Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 26, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #37,442 of 46,564
  how comfortable is the HD650 headband compared to the HD600? I might switch my hd600 headband to a 650.

Both very comfortable in my experience.
HD650's is probably a tiny bit better, let's say 5% but both very comfortable anyway IMO

Jan 26, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #37,443 of 46,564
  Is the paint from the headband still chipping / peeling or have they finally solved this issue in the newest revisions available in stores ?

Haven't seen any of the paint chipping in my HD-600 and HD-650.  My HD-650 is almost 3 years old and I sold my HD-600 at about a year old but it didn't have any chipping.

Jan 26, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #37,444 of 46,564
  Is the paint from the headband still chipping / peeling or have they finally solved this issue in the newest revisions available in stores ?

Only Sennheiser's I have that the paint chipped are the HD800.

Nothing on either the HD600 or HD6XX...

beerchug.gif

Jan 26, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #37,445 of 46,564
  Hi all,

I use a NAD CD player as my source most of the time. I would like to be able to switch from my headphone amp to my integrated amp (when listening to speakers) without swapping cables. Anybody have a suggestion?

What's your headphone amp?

I use Mac > ODAC > Project Ember MkII > Marantz Pm6004 and it all works very well.

Jan 26, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #37,447 of 46,564

I use cheap Chinese headband cushions on both my HD600 and HD650, bought on Ebay, works great!

I don't have any issues with the headband although I have with other brands. The initial clamp out of the box can be tiresome but it's easily remedied.

Can't fault your choice of lubricant though. :wink:

Jan 26, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #37,448 of 46,564

Mine are 6 years old - no chipping

Actually, I managed to get tinnitus for months, and hurting ears after gaming with Q701, ..

Me too (not gaming) still got it, Qs are locked away for safety 
ph34r.gif

I would like to be able to switch from my headphone amp to my integrated amp (when listening to speakers) without swapping cables. Anybody have a suggestion?

Schiit Sys?

Jan 27, 2017 at 4:21 AM Post #37,450 of 46,564

I dunno about the 650, but I like Grado. The part that I dislike is their sharp highs. The SR325, which is the base model are said to be sharp as well. So it's probably better to follow your recommendation of avoiding them (Alessandro).

All modern made Grados/Alessandros will have those sharp peaks in the upper mids and treble.  That is what happens when a company uses variations on the same driver in all of their headphones. 

Jan 27, 2017 at 6:38 AM Post #37,451 of 46,564
Hi all,

I use a NAD CD player as my source most of the time. I would like to be able to switch from my headphone amp to my integrated amp (when listening to speakers) without swapping cables. Anybody have a suggestion?

I use a schiit SYS for exactly this. Use it in reverse (it's passive, just leave the volume knob on it at full all the time) with one in and two outs.

Jan 27, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #37,452 of 46,564

All modern made Grados/Alessandros will have those sharp peaks in the upper mids and treble.  That is what happens when a company uses variations on the same driver in all of their headphones. 

Have you heard all the various Grado models?  Including the newer and older "e" and "i" series?  The HE-400i is actually brighter than some Grado's and the HD-800 is brighter than most of the RSe, GSe and PSe series.  The HD-650 is warm/dark compared to most headphones and the HD-600 is one of the few that had a treble peak that bothered me but none of RS/GS/PS series bothers me.  We all hear differently so what might be sharp to you may not be to everyone else and while I agree that most lower end SR and SRi series Grado's are quite bright and sharp in the upper mids and highs this just is not true for many/most of the newer "e" series.  Not picking on you but your blanket statement that "all modern Grados/Alessandros will have those sharp peaks" is just not true

Jan 27, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #37,454 of 46,564
Have you heard all the various Grado models?  Including the newer and older "e" and "i" series?  The HE-400i is actually brighter than some Grado's and the HD-800 is brighter than most of the RSe, GSe and PSe series.  The HD-650 is warm/dark compared to most headphones and the HD-600 is one of the few that had a treble peak that bothered me but none of RS/GS/PS series bothers me.  We all hear differently so what might be sharp to you may not be to everyone else and while I agree that most lower end SR and SRi series Grado's are quite bright and sharp in the upper mids and highs this just is not true for many/most of the newer "e" series.  Not picking on you but your blanket statement that "all modern Grados/Alessandros will have those sharp peaks" is just not true

I stand by my statement and frequency response graphs show this as well. I have heard most of the low-middle range (none of the expensive models).

Sure, we all hear differently, but at the end of the day, sharp peaks are still sharp peaks and I'm not going to recommend someone who hates sharp peaks try it out just in case he can't hear the sharp peaks.

The 400i has a peak at 8k that is easily mitigated with as simple a mod as toilet paper in front of the driver.

The hd800 only has the sharp 6k peak to contend with, which is also alleviated by mods and proper equipment matching.

Even if you get past the wonky frequency response you still have ridiculous amounts of distortion to contend with on Grados.

This doesn't even get into the fact that Grado hasn't changed their design and comfort in decades and it (painfully) shows.

Jan 27, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #37,455 of 46,564
I stand by my statement and frequency response graphs show this as well. I have heard most of the low-middle range (none of the expensive models).

Sure, we all hear differently, but at the end of the day, sharp peaks are still sharp peaks and I'm not going to recommend someone who hates sharp peaks try it out just in case he can't hear the sharp peaks.

The 400i has a peak at 8k that is easily mitigated with as simple a mod as toilet paper in front of the driver.

The hd800 only has the sharp 6k peak to contend with, which is also alleviated by mods and proper equipment matching.

Even if you get past the wonky frequency response you still have ridiculous amounts of distortion to contend with on Grados.

This doesn't even get into the fact that Grado hasn't changed their design and comfort in decades and it (painfully) shows.

That is my problem with your recommendation of staying away from the MS2e, it does not have the sharp peaks, at least for the 2 that I've heard.  The person was asking about the MS2e and HD-650 and also indicated that they like the Grado sound but didn't like sharp peaks which the MS2e does not have compared to the lower end SR series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back