Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 10, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #28,831 of 46,565
Well, depends on your age. After certain age, going out starts to be more rare. Churchill wise words still resounding: "Don't worry about avoiding temptation...As you grow older it will avoid you". Although, I don't think he meant by that, going out with HPs 
biggrin.gif

I'm 54 and still love going out, GF and I usually start the night around 11pm 2-3 times a week, meet up with friends and have a few drinks, karaoke bars, jazz bars, dance night clubs and once in a while strip clubs.

AKG headphones for me are K553 pro and K7XX, 553 since its closed and has a nice soundstage, bass is good if you can get a good seal around your ears, the K7XX is a little like the HD-650 but with a wider soundstage and a different presentation of the bass and highs which I like once in a while.

PS: heard a DT-1770 yesterday, like the sound from it, will research it more when I get back from Japan

Sep 10, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #28,832 of 46,565
  I'm 54 and still love going out, GF and I usually start the night around 11pm 2-3 times a week, meet up with friends and have a few drinks, karaoke bars, jazz bars, dance night clubs and once in a while strip clubs.

AKG headphones for me are K553 pro and K7XX, 553 since its closed and has a nice soundstage, bass is good if you can get a good seal around your ears, the K7XX is a little like the HD-650 but with a wider soundstage and a different presentation of the bass and highs which I like once in a while.

PS: heard a DT-1770 yesterday, like the sound from it, will research it more when I get back from Japan

Hawaii´s culture make people go out easly, it similar in what i see in my country.

Sep 10, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #28,833 of 46,565
Wish I had a chance to hear the K702's with a proper amping set up. When I owned them, they severely lacked bass, and sounded extremely shrill to me... Sahara Desert dry. Anyway I would enjoy hearing them being driven properly, but I suspect they'd still be too dry for my liking, after falling for the 650's...
If you get chance try the k712. They are pretty special

Sep 10, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #28,834 of 46,565
i wonder what effect this cushions will make on my HD600 with 650 drivers
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261887216497?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=560727544029&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
i already bough them, will let you know

Sep 10, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #28,835 of 46,565
Sep 10, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #28,836 of 46,565
Hello! 

I have been doing some research on amps for the hd650. I plan on purchasing those phones sometime soon, and I would like to purchase an amp that I can pair with them right away as soon as I get them. I'm heavily considering the Schiit Valhalla 2, and I am wondering if this is an ideal pairing for the hd650. Also, would this amp be all that I need in order to power these phones properly? I am extremely new to hifi headphones, and I would like to make sure that I get the best sound possible out of the hd650. Does anyone have any good advice for me in regards to this situation?

Sep 10, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #28,837 of 46,565
Sep 10, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #28,838 of 46,565
  Hello! 

I have been doing some research on amps for the hd650. I plan on purchasing those phones sometime soon, and I would like to purchase an amp that I can pair with them right away as soon as I get them. I'm heavily considering the Schiit Valhalla 2, and I am wondering if this is an ideal pairing for the hd650. Also, would this amp be all that I need in order to power these phones properly? I am extremely new to hifi headphones, and I would like to make sure that I get the best sound possible out of the hd650. Does anyone have any good advice for me in regards to this situation?

I have Schiit gear (Magni, Modi, Magni 2U, Sys and Bifrost) all of which is SS however I have been drooling over a tube amp for a while now (still kind of gun shy though) and have considered the Valhalla 2 and Lyr 2 but the folks on the HD650 thread have been raving about the Project Ember for quite some time.  I have researched this hybrid tube amp (reading the Project Ember thread) and exchanged emails with Jeremy.  I am intrigued by what I have learned and might pull the trigger next year some time.

You might want to do some research on this amp as well.  It's competitively priced with the Valhalla 2.  Happy hunting.

Sep 11, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #28,839 of 46,565
  Hello! 

I have Schiit gear (Magni, Modi, Magni 2U, Sys and Bifrost) all of which is SS however I have been drooling over a tube amp for a while now (still kind of gun shy though) and have considered the Valhalla 2 and Lyr 2 but the folks on the HD650 thread have been raving about the Project Ember for quite some time.  I have researched this hybrid tube amp (reading the Project Ember thread) and exchanged emails with Jeremy.  I am intrigued by what I have learned and might pull the trigger next year some time.

You might want to do some research on this amp as well.  It's competitively priced with the Valhalla 2.  Happy hunting.

Many here love the Ember and I'm no exception but for the HD-650 I find the BH Crack to be a better match.  I think its almost like they were designed to work together almost perfectly.  I also have a Lyr2 which is another good amp but for the HD-650 the Ember and BH Crack are better matches.
If you can only get one amp I would go for the Ember, the most versatile of any amp I've had the pleasure of trying, this is even after visiting my friend in Japan this pass week who has stuff that I only dream about and gave me an opportunity to try some fairly high end equipment in a purpose built room.
One thing I will say about the Bifrost and either the Valhalla2/Lyr2/Asgard2 is that the stack looks really nice.
If you are on a limited budget or just want something that is much better than out of computer headphone jack I would look at Aune T1, it was recommend to me by another here for a friend on a budget and it has worked out very well.  My friend only has 2 headphones, HD-650 and K7XX and the T1 work quite well with both.

Sep 11, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #28,840 of 46,565
  Hello! 

Just picked up a Project Solstice which is like a mini-Ember. Gotta say it sounds pretty good so far. Compared to my O2 amp there's a lot more emphasis on the low end. Very smooth and not as hard sounding compared to the O2 and I think soundstage and separation are better too.

Sep 11, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #28,841 of 46,565
Beyerdynamic has a new closed headphone out called the DT 1770, the successor of the 770. IIRC, the 770 was always a great closed alternative complimenting the sound of HD 650, and now the updated version has some truly worthy upgrades. The thread here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/776807/beyerdynamic-dt-1770-product-info-discussion-and-impressions/315#post_11903511

Basically everybody agrees that the HD 650's really come to life with tube amps. I have the Project Ember tube amp and am impressed with it, but there are two other tube amps which are said to come pretty darn close to the Zana Deux amp, at only 1/4th the price; of which blew me far, far away in amazement at home much it took the HD 650's to a whole other level. So if you're willing to spend twice the price of the Ember's tag of $300 and go all the way to the top, you can also consider one of these two:

Feliks Audio Elise

Glenn OTL amp

Sep 11, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #28,842 of 46,565
Listening to Dire Straits - On Every Street right now for the first time since I got my Emotiva Steath and HD 650s. Dang I never knew this CD rip sounded this good.  Yee Haw

Sep 11, 2015 at 3:39 AM Post #28,843 of 46,565
I've been reading and hearing conflicting information in this thread as to what type of amp is more suited for the HD-650, tube amps vs solid state amps. Having the HD-650 myself amongst others and IEMs I also concur that the HD-650 has a warmer darker character and for that reason I seem to think that solid state amps would be more suitable... Any suggestions to a DAC+solid state up to 500 USD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 11, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #28,844 of 46,565
Speaking of many different amps suitable for the HD650 it is interesting to see that Jörg Sennheiser, yes that Mr. Sennheiser, now 71, plugs his HD650 at his home directly into the wall mounted Bang & Olufsen! 

Wanted to upload the picture of him, but as Head-Fi was asking me about the copyright, I thought it's safer to post a link to the article in the small local Swiss regional newspaper. Pic description says: "He prefers to listen the music through the headphones: Jörg Sennheiser in his living room in Romanshorn."

http://www.thurgauerzeitung.ch/ostschweiz/thurgau/romanshorn/tz-ro/Der-gute-Ton-gehoert-dazu;art123832,3403820

Sep 11, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #28,845 of 46,565
Wish I had a chance to hear the K702's with a proper amping set up. When I owned them, they severely lacked bass, and sounded extremely shrill to me... Sahara Desert dry. Anyway I would enjoy hearing them being driven properly, but I suspect they'd still be too dry for my liking, after falling for the 650's...

Some people swear with the bass mod. With the bass mod k701 and k702 will have more bass. At the same time it will introduce low frequency distorsion that I really don't want to hear in any pair of headphones. The drivers and the enclosure are not made to match the resonances that the bass mod introduces. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back