Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 13, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #31,996 of 46,518
I spent the better part of the 80's ....wearing out my Stevie Ray Vaughan albums  :D .....man, do I miss him

Trying to remember what I listened to in the 80's besides classic rock. Robert Cray, the Police, the Smiths, Rush, U2 and the Chile Peppers before they sold out (in my opinion lol, don't want to start anything here) can't remember the rest. Was a pretty bad time for music...

Jan 13, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #31,997 of 46,518

I spent the better part of the 80's ....wearing out my Stevie Ray Vaughan albums  
biggrin.gif
.....man, do I miss him

Trying to remember what I listened to in the 80's besides classic rock. Robert Cray, the Police, the Smiths, Rush, U2 and the Chile Peppers before they sold out (in my opinion lol, don't want to start anything here) can't remember the rest. Was a pretty bad time for music...

Love me some Robert Cray

Jan 13, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #31,998 of 46,518
  It's on my list to buy. I buy used cd's and convert to FLAC. I've NEVER seen a used copy of Jazz at the pawnshop.
It's pretty pricey to buy new, so I'm still on the hunt.

There's a number of copies on ebay right now for under $15 shipped.

Jan 13, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #32,000 of 46,518
The Fabulous Thunderbirds put out some great albums during the 80's, and early Los Lobos.

Jan 13, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #32,001 of 46,518
The Fabulous Thunderbirds put out some great albums during the 80's, and early Los Lobos.

+1

Los Lobos - Tin Can Trust....I love it.

Fab. T-Birds.....yeah great stuff, and with Jimmy Vaughan

I have been into Bonamassa big time the last few years, I love all of it.

Jan 13, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #32,002 of 46,518
Jan 13, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #32,003 of 46,518
The HD 650 does do better with poorly or hotly mastered recordings than my other cans. There is also a personal element in determining what is a poor recording or not.

Classical recordings from the 50s have excellent sound quality. RCA Victor's living stereo recordings date from the early 50s. Some of Decca's mono recordings from the late 40s are also very decent and get better in the preceding years. Their engineers had been called on to develop tech that could detect German subs during the war, which ended up helping greatly in the development or high fidelity sound recording.

However, I also have a selection of acoustic recordings from 100+ years ago played on an acoustic phonograph that a (unfortunately ex) forum member graciously recorded and converted by mp3, and shared.

When I understood how these acoustic recordings were recorded it blew my mind. In the context of having been recorded without electricity, and played via actual needles, I consider the SQ excellent. The voices give me chills every time. Were you to play these recordings on an acoustic phonograph, you would be filling your room, with the songs of acoustically captured ghosts in the closest sense possible.

I remain forever grateful and indebted to that member in opening my eyes to what can constitute a good recording, and the musical endeavour of man.

FWIW I'm 30, and enjoy modern recordings

An example of an acoustic recording from 1917: Subject matter sung about sounds familiar in 2016.

Jan 13, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #32,005 of 46,518
I think as we gradually lose high frequency hearing with age, our brains compensate so it really goes unnoticed.  A sudden hearing loss due to injury, etc. would be very noticeable because there is no time for adjustment.

Aye, this makes sense.

Also keep in mind the frequencies of music. Even considering harmonics, we audiophools with old ears can discern pretty small aberrations.

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #32,007 of 46,518
Jan 14, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #32,009 of 46,518
on a lot of songs i hear like  "fire cackling" sound, not sure if its static/damage on my 650hds, can anyone else on their 650hds check for me? do you hear that "fire cackling" sound in the beginning of this song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rndo8VOQuA

also do you hear cackling in this song when it goes b b b boooound 2 fall innn looove?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPxkp2F-nAQ

thanks

Jan 14, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #32,010 of 46,518
  on a lot of songs i hear like  "fire cackling" sound, not sure if its static/damage on my 650hds, can anyone else on their 650hds check for me? do you hear that "fire cackling" sound in the beginning of this song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rndo8VOQuA

also do you hear cackling in this song when it goes b b b boooound 2 fall innn looove?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPxkp2F-nAQ

thanks

Yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back