Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 25, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #37,051 of 46,565
  Anyone knows how long the pads will last before they get worn out? Mine felt like it's gotten a little bit flatter after few months of regular use

It really depends on a lot of factors as @RickB noted, for me mine are still new looking after 2 years but I only use the HD-650 for a few hours per week, I bent out the headband to reduce the clamping force, usually have the AC on (quite humid here in Hawaii near the ocean) and have few other headphones in the listening rotation.

Dec 25, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #37,052 of 46,565
finally got my 650's and my bifrost multi...just waiting to get my valhalla 2 this week. in the meantime running her off my oppo HA-2 and i'm already loving it...can't wait to see how she sounds with the valhalla 2. definitely loving the 650's more than my X2's already. much more crisp and clean sounding then my X2's..the sub bass is nice in the 650's, i wqs worried about the bass but so far soo good

Dec 25, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #37,053 of 46,565
  finally got my 650's and my bifrost multi...just waiting to get my valhalla 2 this week. in the meantime running her off my oppo HA-2 and i'm already loving it...can't wait to see how she sounds with the valhalla 2. definitely loving the 650's more than my X2's already. much more crisp and clean sounding then my X2's..the sub bass is nice in the 650's, i wqs worried about the bass but so far soo good

Well amped the subbass extension on the 650 is pretty good I find. Lots of people get on the 650 for lack of bass extension. To my ears it is actually pretty reasonable, especially well amped. Now add in the no limits sonarworks eq for it and I find the 650 subbass completely satisfying.

Dec 25, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #37,054 of 46,565
  Well amped the subbass extension on the 650 is pretty good I find. Lots of people get on the 650 for lack of bass extension. To my ears it is actually pretty reasonable, especially well amped. Now add in the no limits sonarworks eq for it and I find the 650 subbass completely satisfying.

its already good so far...looking forward to hearing her properly amped then. i'm going to look into sonarworks, i've heard good things about it...thanks man!! appreciate it and happy holidays!

Dec 25, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #37,055 of 46,565

its already good so far...looking forward to hearing her properly amped then. i'm going to look into sonarworks, i've heard good things about it...thanks man!! appreciate it and happy holidays!

Ya, before others chime in and go on about amping: the 650 is not hard to amp, almost anything will make it sound good. I am refering to an amp with the power and sonic signature to really take command of the 650 drivers and make them sing - well amped.

Dec 26, 2016 at 2:48 AM Post #37,056 of 46,565

If you listen to a planar headphone, you'll hear how the HD 650 lacks bass extension. Even well amped. 

Dec 26, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #37,058 of 46,565
Guys I have a problem with this headphones and I need your help. I use them to check my mixes and they are well flat I think (good thing). I am not here to find an headphone tha sounds well I need one that translate well.
The only problem is that the sounds seem to be really behind and I don't know If I am missing details. Looks like I have to crank a lot the mix to make it outstanding and I don't know if I crank it too much. I connect them to a firefice UC so I don't think it's an amp probleem. Do you have any tips or consideration on this? How could I improve my monitoring?

Thank you.

Dec 26, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #37,063 of 46,565
  Guys I have a problem with this headphones and I need your help. I use them to check my mixes and they are well flat I think (good thing). I am not here to find an headphone tha sounds well I need one that translate well.
The only problem is that the sounds seem to be really behind and I don't know If I am missing details. Looks like I have to crank a lot the mix to make it outstanding and I don't know if I crank it too much. I connect them to a firefice UC so I don't think it's an amp probleem. Do you have any tips or consideration on this? How could I improve my monitoring?

Thank you.

While I don't do any mixing I wouldn't use the HD-650 for such task due to the sound signature of them.  If I were to consider a headphone for content creation it would be an easier to drive one with a FR that is closer to what most consider natural.  I think many consider the HD-600 to be quite neutral/natural but I feel its not that easy to drive properly.

Headphones that I think might be good for your situation: LCD-2, PS500e, or HE-400i, all are easy to drive and sound natural to me driven by most devices.

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #37,064 of 46,565

Thank you.

A pair of proper studio monitoring speakers is always better than headphones. The HD650 is not flat.

Dec 27, 2016 at 5:51 AM Post #37,065 of 46,565

Thank you.

While I don't do any mixing I wouldn't use the HD-650 for such task due to the sound signature of them.  If I were to consider a headphone for content creation it would be an easier to drive one with a FR that is closer to what most consider natural.  I think many consider the HD-600 to be quite neutral/natural but I feel its not that easy to drive properly.

Headphones that I think might be good for your situation: LCD-2, PS500e, or HE-400i, all are easy to drive and sound natural to me driven by most devices.

AKG for the World!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back