Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 27, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #22,441 of 46,499
Female vocals are magnificent via the 650's.

in a way, ma-900 is not far behind. but it has far less resolution than hd650 of course.
i listened to the hd650 through woo audio fireflies so it's a proper setup at least. But yeah, nobody is missing out on he-400i if they're genres or preferences are vocals, especially female vocals.
Now if it's technical stuff, well.. maybe. i'd say he-400i has far more price performance ratio for anybody that lives outside the US and Canada, where price is still fixed at ~$500 and above

Jan 27, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #22,442 of 46,499
Just built a cable for my 650s :)  Carnare cable de-sleeved and paracorded, cardas HD600/650 connectors, neutrik 1/4mm jack.  Sounds great!!! I have more connectors

Jan 27, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #22,444 of 46,499
Paracord is just the sleeve :)

Jan 27, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #22,446 of 46,499
Thanks!

Jan 27, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #22,447 of 46,499
  My questions is, how do I get the cables to stick in the connector? Do i jam the cables in the sockets and give them a whack to flatten them to keep the cables in place? Or is there a better method? I'm not a DIY guy so I really have no idea... 

Solder :)

Jan 28, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #22,448 of 46,499
After a disillusion with a Grado SR-125i that I have zend back the same day I received mij HD 650 yesterday, out of the box it's already sounding way better
than the Grado on my Audio-GD NFB 28 (2015) 
beyersmile.png

Now it's waiting for the ordered Mogami W2893 cable plus plugs so I can go balanced.

Jan 28, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #22,449 of 46,499
Jan 28, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #22,450 of 46,499

Any idea how to do that without melting the plastic?

Buy solder with lead, It's works way better (faster) than without :wink:
After soldering the wires to the connectors fill the plug with hot-glue or epoxy and finis with a piece of heat shrink.

Jan 28, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #22,451 of 46,499

i can buy from like, maybe not adorama but, amazon. i can buy from amazon myself. the thing is, 40 to 45% of amazon's $350 plus the shipping cost ~$50 i think?
That's the same with buying locally. And time-wise, i gotta go to the district post office just to pay the tax.
i can't go to the nearest post office or wait home. No..... i have to go to the central post office. That is probably (definitely) is the most aggravating part of buying from abroad.

So i won't buy from abroad if it cost me the same as buying locally. haha...

i'm seriously in the middle of thinking whether i should just getting the hd600 instead (can't buy locally, gotta be from abroad).
But i really can't stand the fake granite design. Not aesthetically speaking, but psychologically speaking.

i don't know what to do.
the 5 minutes i spent listening to hd600 (with the clerk harping about it not being available locally so there's no need of even trying)... compared to trying hd650 for like, idk, 2 hours or so interchangable with Alpha Dogs, i feel like i like hd600 better in terms of female vocals.
A clean, mediocre amount of bass is fine, but hd650 have good quantity of bass. And i don't like bass in general.
While hd600 female vocals sounds more shouty,  which is probably due to less amount of bass, or more grain.

hd650 sounds smoother but i don't know, maybe i just like sand-paper like voice rendering. haha~
i wasn't focus while trying the hd600 because i knew it wasn't available here so i never consider them seriously, up until i tried them out last night.

Not to mention that, if you read my posts from the past couple days, you'd know that i have an ear condition so, looking for hd650 to ease the high frequency attack, and hd650 rolled-off treble seems to be a very good option.

Unrelated, i was surprised by the lack of air the he-400i has. It has better everything than hd650, but air. But that air is the one thing that makes female vocals on a headphone carries emotion, or whether it is just a sound. and so, hd650 owners don't really missing out on anything really for not getting the he-400i if you like those mids.

hd650 is still better. my ma-900 is still better.

Now if we're talking bass on the other hand, it has a very significant difference that i think anybody could appreciate and hear the differences right away.

Wow, female vocals better on an HD600?  I'm just going to disagree with that, and go our separate ways......lol

I'm curious now as to the hours of service both headphones had, and how dissimilar the setups of the two had.  I'll still go down with the ship saying that the HD650 and HD600 are far, far more similar then different.  And I'm getting the impression that how you listened to the two is playing a major role in how you came to your impressions.

Jan 28, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #22,452 of 46,499

Wow, female vocals better on an HD600?  I'm just going to disagree with that, and go our separate ways......lol

I'm curious now as to the hours of service both headphones had, and how dissimilar the setups of the two had.  I'll still go down with the ship saying that the HD650 and HD600 are far, far more similar then different.  And I'm getting the impression that how you listened to the two is playing a major role in how you came to your impressions.

I didn't say that female vocals is better on the hd600 mate... I said I like the hd600 female vocals better based on the 5 minutes i listen to them.
In between hd600 and h650, which are better on female vocals is preference. I can reliably say that the he-400i, on female vocals alone, it's not better than the hd650 though! i like my ma-900 better on female vocals than he-400i really.

I need more hd600 listening session to form a better opinion about them... However in terms of the sound signature in general, because there is less bass and lower-mids emphasis on the hd600, the female vocals sound clearer on the hd600 while it sounds smoother on the hd650.

Above all else thanks for being considerate. Thanks for the consideration on thinking that how i listened to them played a major role on my impressions on both. Because on top of everything else, that is very true!
I can reliably talk about what i heard about hd650, as i listened to them for 2 hours (45-50 mins listening time, since the owner really keen on talking with me about some stuffs). On a good setup too. Woo Audio Fireflies -> HD650 and Alpha Dogs. Not OTL amp but still a decent setup.

I'm a little hesitant to double-post the exact same thing that i just posted on the hd600 thread, so... i'll just post the link here, http://www.head-fi.org/t/538255/sennheiser-hd-600-impressions-thread/10140#post_11266707

I said there that my hd600 listening session is unreliable to be based as a comparison to hd650
I also said on that post, The female vocals is matter of preference, on the hd650 is noticeably smoother while the ma-900 and Alpha Dogs are clearer
Also on that post on the hd600 thread, i also said im not sure how old, what cable, and which driver the hd600 is using, while on the hd650 i know that it's a stock cable but i'm not sure about the driver version either...

Jan 28, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #22,454 of 46,499
Short question, would the Fiio e09k paired with an e07k drive these well? I have a e07k, which I want to use as dac, but I am searching for an cheap amp to drive them

I tried the 650 with Fiio E9 (older version of E09k) and was very underwhelmed. My Vali paired a lot better.

You would be better served with the Vali/Magni 2. These are relatively cheap options.

If you want something even cheaper, the older Magni currently retails for the same price as Fiio E09k. It will serve you better.

Jan 28, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #22,455 of 46,499
I tried the 650 with Fiio E9 (older version of E09k) and was very underwhelmed. My Vali paired a lot better.

You would be better served with the Vali/Magni 2. These are relatively cheap options.

If you want something even cheaper, the older Magni currently retails for the same price as Fiio E09k. It will serve you better.

Thanks for the answer, I am currently in Germany, which makes it a little bit harder, but I will look further. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back