Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 29, 2016 at 1:57 AM Post #37,096 of 46,554
  Am I alone in being slightly miffed that none of the smilie options show a pair of HD 650's? Isn't this just about the biggest headphone thread here?

We need a smilie!

deadhorse.gif

What's wrong with this one, left over from the "Sennheiser Veil" discussions of the past? I think that dead horse is sporting a '650.

Dec 29, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #37,097 of 46,554
I have the Mimby + Jotunheim balanced out to HD650s. It's by far the most incredible thing I've heard. On the weekends I find myself saying "just one more song" so many times that the sun starts to rise before I know it. The punch and detail is staggering with this setup. Makes me want to listen to Moving Pictures on repeat forever.

Never got to your type of nirvana with HD-650 yet, even with a friend's Liquid Glass which is about as good as I've heard the HD-650 sound, there are other headphones that I think sound better but I'll never sell my HD-650, it is just like old faithful to me.

Dec 29, 2016 at 6:21 AM Post #37,098 of 46,554
Never got to your type of nirvana with HD-650 yet, even with a friend's Liquid Glass which is about as good as I've heard the HD-650 sound, there are other headphones that I think sound better but I'll never sell my HD-650, it is just like old faithful to me.

You have to take my statements about the HD650s with a grain of salt, since I've only heard a few higher end cans. Hoping to get to the next Midwest meet to remedy this.

Dec 29, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #37,099 of 46,554
You have to take my statements about the HD650s with a grain of salt, since I've only heard a few higher end cans. Hoping to get to the next Midwest meet to remedy this.

Hope you get to the meet, its something that I've been wanting to do but here in Hawaii there aren't enough people into this hobby.  I consider you lucky that you find the HD-650/Jot pairing so good, for me coming from speakers its been a slightly difficult transition to headphones.  I don't think you will find much that is better than the HD-650 for under $1000, if anything it will be something with a different sound signature that will work as a complimentary headphone to the HD-650.

Dec 29, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #37,100 of 46,554
I have the Mimby + Jotunheim balanced out to HD650s. It's by far the most incredible thing I've heard. On the weekends I find myself saying "just one more song" so many times that the sun starts to rise before I know it. The punch and detail is staggering with this setup. Makes me want to listen to Moving Pictures on repeat forever.

I have the Jot and HD650 and I agree with your sonic findings too. The only difference is that I have the Bifrost MB as DAC. I also own the Modi MB and have performed a brief comparison between these 2 DACS on this system and I haven't been able to hear much if any difference between them. Consequently I have the Bifrost paired with the Jot simply because of how nice they look stacked. I have the Modi MB in my bedside rig...great for drifting off to sleep most nights.

Dec 29, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #37,101 of 46,554
Thank you for your thoughts. I believe the 650's are 'end game' enough for me but I haven't heard any truly high end phones. I know I enjoy the 650 and I would rather keep my whole system at about ~1K in price max - not interested in investing much more than that into this hobby. I  may pull the trigger on the Mimby but Mike Moffat said in another thread that 'good things come to those who wait' in regards to the current state of the Bifrost. The Mimby does seem to be ridiculous value at the moment. 

Dec 31, 2016 at 3:52 AM Post #37,104 of 46,554
Anyone using the Nobsound NS-08E with their 650s?  I searched both products' threads for the other and surprisingly, no results.  Would love to hear anyone's impressions of this pairing.

I'd stay away from anything Nobsound. Just buy a used Vali if you want something super cheap.

Dec 31, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #37,106 of 46,554
Jan 1, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #37,110 of 46,554

Users who are viewing this thread

Back