Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 31, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #31,532 of 46,514

Hmmm, not so sure. I have both and think they are different enough to keep 'em both. The HD650 on the BH Crack with Speedball is hard to beat with certain genres. I think the LCD-2 is slightly better in some genres and equally nice in others. I find the Hifiman HE-560 a better upgrade path(with leather pads). 

Cheers,
K

+1

Dec 31, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #31,533 of 46,514
I will agree with your assessment, I own both the hd650 and LCD 2 running off mjolnir 2 amp and soon pulse xfi, I am increasing finding out hard to listen to the hd650 since I find the LCD 2 to be more detailed, transparent and to have better bass...I might end up selling the senns....:grin:
@castleofargh

Maybe all 650's sound a little bit different.

One more reason why the 650 is no longer in the I LOVE THEM category is because I've been spoilt by the LCD2 and MDR Z7. If you do get a chance to listen to a Z7 do so its FABULOUS. Lots of people think its a thick sounding can and it is when under amped but listen to it on a powerful transparent desktop amp and its AWESOME.  It doesn't sound like a bag of spanners when under amped but the delta b/w it being played while under amped and played from a transparent powerful desktop amp is so big its beggars belief.

Dec 31, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #31,534 of 46,514
Applied dynamat to the HD650, removed the foam carefully behind the driver. So far tighter bass, less wooly, less volume of the long decaying bass that masks a bit of the details. This leads to a general tighter, more detailed presentation. Less bloat/woolyness -> better bass body and details. Amazing. 

Next step is the coin mod. 

Dec 31, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #31,535 of 46,514
You are quite right - the 560's and the 500's share very little of anything. That's why I didn't buy the 560's.

I did buy the 650's some time ago and the HE-400i (I traded in the 560's - didn't like them at all - I liked the 500's though) which while a nice planar and a bit like a really clear 650 was usurped by the Audeze LCD2's which I personally find a tad on the heavy side but the helium balloons do help!

Dec 31, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #31,536 of 46,514
  Outstanding!!

Does anyone really believe that Sennheiser gives a rat's ...well you can fill in that blank, what we think - I don't want to get banned already - I don't even have enough posts to give myself an Avatar or any background - but I can Buy stuff - sell - nope!

Absolutely!
I can tell you that I am a very Pro USA guy and it is extremely rare you will hear me talk out in support of a foreign manufacturer. But as a company that started in 1945 and has grown into an international juggernaut, they didn't get where they are by selling snake-oil and showing dis-respect for their customers. So yes, I believe Senn cares very much what their customers think.

Dec 31, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #31,537 of 46,514
I agree in that we are ALL entitled to our opinions and in the face of hard evidence to contrary they are valid opinions!

So your opinion counts just as mine does and anyone else's.

My only question is - where is the hard factual evidence? Do you have some personal experience that leads you to this opinion? Just asking!

I do with Sennheiser in Canada, and while it all worked out in the end, trying to simply get replacement ear pads and that sort of thing turned into a major production. No online capability nor will there be anytime soon.

And so I of course asked the  chap guy his opinion about Senn...... on a number of issues and his views and commentary were interesting and quite revealing.

So thats my only source.

Sennheisers were my first headphones - the ones with the yellow pads and I loved them - I don't know where they went..........but after buying a few more pairs I stopped with headphones - I have stereos!

I do have my PX-100 portables and I have had those since inception - I love listening to them on a beach in the Caribbean and have been listening for years - and they still work. I, nobody else just me, think they ruined them with the PX-100II or maybe it was PX-200 I have them both - the original still sounds the same.

So in hard fact who really knows. I don't! I just based my viewpoint on a conversation with one of their employees who seems to do it all!

But at the end of the day if you take away all the frequency charts and measurements this forum is about our opinions, and nothing more since we all hear and resister that hearing in our brains differently.

Dec 31, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #31,538 of 46,514
  Absolutely!
I can tell you that I am a very Pro USA guy and it is extremely rare you will hear me talk out in support of a foreign manufacturer. But as a company that started in 1945 and has grown into an international juggernaut, they didn't get where they are by selling snake-oil and showing dis-respect for their customers. So yes, I believe Senn cares very much what their customers think.

They released the 800S so I would agree... but then they also released the 630VB and hahaha, the joke's on us.

Also, waiting for the big upgrade to my sound sometime in the next 4 years in Canada. It'll have a nice, organic sound quality. Seriously, much better than gear swapping.
Also made in Canada, but not Bryston gear :p 

Dec 31, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #31,539 of 46,514
  ... but then they also released the 630VB and hahaha, the joke's on us.

Not a joke, just another product to fill some customers opinion.  You know what they say about opinions. LOL

Jan 1, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #31,540 of 46,514

I thought the 560s sounded significantly different from the 500. I haven't sampled the HE-560, so I don't know. I've got HE-500s...

And very strong neck muscles.

LoL!  They're heavy all right but not as bad as everyone makes them out to be, especially if you put an aftermarket cushioned headband on them.  I have no trouble listening to them for hours since I did that.  Terrific phones.  But then so are my HD 650's.  Neither of them will ever leave my possession.

Jan 1, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #31,541 of 46,514
@Sal1950, @muchtooloud

I second what @Sal1950 said. Senn cares about its customers. They make quality products that cater to every segment of the market.

I also think they have the best after sales support out of all the headphone manufacturers*. Even 20 year old models can be serviced.

I own an IE80 and the cable developed a crack near the left channel connection so the left channel stopped working. I needed to get it replaced. All I had to do was drop an email and ship the damaged cable along with a copy of the bill and I got a brand new replacement cable within a week, no questions asked.

Where I think they can improve is offer a 5 yr warranty on their flagship models  like HD800/700 and the soon to be released HD800S.

*Beyerdynamic offers a 5 yr  warranty on their flagship models

Jan 2, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #31,542 of 46,514
Hi folks. I've recently noticed distortion on the right channel of my HD 650 in low frequencies. Upon putting it thru a test frequency sweep it seems to be at around 50hz and +/- 25hz around there. Interestingly though a bit of jiggling the headset seems to temporarily solve the buzzing. Does this sound like a partially blown transducer, or something that needs to be taken apart and cleaned?
Thanks!

Jan 2, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #31,543 of 46,514
  Hi folks. I've recently noticed distortion on the right channel of my HD 650 in low frequencies. Upon putting it thru a test frequency sweep it seems to be at around 50hz and +/- 25hz around there. Interestingly though a bit of jiggling the headset seems to temporarily solve the buzzing. Does this sound like a partially blown transducer, or something that needs to be taken apart and cleaned?
Thanks!

Maybe a hair has worked its way into the driver..

Jan 2, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #31,544 of 46,514
  @Sal1950, @muchtooloud

I second what @Sal1950 said. Senn cares about its customers. They make quality products that cater to every segment of the market.

I also think they have the best after sales support out of all the headphone manufacturers*. Even 20 year old models can be serviced.

I own an IE80 and the cable developed a crack near the left channel connection so the left channel stopped working. I needed to get it replaced. All I had to do was drop an email and ship the damaged cable along with a copy of the bill and I got a brand new replacement cable within a week, no questions asked.

Where I think they can improve is offer a 5 yr warranty on their flagship models  like HD800/700 and the soon to be released HD800S.

*Beyerdynamic offers a 5 yr  warranty on their flagship models

The HD800 / HD800S have a 5 year warranty if you register them at Sennheiser.

Jan 2, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #31,545 of 46,514
The Z7 is precisely the reason why my HD650s are up for sale
smily_headphones1.gif

And I agree the LCD-2 is the logical upgrade for the 650s.

For me they are just too different for one to be a logical upgrade over the other. The price of the lcd2 over 650 is considerably more, but the SQ certainly isn't. Imaging, dynamics and overall tone is better on the Senn's (though I can understand some preferring the liquidy mids of the planar). The Audeze go deeper and are smoother but have quite a closed sound which is not ideal for larger dynamic music. Great for small ensemble or Jazz though. So yes keeping both makes a lot of sense to me. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back