Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 14, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #28,921 of 46,565
Mine are 4+ ears old.. still going strong... I ran into this same "issue" in the first year.  I don't anticipate it becoming problematic and mine went away after a couple of months.
Badfish5446 thanks, hopefully mine will do the same

Sep 14, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #28,923 of 46,565
Hi all!

I'm still researching amps and DAC's that work well with the hd 650. I am pretty interested in the project ember amp. However, I did recently notice the magni/modi 2 uber stack. I would like to know if this stack is a great pairing for the hd 650. Especially in comparison to the project ember amp (I understand I will have to buy a DAC as well if I were to go with the ember). Any ideas on this stack?

Sep 14, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #28,924 of 46,565
I like the flexibility of tube rolling so I would go Ember, but the I've grown quite found of tubes... 
biggrin.gif

Also a big fan of Schiit so I think you just need to weigh how much you need a DAC and a good amp versus no DAC and a better/more flexible amp (pairing wise).

Clarifying: by "No DAC" I meant for the price

Sep 14, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #28,925 of 46,565
I like the flexibility of tube rolling so I would go Ember, but the I've grown quite found of tubes... :D

Also a big fan of Schiit so I think you just need to weigh how much you need a DAC and a good amp versus no DAC and a better/more flexible amp (pairing wise).

Clarifying: by "No DAC" I meant for the price

Thanks for replying!

This makes sense. Would you say the ember produces better sound quality than the schiit products when paired with the hd 650? I really just want the best quality/pairing.

Sep 14, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #28,926 of 46,565
Hi all!

I'm still researching amps and DAC's that work well with the hd 650. I am pretty interested in the project ember amp. However, I did recently notice the magni/modi 2 uber stack. I would like to know if this stack is a great pairing for the hd 650. Especially in comparison to the project ember amp (I understand I will have to buy a DAC as well if I were to go with the ember). Any ideas on this stack?

The Modi2uber is a decent DAC and will work with the Ember quite well, I'm using one with my Asgard2 for my lanai gaming/entertainment system.  I haven't tried the new Magni2 so I can't comment on it but some have said that its a improvement on the original, also for me it would be going backwards from what I currently have, BH Crack, Asgard2, Lyr2, and Ember.

I started out using the line out of my Xonar DG sound card when I first got the Ember and it sounded pretty good, about the same as the original modi that I got a few weeks later.  Original modi is okay if your sound card is really bad, most current motherboards have decent DAC chip sets so if you can't get a DAC at this time just get the Ember and save up for a decent DAC down the road. 

Currently have a Bifrost uber and UD-301 with the Ember and these 2 DACs are pretty much end game for me as everything that I've heard that sounds better was way out of my price range, $1500+.

Sep 14, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #28,927 of 46,565
Thanks for replying!

This makes sense. Would you say the ember produces better sound quality than the schiit products when paired with the hd 650? I really just want the best quality/pairing.

I think the Ember would give you more flexibility to find your "better sound".  With the Magni 2/U you would be locked in to one sound.  I just like the way tubes sound and comparing my new LSST's from Schiit with my NOS Phillips MiniWatts I think I will still with the MiniWatts.  Some of the "life" is missing with the solid state tube replacements.

Sep 14, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #28,928 of 46,565
  The Modi2uber is a decent DAC and will work with the Ember quite well, I'm using one with my Asgard2 for my lanai gaming/entertainment system.  I haven't tried the new Magni2 so I can't comment on it but some have said that its a improvement on the original, also for me it would be going backwards from what I currently have, BH Crack, Asgard2, Lyr2, and Ember.

I started out using the line out of my Xonar DG sound card when I first got the Ember and it sounded pretty good, about the same as the original modi that I got a few weeks later.  Original modi is okay if your sound card is really bad, most current motherboards have decent DAC chip sets so if you can't get a DAC at this time just get the Ember and save up for a decent DAC down the road. 

Currently have a Bifrost uber and UD-301 with the Ember and these 2 DACs are pretty much end game for me as everything that I've heard that sounds better was way out of my price range, $1500+.

Not to derail the thread but I really have to know what you think of the Bifrost Uber vs the UD-301? These are the top two candidates for my DAC replacement, also would be interested in your thoughts on the pairing with the Ember.

Sep 14, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #28,929 of 46,565
Hello lads,

Question! I'm thinking of getting a HD650 + Schitt Modi2 / Magni2 stack, hoping for a massive upgrade from my Harman Kardon CL driven straight from my laptop. NOW! I'm living in the jungle in Thailand and as you can imagine this place is pretty damn moist. Anyone have experience with the HD650 in humid conditions? How do they hold up?

Sep 14, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #28,930 of 46,565

Seems like the ember is the better option for an amp. Maybe I'll get that along with the modi uber 2. Thanks for the help!

Sep 14, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #28,931 of 46,565
I think the Ember would give you more flexibility to find your "better sound".  With the Magni 2/U you would be locked in to one sound.  I just like the way tubes sound and comparing my new LSST's from Schiit with my NOS Phillips MiniWatts I think I will still with the MiniWatts.  Some of the "life" is missing with the solid state tube replacements.

I see. I do remember seeing someone say that solid state amps aren't the best kind, especially when paired with the hd 650. I think I'll go with the project ember, and I may get the modi uber 2 as well, unless I find a better option for a DAC. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

Sep 14, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #28,932 of 46,565
I see. I do remember seeing someone say that solid state amps aren't the best kind, especially when paired with the hd 650. I think I'll go with the project ember, and I may get the modi uber 2 as well, unless I find a better option for a DAC. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

Not to confuse you but if you are only looking for an amp for the HD-650 I would go with the BH Crack, its a better pairing IMO.  The BH Crack is also on sale right now for $279 + $20 speedball upgrade, shipping extra depending on where you are located.  If you have other headphones or are planning to get others like a planar down the line then the Ember is the way to go.  And if you go with either one know that they both use many of the same driver tubes.

Sep 14, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #28,933 of 46,565
  Hello lads,

Question! I'm thinking of getting a HD650 + Schitt Modi2 / Magni2 stack, hoping for a massive upgrade from my Harman Kardon CL driven straight from my laptop. NOW! I'm living in the jungle in Thailand and as you can imagine this place is pretty damn moist. Anyone have experience with the HD650 in humid conditions? How do they hold up?

I live in Hawaii which is close to the same humid conditions but I live in a condo with central air so its pretty dry.  Some of my friends who live in houses say the humidity will affect the drivers and electronics so you might want to have some storage where you can control the humidity.

Sep 14, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #28,934 of 46,565
Not to confuse you but if you are only looking for an amp for the HD-650 I would go with the BH Crack, its a better pairing IMO.  The BH Crack is also on sale right now for $279 + $20 speedball upgrade, shipping extra depending on where you are located.  If you have other headphones or are planning to get others like a planar down the line then the Ember is the way to go.  And if you go with either one know that they both use many of the same driver tubes.

I've seen that the BH crack is a great amp to pair with the hd 650, but I realized that the bh crack has to be put together/built. If I can purchase an already built version of the bh crack, I'll definitely do that instead. Especially since there is a deal for it right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back