Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Oct 7, 2016 at 5:55 AM Post #35,659 of 46,554
Hi. Purchased my hd650 a week ago. Started using it listening to my music for the first day. For the following nights when i went to bed, i will burn in my hd650 with pink noise. However, when i tried the 650s in the morning today, the sound is quite harsh and unenjoyable. Is there anything that i did wrong or is my set faulty? Thanks guys!

Oct 7, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #35,660 of 46,554
Hi. Purchased my hd650 a week ago. Started using it listening to my music for the first day. For the following nights when i went to bed, i will burn in my hd650 with pink noise. However, when i tried the 650s in the morning today, the sound is quite harsh and unenjoyable. Is there anything that i did wrong or is my set faulty? Thanks guys!

What is your source and amp?

Oct 7, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #35,663 of 46,554
Using foobar playing flac files on computer thru a chord mojo

The Mojo should be up to the task.  I never used a Chord portable, but I know the color scheme used for a readout is confusing.  Have you checked those settings?  Is there a higher gain setting you can use?

Oct 7, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #35,664 of 46,554
How about equalizer units instead of software eq?

If you play music from your computer then software eq is fantastic. It's free and you can select any type of filter or combinations of filters you like. Graphic, fully parametric, high and low shelving, etc, etc. It's great.

To my knowledge, no portable (cell phone sized) high quality eq hardware exists. As far as I can imagine, a MiniDSP 2x4 "in a box" with a portable cell phone charger/battery pack to power it would be best along with your favorite portable amp.

The best all in one portable digital signal processing amplifier package will be the MiniDSP everAMP when they finally release it. https://www.minidsp.com/products/power-amplifiers/everamp

Oct 7, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #35,665 of 46,554

I don't know of any manufacturer that recommends breaking in headphones with pink noise. The most I have ever done is have them play music a few hours a day at a moderate volume on a dummy head (not mine), so the drivers encounter resistance just as they do when worn for listening.

Have no idea if yours are damaged. Good luck!

IMO
YMWV

Oct 7, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #35,666 of 46,554

You should realize that we change much MUCH more than the headphone. The burn-in non-sense is going far of the charts.
I've even heard that you should use 24/192 audio for proper burn in...

Our brain is really complex, we get used to things and in the same way we really enjoy chocolate at certain moment, but prefer potato fries a few hours later, same happens with our perception of sound. On top of that, there's a huge variance among recordings and you'll always find plenty of recordings that are a bad match for your headphone/setup.

There's some tiny, hardly mesurable variance between fresh out of the box headphone and a 2000-hour used headphone.
The new one sounds right for sure and if the used one sounds different, best chances are it's time to get new pads.

It's advisable to pick the headphone, find those recordings that sound good to you and enjoy music. That's the purpose of the product, not being part of 'burn-in' rituals.

Feel free to share a link to a recording that you think sounds harsh and unenjoyable through HD650, we can try it with our HD650 and share a comment. Maybe it's the recording's fault.

Oct 7, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #35,668 of 46,554
I don't know of any manufacturer that recommends breaking in headphones with pink noise. The most I have ever done is have them play music a few hours a day at a moderate volume on a dummy head (not mine), so the drivers encounter resistance just as they do when worn for listening.

Have no idea if yours are damaged. Good luck!

IMO
YMWV
I believe strongly in burning in headphones. I don't believe that one would need a specific audio resolution (24/192) as well as a specific noise (white/pink noise) I believe any type of noise, or music you may be using for the burn-in is sufficient

Oct 7, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #35,669 of 46,554
@Me x3 said it like it is, a ritual. ever seen any research done on what impact a particular procedure had on a device? or for that matter, that whatever might or might not change in the sound would follow a rule we could apply to more than one specific device? I sure missed every single one of those interesting papers, if they exist.

would the drivers perform objectively better if instead of whatever burn-in procedure, I made sure to put on the right sock before the left one each morning for 2 weeks and 4days?(but you absolutely must reverse the order on the fifth day of the third week, never ever forget that you crazy people. or else....!!!!!!!!!).
what if playing "Friday" by rebecca black in a loop for 80 hours with the headphone on my own head at 90db(kill me now!!!!!) was the ultimate way to make drivers give the very best sound for years? well we don't actually know and that's the problem. how did anybody decide on a procedure if no proper testing was ever conducted and there is no conclusive evidence of any cause/consequence relation? the same way we decided that crooked nose was characteristic of a witch? and if there is such an ideal way to burn-in a driver and it's a known fact, why the hell am I being sold a headphone where it wasn't already done?
is it better to play a sound at the resonance frequency, or to avoid that specific frequency while making the membrane move at every other speeds? should I use golden ratio to pick the successive tones? what is the ideal playback time per day? what is the ideal loudness? do I need to play a sweep that goes from low to high freqs or from high to low?....? .....?
so many legitimate questions for no reason whatsoever. ^_^
the most likely answer is that all of it is ludicrous and a waste of good time, if a change has to occur it will most likely occur anyway. another rational but useless answer is that playing specific sound on a new headphone is part of a much bigger chaotic system, and that when someone plays rebecca black in Asia, it creates a hurricane in America(checkmate climate change!).

what decides somebody to go and stick to a method because of a made up cause/consequence relation, that's superstition. we can all do whatever it is we like to do, but keeping in mind that we don't have a rational reason to do it might be a healthy idea.

now if someone has actual evidence(not weird anecdotes about my grandma's gears) of something significant about how to "burn in" a driver, I'm all ears.

for @mercilessdude. to ruin the headphone, you could have a strong DC offset, play too loud a signal(if it was fine for your ears, it was most likely fine for the headphone), trying to play square waves at a relatively loud level for a long period of time(or some overly clipped signal). for the rest, I don't really get why playing some noise(whatever the color, let's not be noise racists) would make a hd650 to sound bad. so if you believe you didn't do any of those things, most likely I'd say it's all in your head and it's good news as your headphone is most likely fine.

Oct 7, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #35,670 of 46,554
  @Me x3 said it like it is, a ritual. ever seen any research done on what impact a particular procedure had on a device? or for that matter, that whatever might or might not change in the sound would follow a rule we could apply to more than one specific device? I sure missed every single one of those interesting papers, if they exist.

would the drivers perform objectively better if instead of whatever burn-in procedure, I made sure to put on the right sock before the left one each morning for 2 weeks and 4days?(but you absolutely must reverse the order on the fifth day of the third week, never ever forget that you crazy people. or else....!!!!!!!!!).
what if playing "Friday" by rebecca black in a loop for 80 hours with the headphone on my own head at 90db(kill me now!!!!!) was the ultimate way to make drivers give the very best sound for years? well we don't actually know and that's the problem. how did anybody decide on a procedure if no proper testing was ever conducted and there is no conclusive evidence of any cause/consequence relation? the same way we decided that crooked nose was characteristic of a witch? and if there is such an ideal way to burn-in a driver and it's a known fact, why the hell am I being sold a headphone where it wasn't already done?
is it better to play a sound at the resonance frequency, or to avoid that specific frequency while making the membrane move at every other speeds? should I use golden ratio to pick the successive tones? what is the ideal playback time per day? what is the ideal loudness? do I need to play a sweep that goes from low to high freqs or from high to low?....? .....?
so many legitimate questions for no reason whatsoever. ^_^
the most likely answer is that all of it is ludicrous and a waste of good time, if a change has to occur it will most likely occur anyway. another rational but useless answer is that playing specific sound on a new headphone is part of a much bigger chaotic system, and that when someone plays rebecca black in Asia, it creates a hurricane in America(checkmate climate change!).

what decides somebody to go and stick to a method because of a made up cause/consequence relation, that's superstition. we can all do whatever it is we like to do, but keeping in mind that we don't have a rational reason to do it might be a healthy idea.

now if someone has actual evidence(not weird anecdotes about my grandma's gears) of something significant about how to "burn in" a driver, I'm all ears.

for @mercilessdude. to ruin the headphone, you could have a strong DC offset, play too loud a signal(if it was fine for your ears, it was most likely fine for the headphone), trying to play square waves at a relatively loud level for a long period of time(or some overly clipped signal). for the rest, I don't really get why playing some noise(whatever the color, let's not be noise racists) would make a hd650 to sound bad. so if you believe you didn't do any of those things, most likely I'd say it's all in your head and it's good news as your headphone is most likely fine.

Believe you me, I am as skeptical of the claims of burn in as you. However, what you wrote above comes across as awful arrogant and unhelpful. Claiming that anything that cannot be explained fully via science, right now, is "superstition" seems to be an equally superstitions notion, blindly trusting in your faith in empiricism - which is far from the only valid form of philosophy. 

Yes, many people on headfi "hear things" because they want to. However, lots of people also hear things because their brain-ear system is giving them solid anecdotal evidence that what they hear it actually a fact of reality. Just because you are uncomfortable with a method of evidence gathering does not dismiss that evidence because you claim it is superstitious.

Sorry for the off-topic response folks. I tire of the "where is the evidence" argument that is so flawed and limited in its scope, seeking to define acceptable evidence as they demand more evidence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back