Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 16, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #25,246 of 46,514
Hehe. Like I guessed she figured it out within five minutes, so I had to tell her. I promised to give it a long break now, after explaining the exact place these phlnes has in my setup (which it really does, since I'm and audio/musician hobbyist), and then I massaged her feet. Mercy was given, and all is good.

Been listening to my 650's and Townes Van Zandt while paying for my sins and... Bliss
wink.gif

Sounds like a keeper!

May 16, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #25,249 of 46,514
Hehe. Or you will become like those pointy nosed guys in spy vs spy, her trying to steal your 650's while you keep laying deadly traps for her.

Loreena McKinnet - The mystic's dream, now. Literally goose bumps. :heart_eyes:

Edit: Am I imagining things when I feel that the level of bass has increased after just a few hours of usage?

Edit2: I'm beginning to realize these hp's arent very forgiving, when listening to bad mixes. Not as brutal as my ps1000's, but not exactly Mary Poppins either.

May 16, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #25,250 of 46,514
Prolly the most forgiving of the good cans though...

May 16, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #25,251 of 46,514
Hehe. Or you will become like those pointy nosed guys in spy vs spy, her trying to steal your 650's while you keep laying deadly traps for her.

Loreena McKinnet - The mystic's dream, now. Literally goose bumps. :heart_eyes:

Edit: Am I imagining things when I feel that the level of bass has increased after just a few hours of usage?

Edit2: I'm beginning to realize these hp's arent very forgiving, when listening to bad mixes. Not as brutal as my ps1000's, but not exactly Mary Poppins either.

The HD-650 are fairly forgiving IMO compared to my HD-700/800, HE=560/400i and RS2e/SennGrado.
Prolly the most forgiving of the good cans though...

+1

May 16, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #25,252 of 46,514
Yeah, I'm not saying they are extremely punishing, but in some mixes I kind of liked before, I felt I had glass shards put in my ears, due to badly balanced mid frequencies. That is a good thing in mybook, as I will use the 650's when mixing my (and others) music. This, to a larger extent, also goes for my PS1000's. In other words; punishing = good.

May 16, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #25,253 of 46,514
Yeah, I'm not saying they are extremely punishing, but in some mixes I kind of liked before, I felt I had glass shards put in my ears, due to badly balanced mid frequencies. That is a good thing in mybook, as I will use the 650's when mixing my (and others) music. This, to a larger extent, also goes for my PS1000's. In other words; punishing = good.

Understand your point, have a great weekend.

May 16, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #25,255 of 46,514

Haven't heard the Ps1000... Can u give a brief compare when u are ready, no hurry.

May 16, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #25,256 of 46,514
Hehe. Like I guessed she figured it out within five minutes, so I had to tell her. I promised to give it a long break now, after explaining the exact place these phlnes has in my setup (which it really does, since I'm and audio/musician hobbyist), and then I massaged her feet. Mercy was given, and all is good.

Been listening to my 650's and Townes Van Zandt while paying for my sins and... Bliss
wink.gif

I take things out of their boxes before bringing anything inside. For headphones, they go into my laptop backpack and I use this line: "Oh...I've had these forever, I've been using them at work and decided to swap stuff around."

I promised to give it a long break now

...that's a good one, too; just make sure you don't start believing your own fairy tales. 
popcorn.gif

May 16, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #25,257 of 46,514

I'll just mention the Woo WA3 OTL.  I have personally had better listening experiences with this OTL then the Crack.  I know tube rolling makes a huge difference, but I just want you to be aware of options if you don't have the DIY bug...

+1 ... I've listened to a few BH cracks at meets and it does sound nice, but I think the Woo WA3 beats it handily with the HD-650; especially with the right tubes 
cool.gif

I've never typed that in, because the Bottlehead Mafia is pretty relentless.
Woo Forever! Bring it, Crackheads 
beerchug.gif

May 16, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #25,258 of 46,514
Okay guys, as promised I tested the modi 2 uber on another PC and I recorded it's output along with the output of the musicstreamer ii plus and uploaded them as FLAC 24/96 for comparison. I put up a thread about it in the DAC section and we should continue the discussion in that thread so as not to derail the HD650 thread. The reason I posted here in the first place is because it was part of a combination of components trying to get the most out of the HD650 and my opinion was that it doesn't work well with these headphones and that amp, which a lot of 650 owners use.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/766815/comparison-flac-recordings-of-modi-2-uber-soundblaster-e5-and-musicstreamer-ii-plus

May 16, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #25,259 of 46,514

+1 ... I've listened to a few BH cracks at meets and it does sound nice, but I think the Woo WA3 beats it handily with the HD-650; especially with the right tubes 
cool.gif

I've never typed that in, because the Bottlehead Mafia is pretty relentless.
Woo Forever! Bring it, Crackheads 
beerchug.gif

I'd fight you but my cords too short, I can't unplug and I'm drooling 
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back