Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 16, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #32,041 of 46,499
I've never sold mine. I'm debating doing it to pay towards the purchase of an EL-8 or Nighthawk, though.

Jan 16, 2016 at 6:55 AM Post #32,042 of 46,499
I sold mine before to fund other purchases that I wanted....then saved up again and when the deal was right....bought them again.

That could happen again, but they would be on my radar to buy back when the time was right....just such a solid all around headphone and one that scale right up when you upgrade or change gear.

A true classic.

Jan 16, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #32,044 of 46,499
  What would be a good portable dac/amp to go with the 650? (i don't mean for portable use, but for taking to other homes and listening from laptop etc)

Audioengine D1. Takes a USB input from a computer source. Has a touch of warmth imo. Cheap too, and can do hi-rez.

Jan 16, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #32,046 of 46,499
I hate to ask redundant questions (but I will)... Let's say someone wants to get the most out of the music they're streaming from their computer (which I do)... What kind of equipment would you guys recommend? I don't know a lot about this stuff so I do really appreciate the help. I guess you need a good amp and dac, and for the 650 it should be a tube amp. Anyway if I could get a recommendation for something to buy at various price points that would help me out a lot, thanks in advance. I would go through this whole thread but 2k+ pages is too much. Anyway I do really appreciate the help.

Jan 16, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #32,047 of 46,499
  I hate to ask redundant questions (but I will)... Let's say someone wants to get the most out of the music they're streaming from their computer (which I do)... What kind of equipment would you guys recommend? I don't know a lot about this stuff so I do really appreciate the help. I guess you need a good amp and dac, and for the 650 it should be a tube amp. Anyway if I could get a recommendation for something to buy at various price points that would help me out a lot, thanks in advance. I would go through this whole thread but 2k+ pages is too much. Anyway I do really appreciate the help.

As I said, the D1 (above post) is excellent for its price. So is Dragonfly. Don't underestimate these because they are cheaply priced. I've used them on the occasions when I do computer files from my MacBook pro 2011. Rarely, but that's not the point. They both sound terrific with 650. Make sure your source material (music files) are high quality. Crap in, crap out.

Nothing wrong with SS amps imo.....otherwise, get an Ember paired with a Dragonfly DAC and an 2xRCA-to-3.5mm cable (the latter for Dragonfly out to amp).

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #32,048 of 46,499

That will depend on your budget.

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #32,050 of 46,499

That will depend on your budget.

Let's say we want to keep it under $1k for amp and dac.

You can get a nice set up with that...OTL amp is in the equation at that price...not sure if you want tubes.....others will have nice suggestions about SS

Bifrost is a nice dac...not sure how much you want to budget for that part of the chain....do some research, you can get a wonderful set up with your budget

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #32,051 of 46,499

You can get a nice set up with that...OTL amp is in the equation at that price...not sure if you want tubes.....others will have nice suggestions about SS

Bifrost is a nice dac...not sure how much you want to budget for that part of the chain....do some research, you can get a wonderful set up with your budget

If I was to get something like this: http://bottlehead.com/product/crack-otl-headphone-amplifier-kit/

What else would be necessary to get the best sound from a computer? Sorry for the noobish quesions but I don't know much about this.

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #32,052 of 46,499

If I was to get something like this: http://bottlehead.com/product/crack-otl-headphone-amplifier-kit/

What else would be necessary to get the best sound from a computer? Sorry for the noobish quesions but I don't know much about this.

I can not imagine you would not like the sound with a Bottlehead Crack...HD650 and a nice dac.....the Bifrost is a nice dac and that would be a very nice set up, indeed

One thing about the Bottlehead Crack....you can roll tubes and you only use two tubes...so you could get some decent deals on tubes.....you may want to roll tubes, you may not

Many hear have owned that amp......it get very high praise.

I have not heard it personally, but others will chime in......... @MattTCG can give you some info on this amp, for sure  
smile.gif

He is very helpful.

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #32,053 of 46,499
  I can not imagine you would not like the sound with a Bottlehead Crack...HD650 and a nice dac.....the Bifrost is a nice dac and that would be a very nice set up, indeed

One thing about the Bottlehead Crack....you can roll tubes and you only use two tubes...so you could get some decent deals on tubes.....you may want to roll tubes, you may not

I have not heard it personally, but others will chime in.........MattTCG can give you some info on this amp, for sure  
smile.gif

He is very helpful.

What about something like this? http://www.amazon.com/Schiit-SCH-03-02-Lyr-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00LFT1Z3G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452954342&sr=8-1&keywords=lyr+headphone+amp

Do these work on their own or do they need a separate dac? If they do what's a good one?

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #32,054 of 46,499

I have not heard it personally, but others will chime in.........MattTCG can give you some info on this amp, for sure  
smile.gif

He is very helpful.

What about something like this? http://www.amazon.com/Schiit-SCH-03-02-Lyr-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00LFT1Z3G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452954342&sr=8-1&keywords=lyr+headphone+amp

Do these work on their own or do they need a separate dac? If they do what's a good one?

That would still need a dac....nice amp from what I hear

Visit the Schiit  audio site..some great stuff there.

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #32,055 of 46,499
Thank you infinite amounts for bringing this album to my attention @SirMarc
!

:beerchug:

How I never heard of it before is beyond me, but I've sure been listening to it (on the HD650s of course, ODAC/cMoyBB combo) since reading your post yesterday. Just so cool. And to think I normally don't even like jazz. Or maybe I do, and I've just been listening to the wrong kind of stuff? Anyway... listening again!

:beyersmile:

(if you have any other tips... I'm all ears, so to speak)

Cool, glad you like it. The only other jazz album I have is Kind of Blue by Miles Davis on vinyl which also sounds great. I'm mostly a classic rock with some prog kind of guy. If you want to check out something different that sounds awesome, try Buena Vista Social Club. It's Ry Cooder playing with old Cuban musicians. Very 3 dimensional sounding. For rock/prog, check out anything by Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree.

I've been doing the same thing with the 45 rpm anniversary edition of The Yes Album. Since I got it last week, I must have spun it like 20 times lol. Can't believe how good it sounds. If you're a Yes fan with a decent turntable, just get it, it's that good...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back