Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 14, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #32,628 of 46,564
  I tried the HD650 out and absolutely loved it as the vocals and instruments were in balance compared to the HD700 which I hated. I am looking to get some pair, but I am wondering if there is anything even more high end which sounds similar to the HD650. Budget max 600-1000€. I don't know where else to ask.

Not sure if I should just get the HD650 and save money for not spending crazy amount. 

Not similar, but better - The HE-500. You'll lose the mid-bass bump and the higher frequencies pop out a bit more, but it's nothing to make your ears bleed.

Feb 15, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #32,629 of 46,564
Feb 15, 2016 at 4:28 AM Post #32,631 of 46,564
Interesting discussion on DACs, thanks.  Seems the Schiit is pretty popular here at Head-Fi. Could be that there will be a DAC in my future.

I am still in the honeymoon phase with the HD650s and headphones in general. Continuing with the wows hearing new things in music I thought that I knew. Source is high quality mp3 from an iPod classic, 320 kbps at 48,000 kHz, if I recall correctly. With a WA6SE on the way to power the HD650s and HD598s, I was wondering if there will be any meaningful difference on the HD650s if I re-imported my library of CDs and Vinyl to a lossless format? I am so blown away with what I am hearing now, I am curious if lossless will open up the music even more?

If this will be worthwhile, there is plenty of room on a Mac server with optical out to a future DAC. Will not redo on the iPod as my audio library has filled it and I understand that lossless take much more room. (note to self - may have to set aside months to re-import music)

Figured this is the best place to post as you are the HD650 experts. If my figuring was wrong, please excuse the FNG error, but still interested in comments or redirection to proper channel, thanks.

Feb 15, 2016 at 5:58 AM Post #32,632 of 46,564
  Interesting discussion on DACs, thanks.  Seems the Schiit is pretty popular here at Head-Fi. Could be that there will be a DAC in my future.

I am still in the honeymoon phase with the HD650s and headphones in general. Continuing with the wows hearing new things in music I thought that I knew. Source is high quality mp3 from an iPod classic, 320 kbps at 48,000 kHz, if I recall correctly. With a WA6SE on the way to power the HD650s and HD598s, I was wondering if there will be any meaningful difference on the HD650s if I re-imported my library of CDs and Vinyl to a lossless format? I am so blown away with what I am hearing now, I am curious if lossless will open up the music even more?

If this will be worthwhile, there is plenty of room on a Mac server with optical out to a future DAC. Will not redo on the iPod as my audio library has filled it and I understand that lossless take much more room. (note to self - may have to set aside months to re-import music)

Figured this is the best place to post as you are the HD650 experts. If my figuring was wrong, please excuse the FNG error, but still interested in comments or redirection to proper channel, thanks.

There are a few threads that talk about MP3/FLAC bit rates.  FWIW, I rip my music in to WAV and MP3 320cbr, all stored on a server that I built, has 12TB of raid 5 storage. For use on DAP like Fiio X1, X3, X3ii the MP3/320 is fine, I can't tell the difference from WAV files.  For use on my main system I used the WAV files for classical and jazz where I can hear the difference between MP3 and WAV for these to genres some times, MP3 for everything else, again because I can't tell the difference.  Gave up with FLAC since most of my family and friends don't have devices that are setup for FLAC and most are using on line services which is mostly 256/vbr files to their iphone/android so it makes no difference.

Feb 15, 2016 at 7:11 AM Post #32,633 of 46,564

The 650HD and o2odac have been the best audio experience in the history of mankind since their birth. Regardless of how "subjective" the best headphones are, HD650 is the best set of cans o the planet when it comes to an enjoyable listening experience, neutral with a bit of pleasurable warmth. Last I checked, the 650HD was 5 dollars more expensive on amazon than the 700HD. Sennhesier made the best set of cans when they made the 650hd, thats why people who buy the hd800 look like such tools and the hd700 is just lololololol

And yes, the o2odac is the pinnacle of hifi dac/amps. sure you can go spend more money for a fancy tube amp or a multibit processing dac (that human ears can't even detect), but anything that sounds different than the o2odac is doing something wrong. Remember, companies like schiit rely on marketing and BS to make money. every time somebody buys a yggdrasil, they are laughing all the way to the bank.

Feb 15, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #32,634 of 46,564

The 650HD and o2odac have been the best audio experience in the history of mankind since their birth. Regardless of how "subjective" the best headphones are, HD650 is the best set of cans o the planet when it comes to an enjoyable listening experience, neutral with a bit of pleasurable warmth. Last I checked, the 650HD was 5 dollars more expensive on amazon than the 700HD. Sennhesier made the best set of cans when they made the 650hd, thats why people who buy the hd800 look like such tools and the hd700 is just lololololol

And yes, the o2odac is the pinnacle of hifi dac/amps. sure you can go spend more money for a fancy tube amp or a multibit processing dac (that human ears can't even detect), but anything that sounds different than the o2odac is doing something wrong. Remember, companies like schiit rely on marketing and BS to make money. every time somebody buys a yggdrasil, they are laughing all the way to the bank.

I feel dumber having read this. I don't know anything about the ODAC, but I was mightily underwhelmed by the O2. Have you heard a multibit R2R DAC or a pricier amplifier than the O2?

Feb 15, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #32,635 of 46,564

Feb 15, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #32,636 of 46,564
I feel dumber having read this. I don't know anything about the ODAC, but I was mightily underwhelmed by the O2. Have you heard a multibit R2R DAC or a pricier amplifier than the O2?

The O2 is great for the price. The ODAC is great at any price.

Feb 15, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #32,637 of 46,564
 I was wondering if there will be any meaningful difference on the HD650s if I re-imported my library of CDs and Vinyl to a lossless format?  

Take your very best-recorded albums on CD, and re-rip to lossless. Otherwise, don't waste time re-ripping everything -- but rip future CDs to lossless on a hard drive, AIFF of WAV if you want instant compatibility with Apple iDevices.

Feb 15, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #32,638 of 46,564
I was wondering if there will be any meaningful difference on the HD650s if I re-imported my library of CDs and Vinyl to a lossless format? I am so blown away with what I am hearing now, I am curious if lossless will open up the music even more?

IMO, yes. It isn't an earth shattering, details are much more apparent difference. For myself, I find the difference is mp3 comes across as a bit flatter, less overall ease/flow, and less open sounding. The HD-650's do an amazing job of "helping" lossy formats out with their presentation, however it still becomes apparent with highly resolving gear.

I would guess that I would have great difficulty Abxing 320kbps material to FLAC, however when I was first collecting mostly 320kbps and got into lossless, I found a few albums that I could reliably abx. I want the absolute best experience, so decided to get FLAC as much as possible.

It's at a point for myself where if my vinyl includes a 320kbps download only, I will buy the lossless download. I recently compared a Canadian folk singers MP3 download to the FLAC I had to buy, and definitely heard the differences. (Jadea Kelly - Clover was the artist/album.)

What is particularly infuriating about 320kbps encoded material is that I found most of the time it clips. This even includes the stuff I paid for... How anyone would be happy with that is beyond me. Check your files and see if they hit 0db... If they do I would definitely FLAC them.

Feb 15, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #32,640 of 46,564
Originally Posted by Bitten by Bug /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Continuing with the wows hearing new things in music I thought that I knew. Source is high quality mp3 from an iPod classic, 320 kbps at 48,000 kHz, if I recall correctly. With a WA6SE on the way to power the HD650s and HD598s, I was wondering if there will be any meaningful difference on the HD650s if I re-imported my library of CDs and Vinyl to a lossless format? I am so blown away with what I am hearing now, I am curious if lossless will open up the music even more?

Given the time and effort it takes to re-rip a large library, this is probably something you should experiment with, using your personal ears and personal gear. (Bearing in mind that your gear could improve in the future, and your critical h/p listening skills could too.)

Take three of your favorite albums, one that is recognized as being recorded/mastered very well, one that was poorly done, and another that's average. Rip them in a lossless format, such as FLACs, or given your Apple environment, AIFF of WAV.

Then listen to the new rips for a while. That will tell you if the difference in SQ is a big enough deal ... for YOU ... that you might want to re-rip your favorite CDs, the entire collection, or none.

But certainly switch your ripping options so that any new rips going forward are lossless. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back