Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 20, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #38,761 of 46,514
I don't think that the veil is a legend. These headphones just require decent amplification to shine. In my case, the "veil" is reproducible with some of my other amps or straight from a source.

Apr 20, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #38,762 of 46,514

Today the HD650 is selling for $315.00 on Amazon.  I could not tell you the last time they were actually $499.00.  At 15 years plus since release all developmental and equipment costs are paid.  I would being willing to bet there is still a nice profit margin for both Sennheiser and Massdrop.

As the warranty is from Sennheiser they are not going to sell 5,000 subpar headphones that they then have to back.

Plus we get a great set of cans for $200.00. 

wink.gif

This is outside the point of the discussion but there was a period around 2011-12ish when Senn dropped the hammer and the HD-650 and many other of their products snapped back to full MSRP.  For a few years  you almost never saw them on sale.  Street price was similar to today's prices before the change and obviously after but don't take for granted the incredibly cheap price (relatively speaking) that these go for today.  IMHO I think they are still a solid headphone $500...

Apr 20, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #38,763 of 46,514
The last couple of weeks I've been listening to my HD650 on three different setups:

1.The Burson Audio Conductor V2+. Music from MediaMonkey on my laptop.

2. Garage 1217 Project Ember fed by the DAC direct output on the Burson. Music from MediaMonkey on my laptop.

3. A pair of Nuforce HA-200 set up as balanced monoblocks and fed by a Advance Acoustic mda-503 DAC. Music from Shinrico digital media player.

To start with all these setups are powerful enough to drive most headphones and all of them have more than enough power for the HD650.

Furthermore they're all very good sounding with the HD650 and I really like all three setups a lot and they all make the best pairing with one or more of my headphones.

The Burson setup is just a pure bliss, excellent clarity, beste soundstage out of all three amplifiers and not the least the best bass. The Burson does actually manage to make the bass on the HD650 sound fairly tight, despite its slightly wooly character. The Burson does have a quite unique combination of dynamics and air in its presentation that fit the HD650 very well. This is also my favorite amplifier for the Fidelio X2, Meze 99 Classics and Q701's.

The Project Ember (with a 1950's RCA 6SN7 tube) does also perform very well with the HD650 and is not far behind the Burson I it's overall performance. I prefer this combo with the Ember in its 0.1 Ohm output setting but even then is the bass looser than on the Burson and it also lack some air in comparison. This is my favorite amplifier with the HD700.

The AA/HA-200 combo does also sound very nice with the HD650 but despite this is my least favorite combo out of the three tested here. The HA-200 is very smooth and laid back while still remaining highly detailed but in total this pairing lack some energy and drive for my preference. The AA/HA-200 combo is my favorite pairing with the HE400i and SR325is.

After having owned the HD650 for a couple of months now I'm still a bit torn about them. The wooly bass and rolled off treble does not suit my preference well and it does actually make them a bit fatiguing (or dare I say boring) for me with some music. On the other hand male vocals and string instruments are just absolutely sublime and the timbre is so incredibly wonderful. Music like Eric Clapton, Mark Knopfler but also Tears for Fears have never sounded better to me. While I've got several other headphones that are better all-round performers for my preference none of them can beat the midrange of the HD650 and I'm a midrange lover so this means that I value them a lot.

Just my 2c on these classic headphones :)

Apr 20, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #38,764 of 46,514
You just need to do the dynamatt extreme or damplifier pro mod to them, the coin mod, the rear foam removal and a few others mentionedc on specific mod threads.  This will ameliorate those issues you are describing and improve the midrange you already enjoy!

Apr 20, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #38,765 of 46,514
You just need to do the dynamatt extreme or damplifier pro mod to them, the coin mod, the rear foam removal and a few others mentionedc on specific mod threads.  This will ameliorate those issues you are describing and improve the midrange you already enjoy!

So basically all I need to do is rebuild them :wink:

JK, on a more serious note: does any of these mods also increase subbass depth and impact?

Apr 20, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #38,766 of 46,514
Something else to try Peter,

If you perform all of the mods listed below, you'll get an increase in clarity, while retaining smooth treble, and a slight reduction in mid bass which helps the other areas shine through.  

Full mods are front quarter mod, rear foam removal, rear spider removal, HALF a cotton pad using the more porous side, Sennheiser stock foam inside box.  This keeps more of the frequency response the same but attenuates the midbass bump down ~3dB.  Different thickness of cotton attached to the pad would affect the quantity of bass attenuation.  Too thick and it would kill the bass.  Too little, and there would hardly be any effect.  I would error on the side of too little and adjust to taste.

This picture shows my old setup, but is still a visual reference.  Current mods differ with half a cotton nail pad, using porous side, and using the foam cover that comes inside the HD650 box, cut just slightly bigger than the nail pad to hid it and hold it in place.  Make sure you just set the pad on there and don't push it down, as that will attenuate the bass too much. 

I'm also using a piece of felt cut out around the rear structure, which seems to help distortion but isn't necessary.  

f85UwOIFpbN5RFjVjR4FUAdRkPATYofb1gArHLyjYO3hKbvr3lVJ_x74QLNLBkZQ1ffV4hemng_nt3prcfK-DAEk2vHSh-Nb2JiNUkvpoM0nOpcosyNoGtc-nJV8w4wMZjoR87JZBSZQzv0jItMVZQMjkBJDvZRgw0PpHloxGUcFKg2iVCYiNgkC4YSzd6ufIEJYNWQX07ayATqXBvAPi76NiXQ34FegQlN7WVZOyhcRVuDbPBYSLUXoCAJMeOrHzXbiqD8QCj_C79raoJHQSyhetH0188hbMJao-Mq4NPxfmGlau7By3-TRI9aBLHXhMYlxDoJd7RGz6yR0MJ72_KbHF1ZsSeEpbbSVbQxxz3leuHG1ijPaPrQCSSFh6MLuUWsBNB4WDlpjhf12aC9iljVeBFKh7s0W5jN_emQ8jhSDysUrWNIFtvLfxXh7_w7EfDNx3YRllygljXw8TchtYFWK4qpmlEPaphHascLoa6jAO9QrkJs2Ene3TZr3vbzQJQskRpe5HTm1LC-PBnHpECqYzFxjxrzHiY4c0SiZwN11oD7TmNT_IouFu5mLKZbVfLt1jeOEXvPZsfhuIDvaiGw1XY0YYBc0cfSRkKKyM2SvYLXI=w2539-h1298-no

If you don't remove the plastic rear spider, and do the mods, you'll shift the bump down to ~90Hz but you will retain the mid bass reduction the original mod provides.  Make sure you remove the stock rear damping foam that Sennheiser has placed inside the plastic spider.  

Apr 20, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #38,767 of 46,514
  This is outside the point of the discussion but there was a period around 2011-12ish when Senn dropped the hammer and the HD-650 and many other of their products snapped back to full MSRP.  For a few years  you almost never saw them on sale.  Street price was similar to today's prices before the change and obviously after but don't take for granted the incredibly cheap price (relatively speaking) that these go for today.  IMHO I think they are still a solid headphone $500...

In Canada they sell on average between $599.00 up to $645.00 depending on the seller.  They rarely go below the first price quoted.  

Apr 21, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #38,768 of 46,514
  In Canada they sell on average between $599.00 up to $645.00 depending on the seller.  They rarely go below the first price quoted.  

Now is one of those rare times - they're $500.00 on Amazon Canada right now: https://www.amazon.ca/Sennheiser-HD-650-Headphones/dp/B00018MSNI

Compared to the prices people in Canada want for their used 650's, it's an enticing offer(typically $450.00).

Apr 21, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #38,769 of 46,514
I own the la figaro 339 and im looking to buy a new pair of tubes i was hoping for some suggestions im looking for something that keeps the hd650 signature maybe a tube that brings it out a bit tighter bass bigger soundstage im pretty novice about tubes

Apr 21, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #38,770 of 46,514
I own the la figaro 339 and im looking to buy a new pair of tubes i was hoping for some suggestions im looking for something that keeps the hd650 signature maybe a tube that brings it out a bit tighter bass bigger soundstage im pretty novice about tubes

I really like the RCA red 5693 with the337(almost the same amp)/ HD650.

Apr 21, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #38,771 of 46,514
I don't think that the veil is a legend. These headphones just require decent amplification to shine. In my case, the "veil" is reproducible with some of my other amps or straight from a source.

It would be more than "decent amplification" to shine if we are going to blame amplifier as the cause of the veil.

They still sound veiled out of Audeze Deckard ($699). None of my other good cans have this issue running from the Deckard. 

Audeze Deckard should be plenty powerful to give me their true sound.

Apr 21, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #38,772 of 46,514
Try EQing them.  With the right EQ the "veil" goes away.  It's just how they're voiced, bloated mid bass and rolled off treble.  Certain mods, like the one I posted can do wonders for improving their "speed".

Apr 22, 2017 at 1:19 AM Post #38,773 of 46,514

Now is one of those rare times - they're $500.00 on Amazon Canada right now: https://www.amazon.ca/Sennheiser-HD-650-Headphones/dp/B00018MSNI

Compared to the prices people in Canada want for their used 650's, it's an enticing offer(typically $450.00).

Excellent.  Glad to see that.  Thanks CountryBoy.

Apr 22, 2017 at 4:44 AM Post #38,774 of 46,514
There is no veil... 

Anyone who thinks the current silver housed driver HD650 are not clear must have a bad system or have hearing damage. They have warm lower mids and the treble is not etched to compensate this like other headphones. They have superb resolving capabilities and speed. You are trying to change a headphone that has been at the top of the charts for 15 years! It is perfect at what it does. If you want a peaky less warm sound go Beyer nuther headphone... Simples :) 

Apr 22, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #38,775 of 46,514
  There is no veil... 

Anyone who thinks the current silver housed driver HD650 are not clear must have a bad system or have hearing damage. They have warm lower mids and the treble is not etched to compensate this like other headphones. They have superb resolving capabilities and speed. You are trying to change a headphone that has been at the top of the charts for 15 years! It is perfect at what it does. If you want a peaky less warm sound go Beyer nuther headphone... Simples :) 

Of course. 2 options. Either it's the systems fault or I have a hearing problem and it's my fault.

Never blame the actual headphone. Never mind the fact that none of my other headphones sound veiled like the 650.

It's me or my system. Never mind the others who hear a veil, too. Nope, all of them must also have hearing damage or poor amps.

Okay. Sounds fair. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back