be my choice, Modi2/Vali2 will drive them okay for now but I like @cskippy suggestion to get the Mimby or Bimby since these would still be worthwhile over the long term. The only issue with the HD700 is its not forgiving with poorly recorded/mastered tracks so that needs to be considered alone with the genre of music you tend to prefer, and even the level that you listen at.

You might want to fill out your profile so others can provide you with better feed back when asking questions like you have above. Mainly the gear you have/had, preferred genres of music, and other sound related info.

Aug 22, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #39,629 of 46,514
Isn't the general assumption that amp > dac in terms of audible differences? And since both aren't that "high-end" I thought an amp upgrade would do a bigger difference. Genre is a though one since I listen to about everything (that's where the HD 650 shines imo, it can play everything while maybe not perfect at least good). I also game with them and find them way better for this than the beyerdynamic DT 990, even tho the soundstage is smaller.

Aug 22, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #39,630 of 46,514
Personally, I find amp differences very small. As long as they give enough power, don't give off noise, then I'm fine with most amps tbh. That along with even more minor differences with cables makes them the most expensive upgrade for fairly small changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back