Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 28, 2016 at 5:22 AM Post #37,081 of 46,554
I just use the Crossfeed component buit-in to JRMC. I use it on it's lowest (subtle) setting as it's very easy to go over the top. Once you get used to using it it has the same effect as Sonarworks, i.e. it's only when you switch it off that you understand how much it's doing. If there's a downside it's that it slightly rolls off the bass but not by a lot and the increased sense of depth more than makes up for it imo.

Dec 28, 2016 at 6:18 AM Post #37,083 of 46,554
Originally Posted by castleofargh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
 the size and shape of one's very own head is what determines how this happens with sounds in every day's life, so to feel like a crossfeed is natural, it needs to replicate those changes the way your head did it.  not that simple...

And yet recordings made with a dummy head sound very realistic on phones, well, I have found it so - maybe I'm lucky and my head is exactly like the dummy head used for the recordings (?)
Years ago I made my own dummy head and I guarantee the head and ears were nothing much like my own, yet the recordings were freaky realistic.

Dec 28, 2016 at 7:41 AM Post #37,084 of 46,554

Originally Posted by castleofargh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
 the size and shape of one's very own head is what determines how this happens with sounds in every day's life, so to feel like a crossfeed is natural, it needs to replicate those changes the way your head did it.  not that simple...

And yet recordings made with a dummy head sound very realistic on phones, well, I have found it so - maybe I'm lucky and my head is exactly like the dummy head used for the recordings (?)
Years ago I made my own dummy head and I guarantee the head and ears were nothing much like my own, yet the recordings were freaky realistic.

sure, binaural recording brings at least partially the answer for headphones. even small differences will probably feel more realistic than artificial panning for speakers applied to headphones. but how many of my favorite albums are available in binaral? 0
so there is that. ^_^
but sure enough binaural is the right idea. it makes recording and mastering much more limited because you can only do so much with 2 tracks and a fixed pair of mics, but in the quest of "the sound like we were there", it's a great idea.  and for simulation, the AES guys and others working for 3d sound to go with the 3d google hype, seem to be able to get very close estimates using a simple round shape model and some EQ for trebles. but having the overall size of the head is still of great value.

PS, even if I disregard the size of my head, I have a way bigger nose than all those dummy heads:
Tis a rock!. . .a peak!. . .a cape! --
A cape, forsooth! 'Tis a peninsular!' 

redface.gif

Dec 28, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #37,085 of 46,554
I just use the Crossfeed component buit-in to JRMC. I use it on it's lowest (subtle) setting as it's very easy to go over the top. Once you get used to using it it has the same effect as Sonarworks, i.e. it's only when you switch it off that you understand how much it's doing. If there's a downside it's that it slightly rolls off the bass but not by a lot and the increased sense of depth more than makes up for it imo.
Don't mean to derail this thread but are there any sites with info on Crossfeed? I'm totally clueless.

Dec 28, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #37,086 of 46,554
Don't mean to derail this thread but are there any sites with info on Crossfeed? I'm totally clueless.

I don't know if there's a definitive list as such but knowing your OS and player of choice would help us find something you could try. It's worth the effort. Sound is fun.

Dec 28, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #37,087 of 46,554
Am I alone in being slightly miffed that none of the smilie options show a pair of HD 650's? Isn't this just about the biggest headphone thread here?

We need a smilie!

Dec 28, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #37,088 of 46,554
sure, binaural recording brings at least partially the answer for headphones...

Seems you missed my implied query.
Why, if binaural recording works using a "standard" dummy head, would cross feed calcs need to be for an particular head to work?

Am I alone in being slightly miffed that none of the smilie options show a pair of HD 650's?

No, in fact I am very disappointed by the available selection, a lot of duplication in the 41 available, 4 confused, 3 winks, 4 plain smiles, 3 tongues etc. perhaps site masters think we have very small emotional range. 
frown.gif

biggrin.gif

eek.gif

wink_face.gif

cool.gif

Dec 28, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #37,090 of 46,554

sure, binaural recording brings at least partially the answer for headphones...

Seems you missed my implied query.
Why, if binaural recording works using a "standard" dummy head, would cross feed calcs need to be for an particular head to work?

oh, I get it, sorry. well we need to define "works".
for crossfeed, pretty much any crossfeed with any preset will avoid getting the full left panned sound supposed to come out of a 30° left speaker, coming from a 90° left on the headphone. in that sense, almost all crossfeed effects "work".  doesn't mean it will feel very natural or that the placement will be correct in reference to listening to speakers. for that result you may need to set things for you specifically.

IMO it's the same idea for the dummy head not being like our head. we'll still get some effect of binaural recording, and I assume that's what you mean with "works". but different people will feel like they're not at the same place(not necessarily unrealistic stuff, but a few degree variations, a smaller distance, stuff like that). and I assure you that if you play some chesky binaural song to plenty of people with the same headphone, they won't all be mesmerized by the realism.

with crossfeed the main aim is to get the panning angles like the guy who did the panning on speakers, or to get the panning like you get on your own speakers(what I try to do). if you have a bigger head than the guy who made a crossfeed preset, the delay for a given angle will need to be different. and ideally you'd do the same for ILD and FR but that's harder to determine than basic delay.

Dec 28, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #37,091 of 46,554
  oh, I get it, sorry. well we need to define "works".

...and I assure you that if you play some chesky binaural song to plenty of people with the same headphone, they won't all be mesmerized by the realism.

The Chesky recordings I have heard are Binaural+,
Chesky: "Our Binaural+ Series recordings sound great on headphones and speakers" so not straight binaural, and I find them less than convincing; the recordings I made were far more "there", They are quite disappointing really.

My binaural recording experiment:
I left the recording run while I continued with my day at home, listening back with eyes closed I could hear "someone" (me in the past) walking around my apartment, making coffee etc.(really creepy) at one point something on TV caught my interest, I turned my head as I opened my eyes - to be looking in the wrong direction as the TV sound was recorded and I was not in the same position and orientation as the dummy head when it was recording. This is what I mean by "works".

I was listening with my first Sennheisers (not HD650 though). My dummy head was a piece of chipboard approx. the height of head and neck and depth of my head with rounded corners, on each side was a roughly head-shaped piece of 3 inch thick dense foam and the ears were cut out of the same material. Electret mic capsules were inset in each ear and wired to a stereo plug that went into a stereo cassette deck.
All pretty rough I know - wouldn't be hard to do better, try it.

Dec 28, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #37,092 of 46,554
650 owner here with a quick question. I want to upgrade my DAC. I have a Nuforce Icon HD (retired product) that is a value DAC/Amp running into a Bottlehead Crack. I am looking at the Modi Multibit as it looks to be extreme value and I am wondering if anyone can comment on the combo? Would the mimby be a significant upgrade or should I be looking for something in a higher price bracket like the Bimby? Any recommendations? Thanks!

Dec 28, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #37,093 of 46,554
  650 owner here with a quick question. I want to upgrade my DAC. I have a Nuforce Icon HD (retired product) that is a value DAC/Amp running into a Bottlehead Crack. I am looking at the Modi Multibit as it looks to be extreme value and I am wondering if anyone can comment on the combo? Would the mimby be a significant upgrade or should I be looking for something in a higher price bracket like the Bimby? Any recommendations? Thanks!

I would pass on the Bimby, I have one but like the sound of my UD-301 better.  I think the Modi MB is one of the best deals around but its very slightly on the warmer side IMO.  I think going with a slightly warm DAC & amp with a warm sounding headphone like the HD-650 is not a combo that I would suggest.

Dec 28, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #37,094 of 46,554
I have the Mimby + Jotunheim balanced out to HD650s. It's by far the most incredible thing I've heard. On the weekends I find myself saying "just one more song" so many times that the sun starts to rise before I know it. The punch and detail is staggering with this setup. Makes me want to listen to Moving Pictures on repeat forever.

Dec 29, 2016 at 1:17 AM Post #37,095 of 46,554
I have the Mimby + Jotunheim balanced out to HD650s. It's by far the most incredible thing I've heard. On the weekends I find myself saying "just one more song" so many times that the sun starts to rise before I know it. The punch and detail is staggering with this setup. Makes me want to listen to Moving Pictures on repeat forever.

I have the Bimby + Jotunheim balanced out to HD650 and I think multibit to HD650 is pretty good too if the amp is OK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back