Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 17, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #28,996 of 46,565
12000 unread posts
basshead.gif
this is by far the most active thread in all of headfi (arguably) for a can that's considered a dinosaur.
I'm glad i'm sill rocking mine

Sep 17, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #28,997 of 46,565
  12000 unread posts
basshead.gif
this is by far the most active thread in all of headfi (arguably) for a can that's considered a dinosaur.
I'm glad i'm sill rocking mine

The only ones considering HD 650s dinosaurs are those addicted to constantly changing gear only for the sake of change. They might not be the best phones ever but they're still one of the most musical available and the go-to phones for many true audiophiles.

Sep 17, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #28,999 of 46,565
Well just let me say, I bought a pair of 650's from amazon Christmas 2012, used them up until May of this year, when amazon had a one hour sale, for $230 for the 650's so I bought a second pair, did not want to be without the sound.  First pair came in a silver box, same silver-white drivers.  second one came in the black box, same silver-white drivers with new hologram.  Initially the BLACK box pair sounded different  I thought I detected subtle nuances on the new pair and I really liked them better.  That being said, I have now put on several hundred hours on the new pair, and figured why not try the OLD pair just for the heck of it before I sell them.  Unboxed them put them on and listened for a couple hours.  Funny, I think I heard a subtle nuance on the older pair that was not there on the NEW pair, oh what to do now.  Perhaps I will put the old pair in the BLACK box for awhile and see if maybe the color of the box changes things.  NOTHING has been changed on the headphone except for the hologram on one of the drivers and the new BLACK box.  Fact is maybe when I put up the older pair for sale I will include the new BLACK box so that the new owner will feel the nuances as well.  As far as buying and returning headphones over and over again looking for a different outcome, probably not the headphones but expectations or gear in use.

whoa, what trickery is this.

pm me, I'm interested and gullible

Sep 17, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #29,001 of 46,565
Sep 17, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #29,002 of 46,565
  The only ones considering HD 650s dinosaurs are those addicted to constantly changing gear only for the sake of change. They might not be the best phones ever but they're still one of the most musical available and the go-to phones for many true audiophiles.

It doesn't help that there are a lot of reviews written everyday that aren't exactly critical of the gear. It encourages people to chase FOTM headphones and gear... unaware of the reviewers agenda, or perhaps their ignorance. You have a fair amount of people who simply want to say a lot of good things about the gear, perhaps to justify their purchase, or perhaps because they haven't had a proper breadth of experience with other gear to form a basis of comparison.

I much prefer people who are willing to articulate on the short comings of gear, in a way that doesn't bash the gear, but simply states why it might be bought and then sold months later. This applies to a fair amount of the gear that trades hands on a regular basis here. It's not all bad, don't get me wrong. There also has to be a market for people to start somewhere, and work their way to their personal top of the line setup.

I personally laugh at most of the front page reviews here... there is a reason some people refer to the hype. I've had the pleasure of hearing quite a few of the "mid-fi" classified headphones, and there are only really one or two that stick out from the pack, in my opinion. (The HD-650's being one.)

The very worst part of this whole ordeal in my opinion is the constantly rising price of flagship headphones. Not sure if anyone has had a chance to see the HE-1000's disassembled, but let's just say that a fair amount of the cost must be going to research and development. Not a bad thing, but there has to be some expectation of quality of material when you get into that 5 figure category.

Sep 17, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #29,004 of 46,565
  It doesn't help that there are a lot of reviews written everyday that aren't exactly critical of the gear. It encourages people to chase FOTM headphones and gear... unaware of the reviewers agenda, or perhaps their ignorance. You have a fair amount of people who simply want to say a lot of good things about the gear, perhaps to justify their purchase, or perhaps because they haven't had a proper breadth of experience with other gear to form a basis of comparison.

I much prefer people who are willing to articulate on the short comings of gear, in a way that doesn't bash the gear, but simply states why it might be bought and then sold months later. This applies to a fair amount of the gear that trades hands on a regular basis here. It's not all bad, don't get me wrong. There also has to be a market for people to start somewhere, and work their way to their personal top of the line setup.

I personally laugh at most of the front page reviews here... there is a reason some people refer to the hype. I've had the pleasure of hearing quite a few of the "mid-fi" classified headphones, and there are only really one or two that stick out from the pack, in my opinion. (The HD-650's being one.)

The very worst part of this whole ordeal in my opinion is the constantly rising price of flagship headphones. Not sure if anyone has had a chance to see the HE-1000's disassembled, but let's just say that a fair amount of the cost must be going to research and development. Not a bad thing, but there has to be some expectation of quality of material when you get into that 5 figure category.

+1 & AMEN to your complete post, you hit the truth nail right on the head.

Sep 17, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #29,005 of 46,565
Com'on...it comes with the black box.

Seriously, I just have to know why these things are still around.

Just like the other 98% :unamused:

Cause people keep buying them, some users have bought them 3 & 4 times over.
As long as they keep selling Senn will keep making em
Just like the HD 600s, there's people still in love with them.
Newer isn't always better, Paul Gowan recently spent a fortune to purchase and 
install a pair of 25 year old Infinity IRS Vs in PS Audio's listening room.
Some designs are timeless.

Sep 17, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #29,006 of 46,565
  Those are stock photos of the new version. The photo shows them sitting in a black box.

Also, those are the Denmark ones, which have a slight recession from 325-327 Hz, but it is only 0.12dB, so most likely you won't notice it. Unless you are feeding it with gear that has a DC bias over 18.7V, and it's a full moon from the 10th - 27th of the month, between the hours of 7:54am - 11:17am.

You had me reading on the edge of my chair until the full moon part. Well played.

Sep 18, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #29,007 of 46,565

First of all, I'm sure that most of the guys who wrote those reviews that ended up on the front page here, myself included,  don't appreciate the ridicule just to be honest. It would be a mistake to assume that you understand the intention or motivation behind even one of the reviews that you've dismissed as FOTM fodder. People put hours and hours of their own time into sharing their experience and it's wrong to be dismissive about someones efforts. There are so many quotes that seem appropriate here, but maybe "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." 
tongue.gif
  Come on man, that's someone's hard work. Try to put that in perspective. 

So you saw a few pics of the he-1000 on CS and decided to jump on the bash wagon, huh. Do you own the he1000? Have you even heard it? If so, you'd be humbled by one of the best sounding headphones you'll ever hear at any price. 

Come on, be a little more humble and appreciative of the time and effort people put in here. Or...don't. 
wink.gif

Sep 18, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #29,008 of 46,565
I use critical reviews to short-list potential upgrade gear. They are, mostly, quite informative. For me, I like a balanced perspective, strengths and perceived "weaknesses", all in a review. The ones with carefully measured graphs are quite impressive (e.g. Stereophile), especially for speakers. In the end, I always recommend auditioning if possible, not just for HPs.

Sep 18, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #29,009 of 46,565

First of all, I'm sure that most of the guys who wrote those reviews that ended up on the front page here, myself included,  don't appreciate the ridicule just to be honest. It would be a mistake to assume that you understand the intention or motivation behind even one of the reviews that you've dismissed as FOTM fodder. People put hours and hours of their own time into sharing their experience and it's wrong to be dismissive about someones efforts. There are so many quotes that seem appropriate here, but maybe "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." 
tongue.gif
  Come on man, that's someone's hard work. Try to put that in perspective. 

So you saw a few pics of the he-1000 on CS and decided to jump on the bash wagon, huh. Do you own the he1000? Have you even heard it? If so, you'd be humbled by one of the best sounding headphones you'll ever hear at any price. 

Come on, be a little more humble and appreciative of the time and effort people put in here. Or...don't. 
wink.gif

I can actually see sense in what mikoss was trying to articulate.  Instead of being offensive, I think he was really trying to say that some reviewers that are always overly positive about any gear they own aren't really giving readers a view of the big picture.  Realistically, there has to be a reason why a reviewer will give a 100% positive (or even 99%) positive review about gear and then post it on the classifieds the next week.  I'm sure there are many reasons, but in the end, these overly positive reviews do lead to hype, which leads to increased sales, and eventually more costly headphones and equipment.

I wouldn't get so bent out of shape as I don't think it was a personal attack on front page reviewers, but rather his opinion on the flow of the increasing popularity of head-fi, which is causing a hurt on our wallets.

Sep 18, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #29,010 of 46,565
Before I act on any review I....

a) check to see if I've read the reviewer before and whether past reviews have tallied with what I've heard.
b) check other sites.
c) search on the internet for other reviews.
d) watch those 'funny' and often daft reviews on YouTube.
e) check Tyll's site or Goldenears for FR charts.

Then look for a good price.

If you act on one reviewer on here then you must be nuts. :wink:

I don't think people should get carried away by the quality or lack of on these sites. Fact is, someone is trying to review something and they aren't pro writers. Spelling/Grammar often gives that away. (for instance - base is too high .... that makes me cringe and I think .... kid?)

On the whole HF is pretty OK and works for experienced and inexperienced people, but I do tire of smart alecs and smart comments more than the weak reviews actually. That in itself got me to make my own site where smart alecs just don't happen.

If you're buying flavour of the month on here without research, then your wallet deserves you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back