Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 10, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #25,021 of 46,504

I honestly haven't spent enough time with the LCD-3's to get them to the level of pure satisfaction I get with the 650's with the right songs/genres, but I suspect as you both mentioned that their speed will make them better suited across the board... Whether they are better suited for acoustic guitar/vocals/whatever sounds beautiful with the 650's remains to be heard.

Actually, my LCD-2 does very well with small-scale acoustics/vocals. Fantastic. I see them as the Progeny of the 650. Seriously. A descendant. A bit like how modern birds are progeny of ancient reptiles, to stretch a metaphor.
bigsmile_face.gif

May 10, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #25,024 of 46,504
There was a rumor on another thread that Senn may be coming out with a closed back that is uber-high end, like a 700 or 650.

If sennheiser makes a closed back that they claim is near the sig of the 650 I would go as far as blind buying it being said I cannot stand the momentums. But maybe I just don't like on ears as I also thought the p7s were horrible as well :/

May 10, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #25,025 of 46,504
I know this question has came up but is there a closed back,at any price that sounds like the 650. I absolutely love the 650 but need a can that doesn't leak much sound out.

The DT150 has the 650's signature in the midrange, deeper bass and a touch cleaner treble. It is ugly and utilitarian, but if you do not plan to use it outdoors, it is exactly what you seek.

May 11, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #25,026 of 46,504
I know this question has came up but is there a closed back,at any price that sounds like the 650. I absolutely love the 650 but need a can that doesn't leak much sound out.

Take a look at the Focal Spirit Classic.

May 11, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #25,029 of 46,504
Great...I'll hold on my wallet and look forward to those...actually I've been eyeing audeze EL-8...I really need a decent cans to be used in library...

A good closed back headphone option could be the Alpha Dogs. However I am interested in the closed back headphone, Sennheiser is bringing out sometime.

May 11, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #25,030 of 46,504
I've tried the Hifiman HE 400 at a meet last year and by memory they are very 'thin' sounding without too much body/weight especially in the bass, recessed mids and finicky treble... but that's just my impressions - and those cans never got any love all day with all the other head-fi'ers and flagship headphones. The HE-6 is a whole galaxy better!!!!!! 
gs1000.gif
  And that will be my sure-shot replacement for the 650, once I come across an extra $ grand-ish

May 11, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #25,031 of 46,504
I saw a video that compared a headphone (cant remember), a denon, the Hifiman HE-400 and the Sennheiser HD 650. The reviewer picked the HE-400 over everything else. Has anyone here listened to both headphones raw and with an amp? How would you compare the two? I know this is the Sennheiser thread but try not to be too biased, just as honest as possible.

I have both and did a comparison a while back. Search my posts for HE-400 vs HD-650. It's in this thread and on a standalone thread of that name (although I'm not the OP on that thread).

I've had lots of time with both now and haven't changed my opinion. The HE-400 did not win but it has its merits. YMMV etc.

Edit: neither will be stisfactory un-amped IMHO. There's many who will tell you otherwise, especially at the start of the HE-400 impressions thread, and this would have got me flamed if I posted it within the first 100 pages of that thread, but both have very specific power requirements. To give them less is a setup for a fail. Better to get an amp or a truly sensitive and low-impedance can meant for unamped operation if that's the goal.

May 11, 2015 at 5:42 AM Post #25,032 of 46,504
I have both and did a comparison a while back. Search my posts for HE-400 vs HD-650. It's in this thread and on a standalone thread of that name (although I'm not the OP on that thread).

I've had lots of time with both now and haven't changed my opinion. The HE-400 did not win but it has its merits. YMMV etc.

Edit: neither will be stisfactory un-amped IMHO. There's many who will tell you otherwise, especially at the start of the HE-400 impressions thread, and this would have got me flamed if I posted it within the first 100 pages of that thread, but both have very specific power requirements. To give them less is a setup for a fail. Better to get an amp or a truly sensitive and low-impedance can meant for unamped operation if that's the goal.

100% agree.

I also have both. HE-400 has very different power requirements than the HD650 and only a few amps can pull of both well. Lyr2, H10, Cavalli Liquid etc. the HE-400 needs lots of power and voltage at low Ohms and the HD650 needs lots of that up in the 300 Ohm range due to their specific impedance. 

Both of them scale with the amps, the better the amp, the better they sound (as a rule of thumb)...

If I would need to decide between the two and could only keep one: I would keep the HD650.

Cheers,
K

May 11, 2015 at 5:43 AM Post #25,033 of 46,504
I have both and did a comparison a while back. Search my posts for HE-400 vs HD-650. It's in this thread and on a standalone thread of that name (although I'm not the OP on that thread.

Agree with you about the HD-650 and HE-400, if anything they make a good compliment to each other but if I could keep only one it would be the HD-650, more so if you keep the HE-400 stock, with all the mods I've done to the HE-400 it becomes a toss-up with the HD-650.  I've done the grill mod, changed the pads to velour or Focus depending on my mood, installed the metal ring so that the Focus pads don't rotate, made a rubber/neoprene gasket to seal the metal ring and made a custom head pad to make it way more comfortable, YMMV with this.

May 11, 2015 at 5:44 AM Post #25,034 of 46,504

Agree with you about the HD-650 and HE-400, if anything they make a good compliment to each other but if I could keep only one it would be the HD-650, more so if you keep the HE-400 stock, with all the mods I've done to the HE-400 it becomes a toss-up with the HD-650.  I've done the grill mod, changed the pads to velour or Focus depending on my mood, installed the metal ring so that the Focus pads don't rotate, made a rubber/neoprene gasket to seal the metal ring and made a custom head pad to make it way more comfortable, YMMV with this.

Haha, same here - posted at the same time. Grill mod, Focus Pads (yet to do the metal ring and rubber gasket....)

Cheers,
K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back