Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 9, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #28,756 of 46,565
  Tube amps have an unfortunate phenotype of being "thick" in sound. Not true at all. There are some that are very transparent without being excessively lean or cloudy in the highs, and that have very good bass. Also, rollin' the tubes can adjust the SQ to one's preferences. My WA6 does a terrific job with 650, and I have no reservations about this amp's musicality and ability to reveal the essentials of a track.

Agreed.  Tube amps can vary widely in sound depending on the tubes used.  A classic example is my Pan Am amp.  Telefunkens and Mullards give you that "thick" dark sound while Hytrons (my personal favorite by the way) have a very neutral clean sound signature much like my Burson conductor SS amp. 

Sep 9, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #28,757 of 46,565

Agreed.  Tube amps can vary widely in sound depending on the tubes used.  A classic example is my Pan Am amp.  Telefunkens and Mullards give you that "thick" dark sound while Hytrons (my personal favorite by the way) have a very neutral clean sound signature much like my Burson conductor SS amp. 

With 650, I personally prefer a cleaner SS-like profile with a tube amp. Helps balance the somewhat bass-centric profile of the 650 with the kind of music that I listen to. 
wink.gif

Sep 9, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #28,761 of 46,565
  it just costs soo much to try out. i wish i had a place where i could go and audition that kind of a gear.

HP meet near you?

I find Polaris gives me excellent tube-like SQ with SS slam, at reasonable $$. Matches very well with 650.

Sep 9, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #28,762 of 46,565
WA6 isn't my favorite pairing either.  My love for the hd650 comes from their ability to show the microdetails through their adherent "dark" sound signature.  The WA6 was too "dark" and punchy for me.  I also prefer SS amps with the hd650.  My current favorite is the Theorem 720. 

Sep 9, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #28,764 of 46,565
Hi all!

I have a question: I plan on purchasing the hd650's sometime soon. However, I am considering holding off until maybe Black Friday or maybe the Christmas holiday, just in case there are any rare deals during those time periods.

Does anyone know through experience or otherwise, whether or not there should be any reduction in price for the hd650's during the Black Friday and Christmas holidays?

Sep 9, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #28,765 of 46,565
  You have and incredible good taste. I'll read it in detail at night, it looks very interesting to add some to my library, although my ears cannot listen some romantic and post-romantic composers yet. Thanks for sharing.

My pleasure, and thanks for the compliment.
Everybody has good taste, if they enjoy their music fully.
beerchug.gif

Sep 9, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #28,766 of 46,565
Just chiming in.
After half a year of usage, various amp and cable pairing, i have come to the conclusion that this headphone is the best headphone.
Back when i got so hyped about audio, i was disappointed that the HD800 is not the headphones of my dreams, but this guy.... this guy is so perfect, flawless. (well maybe not).
Even if i were the king of earth, i will probably still be amazed by the sound of this headphone.

Kinda sad actually, people spend so much money buying audio equipments based on hyped, when all you need is just an HD650, and an AMP+DAC that suits your need.

Sep 9, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #28,767 of 46,565
Sep 9, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #28,769 of 46,565

My simple experience with my Sennheiser HD-650

What I was told to expect:

What I hear whenever I put them on:

VS

What I'm told to expect with most products:

And what I get:

I think that says it all....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back