Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Oct 5, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #29,521 of 46,518
  I like my complementary headphone to be a different sound signature also....leaning toward the RS1 at this point....always was a big fan of this can for rock music.

Be careful not to get the current RS-1e.  There's a pretty strong consensus on the Grado thread that it's the worst version of the RS-1.  I had one and quickly returned it.  It sounded so strange I thought something was wrong with it.  The GS-1 is a great sounding Grado, in my opinion it's more like earlier versions of the RS-1

Oct 5, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #29,522 of 46,518

Be careful not to get the current RS-1e.  There's a pretty strong consensus on the Grado thread that it's the worst version of the RS-1.  I had one and quickly returned it.  It sounded so strange I thought something was wrong with it.  The GS-1 is a great sounding Grado, in my opinion it's more like earlier versions of the RS-1

+1, I tried the RS1e before I got my RS2e, the RS1e was "off" sounding, sent it back in a week.  I heard the GS-1 in Japan a few weeks ago, really liked it but too close to RS2e and I like my SennGrado's better.

Oct 5, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #29,523 of 46,518

I like my complementary headphone to be a different sound signature also....leaning toward the RS1 at this point....always was a big fan of this can for rock music.

Yeah, I am well aware of the RS1e....i had an RS1i and loved it...maybe I will get a classic one this time, with the buttons   
smile.gif

Oct 5, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #29,524 of 46,518
Yeah, I am well aware of the RS1e....i had an RS1i and loved it...maybe I will get a classic one this time, with the buttons   :smile:

Good luck. I bought my first pair of RS-1's the day they hit the stores. I remember it was the Friday after Thanksgiving 1995. That was my only headphone for years until I got an HD600. I sold it on head-fi with the wooden box a couple years ago for a pretty high price.

Oct 6, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #29,525 of 46,518
Got them today, love em right out of the box man! Forget about burn in and the veil mumbo jumbo (could be because I owned the HD600 twice I'm already used to the sound)
beyersmile.png

Actually forgot I had them on a few times, already like them better than my focal spirit pro, they sound less hollow than the Focals (openback design)? The bass on the Focal is better though, but it doesn't bother me all that much. 

Something crazy I noticed is that with Sonarworks reference vst, comparing to the HD650 the Focals change way more. The Focals almost sound like a different headphone with sonarworks compared to the hd650 which only gets some more bass extension tbh. I still won't get rid of my Focals though, they both have their place! 

Oct 6, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #29,526 of 46,518
The hd650 is one of the best hi fi cans around; especially given the price. I find myself always returning to them if I wander off to something else.

There's always something 'right' about their sound to me.

Oct 6, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #29,528 of 46,518
  I have had HD650 for some years and I am pretty satisfied with it. I always have the temptation to upgrade it to HD 800. Do you think it is worth the triple price?

If you prefer the sound of the HD800 it may be.  Personally, I think the HD650 is better for enjoying music.

Oct 6, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #29,529 of 46,518
  I have had HD650 for some years and I am pretty satisfied with it. I always have the temptation to upgrade it to HD 800. Do you think it is worth the triple price

Many listener here have or have had 800s and prefer their 650s, but it's a personal choice.
If your looking for a slightly brighter, more detail on top sound, the 800s might be for you..

Oct 6, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #29,530 of 46,518
the hd800 is to attention grabbing and fatigue what the hd650 is to rocking chair, peaceful and non fatiguing. it's not an upgrade, it's a coming out and a political statement, to decide on purpose to sell one for the other.

that said I hate the sound of the hd800 as is, but do believe it's one of the most resolving headphones I have ever heard. so it really depends on what we're looking for.

Oct 6, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #29,531 of 46,518
Gosh it has been a long while since I last have these puppies a longer listen... and I come back to hundreds of posts.... couldn't bear reading it all.

However, that being said... even after extensive time with the LCDX, these definitely give a more relaxed and "natural" tone that just helps them disappear on your head. Love using these while marking... so forgiving!

Oct 6, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #29,532 of 46,518
  the hd800 is to attention grabbing and fatigue what the hd650 is to rocking chair, peaceful and non fatiguing. it's not an upgrade, it's a coming out and a political statement, to decide on purpose to sell one for the other.

that said I hate the sound of the hd800 as is, but do believe it's one of the most resolving headphones I have ever heard. so it really depends on what we're looking for.

Just as you say... the LCDX are very transparent (like the HD800) but can be somewhat tiring with the speed of it's sound. Like being outside on a bright clear sunny day for a long time without sunglasses... the eyes just love the rest when you come back indoors home
tongue.gif

Oct 6, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #29,533 of 46,518
Gosh it has been a long while since I last have these puppies a longer listen... and I come back to hundreds of posts.... couldn't bear reading it all.

However, that being said... even after extensive time with the LCDX, these definitely give a more relaxed and "natural" tone that just helps them disappear on your head. Love using these while marking... so forgiving!

Yes! I've owned Audeze LCD-2, 3 and X and absolutely prefer the good old 650's.

Oct 7, 2015 at 2:52 AM Post #29,534 of 46,518
Yes! I've owned Audeze LCD-2, 3 and X and absolutely prefer the good old 650's.

That's so good to hear. You guys just keep saving me a whole lot of money. I love my 650s, no use in looking else where. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back