Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jun 1, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #25,742 of 46,499
  Does it have a St Andrews fault?

If you mean San Andreas fault then yes, but they call it Hadrians Wall lol. Although some of the lochs connect right across and look a lot like a fault line.....

Jun 1, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #25,745 of 46,499
San Andreas is Spanish for Saint Andrew and Hadrian's wall isn't a split in the Earth's crust. :p

gracias a mi amigo por la división en la tierra - got the humour in it 
dt880smile.png

Jun 1, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #25,746 of 46,499
OMG - look at this thing: iFi Retro Stereo

7W headphone out, all formats, streaming, BT, speaker amp, tube-hybrid. Wow.

Jun 2, 2015 at 6:56 AM Post #25,748 of 46,499
Jun 2, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #25,750 of 46,499
Heard the HD-650's fed from Yggdrasil->Bottlehead Mainline at a meet Sunday. Extremely detailed with a nice, organic tone. I swapped in my WA2 and it was very close, but a touch flatter sounding. Yggy+BHM is the best I've ever heard the 650's. Too bad the BHM looks like a science project. If it was in a listening room and not my living room, I'd trade in my WA2 for it. It also fed LCD's nicely.

The BHC didn't show, so didn't get a chance to compare it with the Mainline and WA2. I should also mention that the HD-800's modded sound 1000% better than stock. The stock ones lasted 15 seconds on my ears before the treble was intolerable. The modded ones were an absolute thrill.

Jun 2, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #25,754 of 46,499
They are relatively cheap flagship headphones compared to Audeze, HiFiMan, Stax, etc. The mod is for people who have fatigue/treble issues, and doesn't really take away from anything the headphones do properly, which is pinpoint imaging and extremely detailed presentation. If you look at the amount of energy the stock 800's put into the treble region, the mod does a superb job of slightly reducing the energy in a uniform fashion.

Jun 2, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #25,755 of 46,499

I think it's lovely & if I could afford it I'd have it. Just because.

Me too - that is a work of art and a swiss-army knife all at once. Top-quality parts too by the sound of it.

Heard the HD-650's fed from Yggdrasil->Bottlehead Mainline at a meet Sunday. Extremely detailed with a nice, organic tone. I swapped in my WA2 and it was very close, but a touch flatter sounding. Yggy+BHM is the best I've ever heard the 650's. Too bad the BHM looks like a science project. If it was in a listening room and not my living room, I'd trade in my WA2 for it. It also fed LCD's nicely.

The BHC didn't show, so didn't get a chance to compare it with the Mainline and WA2. I should also mention that the HD-800's modded sound 1000% better than stock. The stock ones lasted 15 seconds on my ears before the treble was intolerable. The modded ones were an absolute thrill.

The Mainline sounds like it deserves to be TOTL - by all accounts incredible detail. Hope to build one this winter. Matched up with a TOTL Yggy would be a very interesting combo. Lucky to have heard the pairing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back