Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 6, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #39,196 of 46,565
The bh crack looks like
Read up on some of the Yulong and Aune equipment. SMSL sometimes make good gear for the money, sometimes they don't, you'll have to read up on what's good lately.
I imagine that the latest version of the ZERO DAC/amp combo unit should rock. The Objective2 is also a very nice amplifier, just don't try using it as a portable amplifier.
Little Dot MkV sucks and is noisy, too, unless the Little Dot designer decided to fix its shortcomings in the past few years (doubt it).
Matrix M-Stage is another good option, but get the version without a built-in USB DAC and combine it with some other DAC of your choosing.
I didn't like the audioengine D1 when I tried it. I think that upgrading from it won't be much trouble.

For high-impedance headphones, desktop amps that draw their power from wall outlets are the way to go as they'll usually have the +/-12V or +/-15V power supplies that make HD650 "happy".

The bh crack layout looks like the darkvoice. Does anyone have both to compare sound of the two? The crack is over my budget but I think massdrop has the darkvoice for like 199 sometimes. So was wondering is that a better alternative than the vali2 which is 169.

Jul 6, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #39,197 of 46,565
Darkvoice is a lot larger of an amp than the vali 2 and is an otl amp. From what i can find darkvoice puts out 1w where vali 2 puts 1.2w of power out. The darkvoice will be more tube like as it is just a tube amp, but i would not say it is any better of an amp. Just different.

Jul 6, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #39,198 of 46,565
Well tried that the other day with my brand spanking new 650s but just had to make sure the cats were fed….my reaction after a few cuts….meh : ( ….sorry my HD800S have spoiled me royally but the 650s clamp force does hold up to frantic air guitar…. : )

I know this always a contentious issue but I cannot help to believe these brand new HD650s have come out of their shell after a few days of continues use, loosening of the driver membrane?. Where at first they sounded quite congested, two dimensional and lacked dynamics…therefore rather boring…. they have IMHO improved quite dramatically after 4 days, the sound has opened up quite noticeably with a nice fluidity. :)

Jul 6, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #39,199 of 46,565
The bh crack looks like

The bh crack layout looks like the darkvoice. Does anyone have both to compare sound of the two? The crack is over my budget but I think massdrop has the darkvoice for like 199 sometimes. So was wondering is that a better alternative than the vali2 which is 169.

DarkVoice and Vali2 are different amp designs, DV is a OTL design, similar design to BH Crack, while the Vali2 is a hybrid design. If you only have the HD650 then either will work, if you have other headphones that are low impedance then the Vali2 would be a better choice.

You might want to do some searching on YouTube, there were a few issues with the DV of it smoking.

Jul 6, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #39,200 of 46,565
It pairs well with black label and I don't think you need anything else but that's what I told myself when I paired the schiit stack with 6xx. We keep wanting more; but, you're combo can definitely be a worthwhile investment. I bought my second pair of 6xx just in case because I mod the first one.

Thanks for the feedback! Definitely sounds like a winning combo. I know no amp or DAC or amp/DAC combo is truly "futureproof", but the Black Label seems like something great which should be satisfactory for a while.

Since cost is an issue and I haven't heard the HD650 with a iDSD Black take this recommendation with a grain of salt:
For rock, classical, EDM and electronic music I would go with either a Grado SR-225e (with some mods: ear pads, dynamat in the cups and felt on the back of the button), total cost would be under $220
Another option is to build a Grado clone using a Nhoord driver (total cost $250-400 depending on the parts you select), something like this:
SNIP
The one advantage with either the Nhoord or SR225e is that they are easy to drive and don't need an external amp (saves you the cost of the iDSD for now), and both are more dynamic than a HD650, cleaner bass, more extended highs, but the mids are still better on the HD650.

But if you want a relaxing sound that will never get old then the HD650 + BH Crack is still one of my favorite:
SNIP

I also got in on the HD6XX drop but it will be for me to mod while I keep my HD650 stock. While I don't have any experience with the iDSD I would suggest an amp from Garage 1217, either Polaris or Solstice, both are $250 and are the most flexible amps around since you change the output impedance to better match almost any headphone.

Thanks also for the suggestions, I have been going back and forth between the Grado and the HD650, but didn't want to clog this thread in case this is one of those "unwelcome comparisons." I have heard the SR225 (non-e) on 3 separate occasions for about an hour each. Of course, it's not an overly adequate amount of time, but part of me felt there were times the Grado was too shrill and even unforgiving on some material- and that's why I'm here in this thread! :) Of course, as you pointed out, the Grado is cheaper, but the comfort was an issue for me even on the short audition, and modifying headphones/voiding warranty is something I'm a little reluctant to do (right now, at least).

Has anyone else compared the SR225 versus the 650 who could chip in some insight?

As far as the amps go, I hadn't read up much on Garage 1217 until reading about 200+ pages of this thread :) If they had an option with more "digital" front end options I would definitely consider it more- but one function of the BL that I need is the option to use it as a USB to SPDIF converter with my home theater setup...and having that all in one device is appealing. The value for the dollar with those amps is very stunning though, and I appreciate the suggestion!

Thanks again so much for your warm welcome and helpful thoughts. If anyone has any comparison thoughts with the SR225 I'd appreciate those...or if anyone has a used 650 they're selling I'm always open to referrals for those!

Jul 6, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #39,201 of 46,565
Thanks for the feedback! Definitely sounds like a winning combo. I know no amp or DAC or amp/DAC combo is truly "futureproof", but the Black Label seems like something great which should be satisfactory for a while.

Thanks also for the suggestions, I have been going back and forth between the Grado and the HD650, but didn't want to clog this thread in case this is one of those "unwelcome comparisons." I have heard the SR225 (non-e) on 3 separate occasions for about an hour each. Of course, it's not an overly adequate amount of time, but part of me felt there were times the Grado was too shrill and even unforgiving on some material- and that's why I'm here in this thread! :) Of course, as you pointed out, the Grado is cheaper, but the comfort was an issue for me even on the short audition, and modifying headphones/voiding warranty is something I'm a little reluctant to do (right now, at least).

Has anyone else compared the SR225 versus the 650 who could chip in some insight?

As far as the amps go, I hadn't read up much on Garage 1217 until reading about 200+ pages of this thread :) If they had an option with more "digital" front end options I would definitely consider it more- but one function of the BL that I need is the option to use it as a USB to SPDIF converter with my home theater setup...and having that all in one device is appealing. The value for the dollar with those amps is very stunning though, and I appreciate the suggestion!

Thanks again so much for your warm welcome and helpful thoughts. If anyone has any comparison thoughts with the SR225 I'd appreciate those...or if anyone has a used 650 they're selling I'm always open to referrals for those!

The difference is sound from the original, to the "i" and to the "e" is quite a big change, all of the "e" series are tuned with more bass, less bright and a bit smoother. Comfort is one reason to go for the cheap ($5-6) G pads from ebay, they also give a better sound stage or the stock L pads, and they add about 1-2dB more bass, adding dynamat is reversible so not a problem for warranty. After having a few friends who are new to headphones listen to my modded SR225e almost all liked it better than the HD650 even with the HD650 driven by the BH Crack, most common reason is the HD650 has no excitement and also the fact that you need an amp to really do them justice. Those that have higher end headphones along with separate DACs and amps do like the HD650 over the SR225e half of the time and most would have them as complimentary headphones.

Jul 6, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #39,202 of 46,565
has anyone here had their 650s professionally calibrated by sonarworks?
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/sonarworks-headphone-calibration-software.762969/page-53
just wondering if you're happy with the outcome

I did and couldnt be happier! Made them sound like beasts. Didnt know what I was missing. I first started with the generic hd650 correction and it was an improvement..gets you within +/-3db so I sent them my 650s and the result is within +/-0.9db from 40-20k...FLAT!
I recently purchased new pair of HD800S cans and will likely do the same..try them first with generic calibration and see. Has anyone sent the 800S in to Sonarworks yet?
My advise is try the s/w first..see what you think. Its worth it and Sonarworks has been outstanding in both product and customer support!

Jul 6, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #39,203 of 46,565
I did and couldnt be happier! Made them sound like beasts. Didnt know what I was missing. I first started with the generic hd650 correction and it was an improvement..gets you within +/-3db so I sent them my 650s and the result is within +/-0.9db from 40-20k...FLAT!
I recently purchased new pair of HD800S cans and will likely do the same..try them first with generic calibration and see. Has anyone sent the 800S in to Sonarworks yet?
My advise is try the s/w first..see what you think. Its worth it and Sonarworks has been outstanding in both product and customer support!
many thanks...will be interesting to hear how these puppies scale up with the hugo 2 (i'm part of the tour).
was also considering sending in my sony mdr7520...or selling them and buying some calibrated 7506

Jul 7, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #39,208 of 46,565
Is this because it is lacking dynamics... or is it just because the sound signature is simply too warm for some people?
The sound signature of the HD650 can be too warm for some but its not what i would consider lacking in dynamics. If you hear the Nhoord Red V2 or Ypsilon R1 right before or after you listen to the HD650 you will really notice that the HD650 does not seem extend as low or high and its sound is not as dynamic / impactful. Its really a point of view from where you are coming from and also about how loud one listens, at higher levels the HD650 will seem just as dynamic as the Nhoord and Ypsilon does at lower listening levels, so for myself that listen at relatively low levels the HD650 is just not as dynamic as the Nhoord or Ypsilon.

Jul 7, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #39,209 of 46,565
The whole thing is fairly perplexing, just bought myself a new pair, the ones with the “High Res audio” sticker on the box and the shiny little hologram sticker on the right side driver

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/sennheiser-hd650-impressions-thread.197776/page-2608#post-13578766 ,
and they were totally lacking in dynamics, a blob in the head for the first couple of days and then they just sprang to life.

Right now they sound just about perfect either off my Bryston duo or the SMSL sApII and are giving my 800S a run for their money... very clear (absolutely no veil) with a very natural tone, great image separation and sound staging….base performance is also very truthful...showing off their high end pedigree.

Oddly I do not recall getting a similar performance with my previous 650s, also white mesh and my Masdrop HD6XX although as far as I’m aware there have not been any changes/updates so they should all have the same driver.

All three though were a large leap forward IMHO from what I remember from my older 580/600s and the original 2003 release of the 650 which IMHO did suffer from being overly warm and the “veil” which set my original prejudices regarding the 600 series and a love hate relationship... but these new ones just might make me a convert. :o2smile:

Attachments

• award_logo_v1_Hi-Res-Audio.jpg
    award_logo_v1_Hi-Res-Audio.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 7, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #39,210 of 46,565
Oddly I do not recall getting a similar performance with my previous 650s, also white mesh and my Masdrop HD6XX although as far as I’m aware there have not been any changes/updates so they should all have the same driver.

All three though were a large leap forward IMHO from what I remember from my older 580/600s and the original 2003 release of the 650 which IMHO did suffer from being overly warm and the “veil” which set my original prejudices regarding the 600 series and a love hate relationship... but these new ones just might make me a convert. :o2smile:

hmmm.. That is interesting. Have you a/b your 6xx with the new pair of 650?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back