Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jun 10, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #25,906 of 46,499
  This thread never seems to slow down. Just got caught up. Still loving Gustard h10 and hd650 but it doesn't get much time since getting the Ether. In fact the Ether loves the h10 also. Very versatile amp for sure. 

Quick impressions on the Ether wouldn't go amiss :)

Jun 10, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #25,907 of 46,499
Just outta curiosity, DOES anyone in here have the DACPort? It's seeming like a serious winner but I'm wondering who's tried it. 

Jun 10, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #25,909 of 46,499
  This should do...

http://www.head-fi.org/products/mrspeakers-ether-planar-magnetic-headphones/reviews/13327

A stellar review - I like how you discussed pairings as well. The k.d. lang test for mids is a great reference! Thanks for that Matt.

Jun 11, 2015 at 5:18 AM Post #25,910 of 46,499
Great review, Matt.

It sure sounds like a wonderful pair of headphones, to say the least.

Jun 11, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #25,911 of 46,499
  This should do...

http://www.head-fi.org/products/mrspeakers-ether-planar-magnetic-headphones/reviews/13327

Sacrilege!

smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 11, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #25,914 of 46,499
  ^^ 650 and Crack is still one of the best combo/pairing ever. Makes beautiful music for sure...

It's amazing how many folks hit this combo (or the 650's with any other OTL amp) and wander away from it only to return.

I'm on a sojourn into some other sounds right now, but the Crack/650 is going nowhere. A lesson learned at others' expense I guess. One reason these forums are so useful....

Jun 11, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #25,915 of 46,499
There do seem to be some "standard" combos out there. 650 and a Crack, Audeze and a Schiit stack. Personally, I'm just done with big table-top rigs. The audio interface is purely USB powered, even if it's not optimal, so I can still use it with my laptop sitting on a couch. Hence my eyes on that DACport or something like it. 

Jun 11, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #25,916 of 46,499
  There do seem to be some "standard" combos out there. 650 and a Crack, Audeze and a Schiit stack. Personally, I'm just done with big table-top rigs. The audio interface is purely USB powered, even if it's not optimal, so I can still use it with my laptop sitting on a couch. Hence my eyes on that DACport or something like it. 

Why not go with a DAP? Or a really long extension cable back to the desktop.

Also, love the looks of the Parrot Zik! Very classy and unique.

Jun 11, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #25,917 of 46,499

I liked the ALO Island more then the DACport, with the HD650s.  I don't know how to explain it, but it just felt like the ALO was pushing more current at the headphones.  But in the end, bigger rigs are best for the HD650.  By bigger, I mean amps that require wall power...

Also, have you ever listened to any of the headphone outs from Apogee devices.  I'm guess you do some recording, from what you use now.  And the Apogee interfaces are top notch, and the headphone outs are not too shabby.

Jun 11, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #25,918 of 46,499
  Why not go with a DAP? Or a really long extension cable back to the desktop.

Also, love the looks of the Parrot Zik! Very classy and unique.

Being a person that's from a product design background. I was conditioned to hate everything that philippe starck (yes low caps) scribbles out of his sharpie.

But the Parrot Zik may just be that only one exception... I still dislike that French designer though.

Jun 11, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #25,919 of 46,499

Being a person that's from a product design background. I was conditioned to hate everything that philippe starck (yes low caps) scribbles out of his sharpie.

But the Parrot Zik may just be that only one exception... I still dislike that French designer though.

Making me glad that's all I've seen by him lol. And if capital letters are no good for him, well! 
blink.gif
 I guess changing your name to a symbol has been done lmao.

But I do think those look stunning.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back