Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 27, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #37,456 of 46,554
Is the paint from the headband still chipping / peeling or have they finally solved this issue in the newest revisions available in stores ?

Don't know if this does you any good but I bought mine 5 years ago. The headband didn't start chipping until I had owned them for 3. I suspect that had I stretched the band out properly in the beginning and used a bigger adjustment with the ear cups, the paint would have lasted a lot longer.

Jan 27, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #37,457 of 46,554
That is my problem with your recommendation of staying away from the MS2e, it does not have the sharp peaks, at least for the 2 that I've heard.  The person was asking about the MS2e and HD-650 and also indicated that they like the Grado sound but didn't like sharp peaks which the MS2e does not have compared to the lower end SR series.

The ms1 has about a 10db treble peak and many impressions of the ms2 state similar results.

It's just bad tuning, bad drivers. Grado is a fashion company these days. They don't care about improving their headphones.

Luckily the DIY scene is so robust. The SennGrado I had was much more tonally correct and the newer custom built projects (like what your building David) look very promising.

Jan 27, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #37,458 of 46,554
Quote:
The ms1 has about a 10db treble peak and many impressions of the ms2 state similar results.

This is the only graph of the MS2e that I could find and it does not have the 10db treble peak.

FWIW they sound like this with the bass rolled off but no treble peak, if you want more bass then you can always open a vent hole or 2

Last post since we are getting off topic from HD-650

Jan 27, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #37,459 of 46,554
Got a pair of HD650 yesterday, pretty happy with them, the build quality is good and they're nice and warm. Only issue so far is the clamp, which feels like a vice crushing my skull, but it seems to be slowly adjusting to my head.   
Surprisingly though, they sound even nicer with a warm source, I thought since they're known for their warm sig they'd work better with something more neutral, but nope (my own subjective opinion).   

Jan 27, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #37,460 of 46,554
  Got a pair of HD650 yesterday, pretty happy with them, the build quality is good and they're nice and warm. Only issue so far is the clamp, which feels like a vice crushing my skull, but it seems to be slowly adjusting to my head.   
Surprisingly though, they sound even nicer with a warm source, I thought since they're known for their warm sig they'd work better with something more neutral, but nope (my own subjective opinion).   

Extend the slides all of the way out.  You can then gently bend the metal part to relieve the clamping pressure.  Be careful not to bend at the plastic. It will break.

wink.gif

Jan 27, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #37,461 of 46,554

My advice: let it adjust, naturally with playback. You really want a tight clamping fit these 'phones. YMMV.

Jan 27, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #37,462 of 46,554

Indeed, I like them on my V200 amp, which is considered warm.. You can bend the metal part (both hands, extend it completely and see there is no pressure on the plastic), works great!

Jan 27, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #37,463 of 46,554

I found the same to be true.

My advice: let it adjust, naturally with playback. You really want a tight clamping fit these 'phones. YMMV.

Take this advice seriously. To see what happens listen to some music then pull the earcups away from your head by just a small amount. The bass very quickly disappears. You will get used to the clamp or you won't.

Jan 27, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #37,464 of 46,554
Yeah, that's what some friends told me too, to just let the clamp ease in time.      
It gets a bit painful after a while, but I can feel it slowly adjusting itself (not the vice grip they had yesterday).         

I might have to get some tubes for these, really liking the more laid back sound, especially coming from Beyers & AKGs.

Jan 27, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #37,466 of 46,554

I found the same to be true.

Take this advice seriously. To see what happens listen to some music then pull the earcups away from your head by just a small amount. The bass very quickly disappears. You will get used to the clamp or you won't.

There is point where not enough clamping force is bad for the sound and it depends on how the ear pad conform to an individual's head and how much pressure is needed to achieve the seal.  Your recommendation on pull the ear pads way is a great test.

Jan 27, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #37,467 of 46,554
I'm currently rockin' a pair of Trinity Vyrus IEM's. Wow!
basshead.gif

Jan 27, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #37,468 of 46,554
My new Sennheiser HD 650 headphones arrived a few hours ago. I know this is a sensitive subject, but how much time playing music do the HD 650 headphones need to be properly broken in?

I haven't owned a pair of quality over the ear headphones in probably 30 years so I don't really know what to expect from them compared to a stereo speaker setup. At my desk I have a near field setup using some pretty decent powered monitors. I am using my MacBook Pro with a Modi Mulitbit DAC and a Vali 2 headphone amp/pre-amp in high gain mode using the "standard" tube.

Compared to the speakers, the HD 650's soundstage is narrower, the music has less clarity, the low end is weaker, and the music sounds much less natural. My speakers have me feeling like I am in the front row while the headphones have me on stage. The speakers have a warmer sound to them too. I wouldn't say the speakers were warm sounding, just warmer than the headphones. Maybe because I am getting more bass from them.

I have a variety of tubes coming in from headphone amp but I don't want to really start evaluating the tubes or the headphones until the headphones and tubes are burned in. I have a good idea about tube burn in, but no so much on the headphones.

Any feedback is welcome!

Jan 27, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #37,469 of 46,554
I own both the Alessandro MS2e and Sennheiser HD 600 (never heard the HD 650).  What follows is all IMO. 

Both headphones are very good for female vocals.  They both have an emphasis in the upper mids that causes female vocals to be pushed forward in the mix, to varying degrees.

The MS2e is not all fatiguing to my ears, although as another posted pointed out we all hear differently due in large part to physiological differences in the ear canal.  I have owned or currently own the Grado RS1i, SR325e and SR225e (FYI, I used tape-modded L-cush pads for all my Grado's); the former two I find borderline unlistenable due to their treble peaks and the latter is better but still a little problematic.  The MS2e meanwhile is great – it sparkles and has plenty of energy but with no harshness – although for rock and metal music I do prefer the more forward and aggressive midrange of the traditional Grado line, but then you have to deal with the treble.

The HD 600 is a better headphone than the MS2e, most notably in the areas of stereo imaging, instrument separation and soundstage depth – the MS2e is very flat and 2D by comparison.  The only reason to choose the MS2e is the extra liveliness (although HD 600 is not dull or “veiled” by any means) or if you cannot budget for good amplification.  As another posted pointed out, do not skimp on amplification for the HD 600/650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back