Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 14, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #32,026 of 46,525
Feeling a bit bittersweet about shipping out my 650s tomorrow... I (most likely) will be back

Jan 15, 2016 at 5:41 AM Post #32,030 of 46,525
  Feeling a bit bittersweet about shipping out my 650s tomorrow... I (most likely) will be back

Been there done that....in the end...this is a great all round headphone.

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #32,031 of 46,525
Received mine today, and it's such a nice headphone, fantastic sound and probably even better than I remembered. I got my first one about a year ago, I used it for half a year but it was my first serious headphone I owned and I liked it a lot but I wanted to try some others too, and also I kinda wanted an even more neutral sound. Since then I've tried plenty of other headphones (some other Sennheisers too but I didn't much like them) and some headphones I really liked but they still kinda missed that little extra something that makes it an enjoyment to listen to, and for me that extra something is exactly what the HD650 has.
I use it with an Asus STU dac/amp (it's like a baby-Essence One), and it sounds pretty damn good on high gain. I do notice the high frenquencies need a little burn-in time to calm down a little to sound a little bit more open and detailed, but okay so far I've used the HP for maybe one hour :p

Jan 15, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #32,033 of 46,525
Got mine today too. :)  Bought them unheard from a local Craigslist ad with only 50 hrs use. I love the sound, if these are considered dark then consider me a darkie! Haha

I do find them a tad closed in, what is considered full break in time? How many of you are using a aftermarket cable? Im considering a Wywires Red aftermarket cable. Im using a Channel island stack with VHP-1 and VAC-1 with Chord 2 Qute.

Jan 15, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #32,034 of 46,525
Its true that they don't have that big of a soundstage in the beginning. I'm still breaking mine in too. 

Concerning the cable I'm using a monster cable dipped in onions and coated with marshmellow bits sprinkled with super conductive peanut butter (crunchy), it really brings forth the mids, and makes the highs slightly more recessed....
rolleyes.gif

Jan 15, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #32,036 of 46,525
Got mine today too. :)  Bought them unheard from a local Craigslist ad with only 50 hrs use. I love the sound, if these are considered dark then consider me a darkie! Haha

I do find them a tad closed in, what is considered full break in time? How many of you are using a aftermarket cable? Im considering a Wywires Red aftermarket cable. Im using a Channel island stack with VHP-1 and VAC-1 with Chord 2 Qute.

The stock cable sounds very good. I prefer it to the Cardas Cross and Alpha Design Labs.

Jan 16, 2016 at 4:19 AM Post #32,038 of 46,525
Don't forget Jazz at the Pawnshop too. First time I've ever 'heard the room'

Thank you infinite amounts for bringing this album to my attention @SirMarc!

beerchug.gif

How I never heard of it before is beyond me, but I've sure been listening to it (on the HD650s of course, ODAC/cMoyBB combo) since reading your post yesterday. Just so cool. And to think I normally don't even like jazz. Or maybe I do, and I've just been listening to the wrong kind of stuff? Anyway... listening again!

beyersmile.png

(if you have any other tips... I'm all ears, so to speak)

Jan 16, 2016 at 5:35 AM Post #32,040 of 46,525
  I second that...as a matter of fact that would be an interesting poll to do. How many people have sold their HD650/HD600 only to buy another pair within the year. I think you would see a LOT of raised hands.

I'll bet only about 50% would admit the truth. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back