Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 10, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #24,976 of 46,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodhifi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... When something is sold as "A mini bitfrost" and you pay a $50 premium for a better analog stage, you kind of, well you know, expect a better output.

Actually for the "$50 premium" you get - "a more sophisticated analog section", Toslink and RCA inputs, an Aluminium case and a wall wart to power the non-USB circuitry.

to learn something about their business model see
Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

May 10, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #24,977 of 46,520
Not to nitpick, but...
Quote:
  Well lets see. The msrp is $150, Schiit sells directly on Amazon for $179 plus shipping which is a pretty high mark up for no particular reason. However if I had ordered it from Amazon and paid Schiits 30 dollar premium plus shipping, and when it arrived it sounded like mud, all I'd have to do is say "Hey Amazon, this sounds like crap. " and I'd have a prepaid return label, no restocking fee, and a much more convenient return. So yes, I think Schiit's 15 day guarantee is kind of a joke, considering every other retailer out there has 30 day no questions asked returns and the majority do not charge shipping or restocking fees. 

If you buy from Amazon, you pay Amazon $29 more right from the start, and are able to return it without extra fees. This may be the particular reason that you're paying the extra $29.

If you buy from Schiit, you save the $29, but only pay Schiit $22.50 (the 15% restocking fee) if you want to return it.

May 10, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #24,978 of 46,520

If you buy from Amazon, you pay Amazon $29 more right from the start, and are able to return it without extra fees. This may be the particular reason that you're paying the extra $29.

If you buy from Schiit, you save the $29, but only pay Schiit $22.50 (the 15% restocking fee) if you want to return it.

Jason Stoddard had a *VERY INTERESTING* write-up on all of this in one of his "Schitt Stories" fairly recently.

May 10, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #24,979 of 46,520
  Actually for the "$50 premium" you get - "a more sophisticated analog section", Toslink and RCA inputs, an Aluminium case and a wall wart to power the non-USB circuitry.

Indeed. It's actually the reason I went for the uber - to have the COAX and optical inputs. The added external power supply and brushed aluminum case are the icing on the cake.

And I have yet to hear any "mud" from the modi2uber - I have a few DACs the CEntrance DACMini CX, the Aune T1, icon HDP, and of course the DACs in the AK100, X5, etc. not so sure how you can hear "mud"....

Cheers,
K

May 10, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #24,980 of 46,520

Plus the shipping to Schiit....

May 10, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #24,981 of 46,520
  It almost sounds like you're saying if it's under $250 expect poo but that can't be right can it?

The E5 was only $199 and from a company that is the laughing stock of the audiophile world and yet it has a superior Lineout and DAC performance than a dedicated 'audiophile' dac. I'm sorry if I"m a little snippy in my response but when you pass judgement and defend a companies products and policies while stating "I don't own anything from Schiit audio" it pushes my buttons.

I didn't say anything like that and I don't believe that only expensive is good.

On the second item, I didn't comment on the sound or quality, which is NOT fair game if you don't own one; I commented on their return policies, which are clearly documented on their web site.

I offered my $0.02 because, well, you asked.

EDIT: typo.

May 10, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #24,983 of 46,520
We must all return to what was once a discussion about pairing the HD650's with the O2/ODAC stack and say that it's all A-OK because that set-up allows us to listen to the headphones as they are.

But our topics are rather seasonal, and boy do we have many short seasons!

May 10, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #24,984 of 46,520
Really... I would like to hear the O2/ODAC with the 650's. If that is A-OK, I guess I can toss my WA2 :p
Joking aside, I actually wanted to apologize for suggesting the HD-650's have a lot of distortion. After looking at Purrins CSD waterfall on these, I definitely stand corrected.

I also agree with some comments about the 650's ability to present micro details. I have yet to hear the level of micro details they offer on my LCD-3f's. Still trying different amps for the LCD's, but worth mentioning.

May 10, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #24,985 of 46,520
Really... I would like to hear the O2/ODAC with the 650's. If that is A-OK, I guess I can toss my WA2 :p
Joking aside, I actually wanted to apologize for suggesting the HD-650's have a lot of distortion. After looking at Purrins CSD waterfall on these, I definitely stand corrected.

I also agree with some comments about the 650's ability to present micro details. I have yet to hear the level of micro details they offer on my LCD-3f's. Still trying different amps for the LCD's, but worth mentioning.

I know my first foray into planars revealed a ton of micro-details and texture - I can only imagine the LCD's. They tend to appear at lower volumes with that driver style than with the 650's too.

May 10, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #24,986 of 46,520
  I know my first foray into planars revealed a ton of micro-details and texture - I can only imagine the LCD's. They tend to appear at lower volumes with that driver style than with the 650's too.

I actually thought he was saying that he had yet to hear the level of micro-detail that he gets from the HD-650 with his LCD-3's (ie - HD-650 provided more micro-detail).

May 10, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #24,988 of 46,520

I actually thought he was saying that he had yet to hear the level of micro-detail that he gets from the HD-650 with his LCD-3's (ie - HD-650 provided more micro-detail).

Yeah for sure, and Damian was saying the planars should provide the same. I chalk it up to amping right now...

I'm not sure if I mis-read lol. I find I get a lot more mirco-details from the HE-400 planars than I do from my HD-650's, especially at lower volumes. At higher volumes they come out on the 650 whereas the 400 starts to distort.

I think I can chalk this up to a few variables:
- planar vs dynamic
- the Crack (and the tubes I have in it) are very smooth and the SEX is airier and more spacious with every can I've put in it, including the 650's
- the 400 has more treble energy than the 650 (almost to a fault, but it brings details out a lot)

May 10, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #24,989 of 46,520
As hard as I've tried, with 3 diff amps, I cannot say honestly that my 650 (silver drivers) provide micro-detailing on par or even close to my LCD-2.2 and PS500. No way. String texture, back-orch details, vocal inflections, woodwind key-clicking, etc etc., all are a bit murky and in the mix, with the 650. I guess the other term for it is "air". Not that the 650 is bad, I like it a lot for hen I don't want to hear all the little details. But that's not often.

May 10, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #24,990 of 46,520
  Just received this for my HE-400's. About USD$100 - all brand-name good-quality connectors and cabling. Very soft and supple. The stock is as stiff as barbed wire lol. The guy I got it from will recable anything and you can pick colours/connectors. Shipping would be based on parts delivery.
Won't comment on the sound - just got it hooked up. Besides, that way lies madness lol.

Nice cable. Where can we order one?

Hey, I made these!  And we've spoken already mikoss and your Audeze cable is in the pipe.  In the mean time heres a Audeze cable I finished late this week, although yours will be 10ft, using silver plated occ cable and balanced in preparation for the arrival of your Cavalli Liquid Carbon :) 

If anyone else is interested, feel free to PM me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back