Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jun 3, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #25,786 of 46,499
Boz Scaggs, Tower of Power, Chuck Mangione (great make out stuff), EW&F, Heatwave, PassPort, Chicago, Stones, Bob James, Lighthouse, Moody Blues, Seawind, Pablo Cruise, America, Pink Floyd, Doobie Brothers, Eagles, Santana, Spyro Gyra, (sorry really buzzed right now) these were some of the better stuff that I can remember from the late 70's to early 80's that I still listen to today,  My girlfriend who is 10yrs younger also likes these groups from way back when.
I think these are better recordings than most of the new pop stuff currently be put out, as I said the Beyoncé album was really bad, had to use Audacity to get it to stop clipping on the majority of the song and also with Bruno Mars albums.  I love the music but the recording are so bad that unless I do some major editing I can listen to them.

Jun 3, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #25,787 of 46,499
Is it just me or is SHM-CD about the only company putting out quality stuff anymore? In the past we had MSFL (Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs, dark and maybe a bit too low-level) and the Living Stereo labels (mostly older classical, jazz, very good ambient levels).

Now it's all compression, clipping and "wall-of-sound". The Lumineers recent recording was a breath of fresh air if only because it doesn't sound intensely over-produced....

Jun 3, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #25,788 of 46,499
  Is it just me or is SHM-CD about the only company putting out quality stuff anymore? In the past we had MSFL (Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs, dark and maybe a bit too low-level) and the Living Stereo labels (mostly older classical, jazz, very good ambient levels).

Now it's all compression, clipping and "wall-of-sound". The Lumineers recent recording was a breath of fresh air if only because it doesn't sound intensely over-produced....

SHM-CD is a physical format, not a studio or a label. I've been buying remastered versions of older releases from CD Japan, where they do seem to care about sound quality; they will often publish on SHM-CD (and charge a premium for it) with the pitch that it's a better optical format (still Redbook, of course, but supposedly reads with fewer errors).

Jun 3, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #25,789 of 46,499

SHM-CD is a physical format, not a studio or a label. I've been buying remastered versions of older releases from CD Japan, where they do seem to care about sound quality; they will often publish on SHM-CD (and charge a premium for it) with the pitch that it's a better optical format (still Redbook, of course, but supposedly reads with fewer errors).

My misunderstanding - thanks for the correction Krutsch. I've been assuming it was a label as so many good remasters seem to be coming out from Japan on these discs. Turns out after some google-foo it's just a reference to the disc composite material for both Redbook and SACD discs. It seemed from afar that they were a label dedicated to remastering old analog tapes, and most of what I've heard on them has been a step above.

Jun 3, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #25,790 of 46,499
EyuiOL-8ff.jpg
  Boz Scaggs, Tower of Power, Chuck Mangione (great make out stuff), EW&F, Heatwave, PassPort, Chicago, Stones, Bob James, Lighthouse, Moody Blues, Seawind, Pablo Cruise, America, Pink Floyd, Doobie Brothers, Eagles, Santana, Spyro Gyra, (sorry really buzzed right now) these were some of the better stuff that I can remember from the late 70's to early 80's that I still listen to today,  My girlfriend who is 10yrs younger also likes these groups from way back when.
I think these are better recordings than most of the new pop stuff currently be put out, as I said the Beyoncé album was really bad, had to use Audacity to get it to stop clipping on the majority of the song and also with Bruno Mars albums.  I love the music but the recording are so bad that unless I do some major editing I can listen to them.

The big difference is that they where musicians/artists ... I don't know how to call them nowdays ...

Jun 3, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #25,791 of 46,499

Yep......+1

Jun 3, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #25,792 of 46,499

As for Russian Circles, what can I say? I have everything by them but the track you've highlighted here is probably my own favourite too. Aural fireworks. I have a copy of it in the car so that I can impress the ladies (not really, I'm 50). I have twin Alpine subs in the boot (trunk) driven with over 800W and the slam in this tune is truly jaw-dropping!

They remind me of early Tool but without Maynards vocals. Harper Lewis is also my favorite song and I have an unabashed man crush on their drummer. As a drummer myself, when I hear this song my breathing gets short and my pupils dilate, massive amounts of endorphins flood my blood stream and I drown in a sea of textures and sounds and rhythms I never thought I would hear from a drumkit.

Their drummer is what that band is for me. Someone says Rolling Stones and people think Mick Jagger or Keith Richards. I hear Russian Circles, and it's that awesome drummer and those two other guys. ^_^

Jun 3, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #25,793 of 46,499
Yeah agreed. It's more than just the drumming though. The way the drums are mic'd is unlike anything else I've heard. Crystal clear, as though they're in the same room. Awesome!

Jun 3, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #25,794 of 46,499
Yeah agreed. It's more than just the drumming though. The way the drums are mic'd is unlike anything else I've heard. Crystal clear, as though they're in the same room. Awesome!

It comes across really well on the HD650's too. I like the attack and the cymbal noise on my HE400's but the bass and power of the 650's works well for Harper Lewis. I love the guy uses the entire kit, even the cymbal hardware, as an instrument. I have experimented with drumming on my hardware, or hitting my cymbals edge on to make them ring like a bell, combining stick sounds like rim shots, with the beater head sounds, but that guy does it effortlessly and in innovative ways. I mean there are only so many ways you can beat a drum, and he actually managed to find a fresh way to do it. Some of it is the way he tunes his heads. Like his snare and toms just sound epic. I have a very good ear, but I still can't get my drums to sound even half that good.

I used to jam to Harper Lewis in my car too, 800 watts of Sony into 2 12's sealed (not ported). No boot though (aloominum not alu mini um hehe). My new car doesn't have the hook ups for after market subs so I'm stuck with Ford's "premium" Sony audio. It's laughable but better than nothing I guess.

Jun 4, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #25,795 of 46,499
Hey guys, how often to replace the pads? and does anyone have any experience with these? http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Sennheiser-Headphone-Cushion-Earpads/dp/B00TGCDG90/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_img_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1NV58AAJNGBPVKXTG9CS

Jun 4, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #25,796 of 46,499
@kmitschiener, the foam pads in your link are not as deep as the original ones, which would likely reduce the soundstage by a smidget. They also appear to have a pleather back on them, which would (in my guess anyway) alter the SQ in some way poss. good or bad by absorbing less frequencies than velour material does. I would recommend to usually buy replacement pads that were manufactured by the same company as your headphones, unless you've already tried or read about those specific pads to be a good pair with your headphones.

On the other hand (as long as you can find a way to remove the HD 600 / 650 pads???), these can be hand washed to make about as good as new again: swish them against each other in a bowl of warm water & detergent for several minutes, wring (but don't twist), hang to drip-dry, then optionally remove lint with a lint-roller or with tape.

Jun 4, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #25,797 of 46,499
  @kmitschiener, the foam pads in your link are not as deep as the original ones, which would likely reduce the soundstage by a smidget. They also appear to have a pleather back on them, which would (in my guess anyway) alter the SQ in some way poss. good or bad by absorbing less frequencies than velour material does. I would recommend to usually buy replacement pads that were manufactured by the same company as your headphones, unless you've already tried or read about those specific pads to be a good pair with your headphones.

On the other hand (as long as you can find a way to remove the HD 600 / 650 pads???), these can be hand washed to make about as good as new again: swish them against each other in a bowl of warm water & detergent for several minutes, wring (but don't twist), hang to drip-dry, then optionally remove lint with a lint-roller or with tape.

The foam pads can be removed by pulling on the pads, they're attached to a plastic ring which just grips/clips onto the headphone cups.

They are just as easily placed back in, just push them in on all "corners", and you should hear/feel a click on each of those corners.

Jun 4, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #25,799 of 46,499
This album sounds great on these cans.

16/44 flac

PS Audio Nuwave  >  MadEar+HD  > HD650

Users who are viewing this thread

Back