Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 8, 2016 at 4:16 AM Post #36,301 of 46,499
do you guys find the 650s grainy? I mean the grain is not presented harshly but rather smoothly. But it is there. You can pick it up on vocals.

I actually do find the stock HD650 grainy, and that's one of it's weaknesses. I hear modding it might help on that also, which I'm considering doing. 

Nov 8, 2016 at 4:54 AM Post #36,303 of 46,499
why does sennheiser make these in Ireland? why not make it in Germany? there is a superior feel to having something made in Germany and I have no idea why.

Not sure why it matters. Consider them your lucky charms.

Nov 8, 2016 at 5:01 AM Post #36,304 of 46,499
Not sure why it matters. Consider them your lucky charms.

don't you just feel the German superiority when you hear Made in Germany?
I mean in General there is this superior, clean feeling you get when you own something that was made by German Hands. There is something about it I just can't quite put my finger on.

Nov 8, 2016 at 5:32 AM Post #36,305 of 46,499
don't you just feel the German superiority when you hear Made in Germany?
I mean in General there is this superior, clean feeling you get when you own something that was made by German Hands. There is something about it I just can't quite put my finger on.

I know what you mean but it's purely psychological. A specific process is followed when they're manufactured and there would be no way of telling a pair made in Germany and a pair made in Ireland apart.

Just be thankful it's not made in a China sweatshop like my iPhone.

Nov 8, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #36,306 of 46,499
well it would be the first time ever that something without actual physical impact was deemed important to an audiophile.
wink_face.gif

Nov 8, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #36,308 of 46,499
  why does sennheiser make these in Ireland? why not make it in Germany? there is a superior feel to having something made in Germany and I have no idea why.

https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/2mgx7d/eli5_why_german_engineering_is_spoken_of_as_being/

(no mention of headphones, but the point is made....)

Nov 8, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #36,309 of 46,499
The 6xx are already over the 5000 units limit. That was really fast. I wonder if the construction materials are the same as the 650. I would think to save money they probably went with standard plastic instead of the carbon fiber thermo plastic of the 650s. It will be interesting to see how they hold up over the next year or so. If the sound is the same, (which massdrop and Jude say it is) then congrats to the folks getting that HD650 sound for $200.

Nov 8, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #36,310 of 46,499
The 6xx are already over the 5000 units limit. That was really fast. I wonder if the construction materials are the same as the 650. I would think to save money they probably went with standard plastic instead of the carbon fiber thermo plastic of the 650s. It will be interesting to see how they hold up over the next year or so. If the sound is the same, (which massdrop and Jude say it is) then congrats to the folks getting that HD650 sound for $200.

This is what i was thinking.

The hd600 is not that much more, and will be closer most likley on Black Friday

The 7xx were not identical to the anniversary 65th is seemed

The 600/650 would basically last a decade easy, wonder about 6xx especially if materials/drivers not 100% identical

Nov 8, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #36,311 of 46,499

This is what i was thinking.

The hd600 is not that much more, and will be closer most likley on Black Friday

The 7xx were not identical to the anniversary 65th is seemed

The 600/650 would basically last a decade easy, wonder about 6xx especially if materials/drivers not 100% identical

I am interested in how they will hold up too, but if I get the sound of the 650 for 200 i wont complain. 

I am actually sitting here wearing the k7xx from the first initial drop, I do like them.

It will be interesting to see the price of the hd 650 on black friday.

Nov 8, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #36,312 of 46,499
It is really great with the 650. Clear and resolving. Definitely need a Multibit upgrade though.

I'll likely be selling my stack of black Schiit in the not to distant future if I get ahold of a Black Widow and Gumby.

What other amps do some of you guys like with your Senns in the $1k range besides Torpedo 3 and BW? No fotm types.

When you sell it if you dont mind, pm me. 

Nov 8, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #36,313 of 46,499

Are you maybe unaware of modern manufacturing technology? Are you unaware of computers or are you just a fascist?

Nov 8, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #36,314 of 46,499

Are you maybe unaware of modern manufacturing technology? Are you unaware of computers or are you just a fascist?

Before you bash him, keep in mind Beyers for the most part are cheaper or equivalent and Made in Germany. So it can be done. dt770s are built solidly, and materials are better overall. Sound quality between Beyer/Senny aside :D

Senny capitalizes on their popularity/brand power, and i dont blame them.

That being said, that account might be a troll lol

Nov 8, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #36,315 of 46,499
today hd650 arrived.
thought i share my impressions...

My main setup is Macbook pro retina 2016 SSD > HiFace Evo Two > Hegel HD20 > Beyerdynamic A1 >  Hifiman he560 / Audeze Sine
I am satisfied with my setup but kind of wanted a headphone that is "easy on ears" and all about musicality but still remaining serious Hi-Fi kind of sound...

After reading reviews i thought hd650 could be it, i also auditioned hd600 once and was pleasantly surprised how a headphone from 90s could still sound good comparing to todays tough competition 

To my surprise i was disappointed with hd650...

hd650 is often described as juicy sweet creamy dark meaty musical ... mids focused , after all thats where musicality comes from , from the mids...

i find mids wide thick and light weighted , theres very little weight to the body of mids.
When i think of dark tonality , a rich  deep well layered sound comes to mind
tonality of hd650 is not dark  , its simply has dimmed treble and smoothed over / rounded sound , imaging is less focused compared to hd600 , so you won't call it a bright headphone , but just because its not bright doesn't make it dark ...

bass is dull , wooly and always on one note...
bass rolls off and theres almost no sub bass 
hd650 has slow dynamic and with that wooly one note bass it makes you feel like taking bath in a warm wet sand...
once you put something infected mushroom- becoming insane  , everything gets blended and bloated , and out of phase ...

2my ears hd650 is a hd600 with wider soundstage  , less focused imaging , dimmed treble , less sub bass and unnecessary mid bass hump ...    with another words  a ruined hd600
i don't think a more mid bass  and a wider soundstage was worth messing up tonal balance of hd600

what was a real surprise is how many head-fiers like hd650 and even prefer it to hd600 ö.Ö

a headphone like Beyerdynamic DT150 is way better choice for someone who want a majestic mids with a relax / mellow , smooth sound presentation ...

i was curious about hd650 so i bought it, well...now i know whats  "sweet dark musical sound"  is for 70% of head-fiers   :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back