Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 9, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #24,946 of 46,499

I can understand not wanting to use a portable amp but i just don't want to be tethered to my computer.

Honestly the E12 will do it and sound good. $1000 good or OTL tube good? No, but it can really rock them. The boosted voltage is to me the difference. Most portable devices are limited to the USB voltage x 2 (or less). The E12 will swing a whole lot wider, with power to spare. We sometimes want to throw state-of-the-art at the 650's needs, but I can say first-hand that the E12 packs past it's paltry price. PPiPP.

Even the Fiio X3 has plenty of power to push the HD650 as loud as anyone could want it. Unless you want to go crazy, crazy loud, the HD650 only needs around 20mw to get to 110db. At 80mW on a 300 ohm load, the E12 has plenty of juice. 

May 9, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #24,947 of 46,499

Even the Fiio X3 has plenty of power to push the HD650 as loud as anyone could want it. Unless you want to go crazy, crazy loud, the HD650 only needs around 20mw to get to 110db. At 80mW on a 300 ohm load, the E12 has plenty of juice. 

Agree. In High Gain it's almost too much as the pot can only swing max 40% before you're doing serious damage to your ears (and in time the drivers). If you want portable at what, USD$130?, go for it.

Not sure on the Crack's output but on my SEX (333mW per channel @ 300ohms) I put it up a bit and literally the cups were bouncing on my head lol. I mean literally. I'm quite amazed I didn't fry them in that 10sec or so. Guess I can't sell them "never abused" 
basshead.gif

Alcohol may have been a factor.

May 9, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #24,948 of 46,499
Anyone know how the 650s compare to the Philips Fidelio X2? Someone recommended them to me over the HD 650s.

May 9, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #24,949 of 46,499
Guys I'm having a little trouble with my new Modi 2 uber setup and the 650's. The sound is very thick and rather than being more transparent, it's sounding muddled and excessivly warm. The SoundBlaster E5 into the Lyr2 on the 650's sounded great but it has a few rough edges that made me go for the Modi. Now I'm wondering if it was the right decision. Is anyone else using the Modi2 and Lyr combo with the 650 and do you notice the same things?

The Modi's use USB power. That is why I suggested the Wyrd... The DAC thread here has discussions regarding how this sounds vs using regular USB power.

FWIW, I find my Modi sounds fairly good without a Wyrd. The soundstage is noticeably wider/easier to pinpoint instruments vs. my Realtek 24/192 sound card. I imagine the USB power is the issue... You may also try a hub perhaps, or adjusting USB power settings.

May 9, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #24,950 of 46,499
  Anyone know how the 650s compare to the Philips Fidelio X2? Someone recommended them to me over the HD 650s.

I've not heard the X2. I can answer though that the X2 takes much less power to drive efficiently, so you don't need a quality amp. 

In this article http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/boss-philips-fidelio-x2, Tyll compares the X2 and HD600. The HD600 are very similar to the HD650 but the HD650 has less vibrant treble and more bass, if that helps. 

May 9, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #24,951 of 46,499
Man they really stick it to you on their "money back guarantee" 15% restocking, on top of the shipping you had to pay, and you have to pay to ship it back. I might be better off putting it on craigslist.

I think I know part of the problem. I've been comparing the specs and the DAC chip they have in the Modi is decent, same class as the E5, but it outputs 1.5vrms. All of the DAC's people seem to rave about have 2 to 2.5vrms out. I suspect that the Modi is under-driving the preamp on the Lyr leading to mud. I can't find the specs on the E5's line out voltage but hot swapping using WASPI push at max volume, the Soundblaster is louder than the Modi. If I had to guess I'd say it's 2vrms to the Modi 2 ubers 1.5. This puts it on par with the Bitfrost.

I think I'm going to just have to bite the bullet on this and buy another DAC, I didn't spend half a grand on an amp to have the DAC make it sound like poo.

I'm thinking to get the musicstreamer ii plus. I've seen several recommendations around the board and I remember looking at those before I bought my Audioengine and hearing good things. It's $250, asynch, outputs 2.5vrms and has an isolated analog stage to keep usb noise out of the signal path. What do you guys think? I admit I dind't research Modi 2 reviews much before buying. It was only $150 and at half the price I was impressed heavily by their Fulla.

May 9, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #24,952 of 46,499
I own an original Modi, used in a non-critical application, and it sounds like mud. Not at all transparent, congested, undynamic, and lacking extension at the frequency extremes. Virtually no bass weight, no real sense of depth or space. If it weren't for the O2, the Modi would be the worst sounding component I've heard that was aimed at an audiophile audience.

Try connecting a Wyrd to the Modi 1 DAC - it cleans the USB signal up enough to make it sound just as good as the Modi 2 - for me, it improved the DAC enough for me to dust it off and use it again. (This works to enhance most all DACs as well)

Also I wanted to ask if the Schiit Lyr 2 is good with the HD 650? From it's high output level, it seems this amp would be able to drive most any headphones well. Except maybe not so much the 600 ohm ones.

Also I just wanted to mention - all this talk of recommendations for budget amps that drive the HD 650 well, but no mention of tube amps? There are actually some fairly decent starter tube amps for about $100 - $300, and you guys are the ones who sold me on how well the 650's perform with tube amps.

May 9, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #24,953 of 46,499
Both Modis use same everything.  Input things, DAC chips and output things.

Modi
Input Receiver: 
USB: C-Media CM6631A
D/A Conversion IC: AKM4396
Analog Summing, Active Filtering: Based on AD8616 with precision thin-film resistors and film capacitors

Modi2
Input Receiver: 
USB: C-Media CM6631A
D/A Conversion IC: AKM4396
Analog Summing, Active Filtering: Based on AD8616 with precision thin-film resistors and film capacitors

Sorry, kind crappy copy paste.

May 9, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #24,954 of 46,499
Also I just wanted to mention - all this talk of recommendations for budget amps that drive the HD 650 well, but no mention of tube amps? There are actually some fairly decent starter tube amps for about $100 - $300, and you guys are the ones who sold me on how well the 650's perform with tube amps.

There has been a huge ongoing discussion regarding tube and ss amping of the 650's. Check the thread history re: Ember, BHC, WA2/3, Little dot, etc.

May 9, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #24,955 of 46,499

There has been a huge ongoing discussion regarding tube and ss amping of the 650's. Check the thread history re: Ember, BHC, WA2/3, Little dot, etc.

If you took everything in this thread as gospel the HD650 will only produce sound from a tube amp. Solid state heathens are burnt at the stake with their inadequate components. :popcorn:

May 9, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #24,959 of 46,499
Hello @Kodhifi, you mentioned about wanting to get the MusicStreamer II. Well I feel I would be doing a dis-service to not mention the new Geek Out version 2. You can read about it on this thread. (my post in the middle of the page, keep reading the next 2 pages - it gets good.) It has portable and balanced options, selectable filter modes, and was the first DAC that was able to garner unanimous support from about 3 reputable head-fi'ers who tried it. Now there's also the Geek Out 2+ battery powered DAC/amp

May 9, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #24,960 of 46,499

Different sound signatures. Almost like comparing comfy slippers (HD650's) to all purporse flip flops (X2).

Some people claim that the X2 sounds pretty artificial on the highs. Some claim that it is bass heavy (insert song joke). And some like to compare it to the HD650 and say that it is better than the headphone in certain aspects.

But note: if it (the X2) really is better than the HD650's in all aspects, then the reviewers wouldn't still have the HD650's sitting in their inventory.

It's also not like the HD650's are hard to sell here in Head-Fi.

However, as a first headphone I cannot imagine either being a bad choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back