Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 14, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #32,596 of 46,554
Many people have noted big sonic improvements when they've upgraded to multibit Dac's. The Dac is processing more information this leads to more music. Currawong explained when members were claiming everything sounded bigger. Your actually just getting more music. I was a Dac Dac skeptic before I upgraded. The 650's have taught me lot about audio gear. I've gone through many amps and a couple Dac's because I skimped on lower end gear. Every time I upgraded there were audible improvements. If id'a know then what I know now I would have gone hi-end from the jump. this is only my experience. If you don't enjoy the way your 650's sound, it's usually a) the gears not up for the task. Or b) their sound isn't for you. I'd bet 90% of the time it's a.

Again. Incorrect.

Where did I say I don't enjoy the HD 650?

I said the DAC doesn't make a difference in that enjoyment.

My gear is better than yours.

And I have tried DACs, both cheap and expensive, a broader range than you.

The only difference is you haven't done an ABT while I have.

Once you do that you'll know better.

Feb 14, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #32,597 of 46,554
If your precious DAC was Audioengine D1 then you're imagining this.

If your previous DAC was the Tube D1 then that is far from decent. So it could have made a difference. :)

Do note, the Gumby is a colored DAC unlike regular DS DACs. So it is possible it does sound different. But technically it will sound less accurate.

It was the tube magic, but even if it was the other one, if I was just as satisfied then oh well lol, worth it either way I guess.

And I don't care if its colored or whatever, it sounds great with my equipment!

Feb 14, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #32,598 of 46,554
Again. Incorrect.

R2R or multibit DACs in that list?

Feb 14, 2016 at 1:47 AM Post #32,600 of 46,554
Again. Incorrect.

Dude I'm not going to debate with you. That wasn't even directed your way. I know what I hear. No need to volume match. You got better gear, great!

Feb 14, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #32,601 of 46,554
Again. Incorrect.

Which is the beauty of Head-fi. Everyone has different tastes and preferences allowing us to express that. Along with this, "better" is extremely subjective. 

But you guys have peeked my interest in the Bifrost. Z's review on the MB makes me want to save a little and opt for the 4490 though..

Feb 14, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #32,604 of 46,554
Dude I'm not going to debate with you. That wasn't even directed your way. I know what I hear. No need to volume match. You got better gear, great!

What you are hearing is what I hear. The iPhone 6S plus or even the Sennheiser HDVD800 does not compete in sound quality with the DAC of the Chord Hugo.

Even the Mojo is not on the same level as the Hugo. The DAC is the most important part if you got a very transparant amplifier.

Feb 14, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #32,605 of 46,554

You shouldn't either man.. "Milosingh" is on road to get a second ban for nonsense he posts. Most of the headphones he "recommends", he has never heard it except the HD650 maybe. He reads reviews on the internet and argues pointlessly. Note he has been banned on most audio forums under the name techboy and rite. Just google techboy+headfi to read his gems.He used to pm all the members on other forums including me for stupid questions.

Back to the thread, sound is subjective. Having more expensive gear doesn't mean you have better sounding equipment. I haven't had much experience with lots of DACS, but Ive been using an ODAC with my Crack for years with no complaints. Some like the ODAC, some just don't...

Feb 14, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #32,606 of 46,554
And do note, this is coming from a person who has a DAC that HeadFonia reviewed as better than V800 and the Conductor DAC. Both these DACs are already slightly better than the Gungnir DAC.

And I am comparing said expensive DAC to cheaper ones like those found in smartphones and sound cards. And I can tell you most of the difference doesn't exist.

This tells me that your Headfonia approved (lol) dac is really mediocre if its performance is only on par with smartphones and sound cards.

Feb 14, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #32,607 of 46,554
Should've made some popcorn for all of us
popcorn.gif
. Back to the thread. Gotta say though, 650s paired with BH crack is an amazing combo as many have already said. Just rolled in some RCA cleartops and a Chatham 6as7g to add a little more highs and the sounds is intoxicating. 

Feb 14, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #32,608 of 46,554
Again. Incorrect.

So because what YOU hear with YOUR ears, must be the truth. It can't possibly be different for any of us.

I see.

I haven't been able to find a difference in a couple of DACs - then I tried it with my friend and he was able to tell them apart in a blind test I conducted with him. So - since then I don't take my ears as a benchmark anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back