Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 27, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #22,426 of 46,535
  I have an Oyaide cable for my HD650s that I bought in Japan a few years ago. Sadly, one of the connectors broke. I bought some new ones on eBay, from Hong Kong. They turned out to be Acrolink FP-650 connectors. My questions is, how do I get the cables to stick in the connector? Do i jam the cables in the sockets and give them a whack to flatten them to keep the cables in place? Or is there a better method? I'm not a DIY guy so I really have no idea... 

Those look nice. I would prefer a colour left-right differentiator myself.

Jan 27, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #22,427 of 46,535
  There's a silver box and a black box. The black box surfaced about a couple of months ago but the consensus is that it's a purely presentational feature. It keeps the HD 650 in line with other Sennheiser products.

thanks zorrofox. how do i know whether i'll get a 2007 hd650 or a 2014 hd650?
how do i know which driver color is the new one?

some people said the new driver sounds different some pepple said it's entirely the same. honestly, i really don't care either way. i just want the newest one.
And since there's no return, i kind of forced to know this before paying... :)

Jan 27, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #22,428 of 46,535
Jan 27, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #22,429 of 46,535
thanks zorrofox. how do i know whether i'll get a 2007 hd650 or a 2014 hd650?
how do i know which driver color is the new one?

some people said the new driver sounds different some pepple said it's entirely the same. honestly, i really don't care either way. i just want the newest one.
And since there's no return, i kind of forced to know this before paying... :)

The old one has black drivers whereas the later revision has silver drivers. I'd be very surprised if there are any old models still retailing as new.

Jan 27, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #22,430 of 46,535
The old one has black drivers whereas the later revision has silver drivers. I'd be very surprised if there are any old models still retailing as new.

if its never been open and stay in the warehouse from oh, i dont know, 2005, then why not?
It's local distributor, i don't really have a say about it.

i dont know exactly when the hd650 driver changes (or the black cardboard box for that matter), but i know that my 2014-bought headphone was manufactured in 2009. there's probably not enough demand for shure 940 for 5 long years... haha

Jan 27, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #22,431 of 46,535
I received a fresh pair of HD650s from Amazon yesterday.It came in a black box with a nice black case inside. The headphones aren't bad either. LOL

Jan 27, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #22,432 of 46,535

if its never been open and stay in the warehouse from oh, i dont know, 2005, then why not?

It's very, very, very bad business practice to continue to sell an old model advertised as new. Even if nothing substantial has changed, the fact is that it's not "new" and the customer paid full price for a "new" product.

Jan 27, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #22,433 of 46,535

It's very, very, very bad business practice to continue to sell an old model advertised as new. Even if nothing substantial has changed, the fact is that it's not "new" and the customer paid full price for a "new" product.

Well, i got a shure 940 with tilted headband that i paid new, that i can't return, that got worse over 2 months, and then it tilted so much to one side it became unwearable. That was a $420 down the drain. So... i dont know. These kinds of things are why some parts of the world are more bonkers than the others.

Mate, dont return yours to adorama. send them to me. Well... maybe i need some meditation or something before this, but i listened to hd600 for 8 minutes, and hd650 for like, 3 hours interchangable with Alpha Dogs, i know that the hd600 is for me the way hd650 is for you (feels like it came out wrong)...

I saw the marbellite fake granite in person, well good thing is that i didn't puke or anything. Can't say how i feel keeping them in my room...

btw, how long have you own the hd600?

Jan 27, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #22,434 of 46,535
I still think it's unlikely to be the old version. It's not like Sennheiser have had problems selling them. If it's the silver box you're talking about that's not really a big deal. I don't even know where my box is these days.

Jan 27, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #22,435 of 46,535
I still think it's unlikely to be the old version. It's not like Sennheiser have had problems selling them. If it's the silver box you're talking about that's not really a big deal. I don't even know where my box is these days.

well both the box and the driver. i don't really care about the sound really. it's just $640 i want them new man. haha.
In regards to sennheiser, it doesn't work like that in third-world country. Most big markets countries have what is called Representative Office, which is a direct extension of the company, say sennheiser, that then distribute the products to authorized retailer / reseller.

Smaller countries don't have Rep Office ,they have distributor. Anybody can be distributor as long as they have a registered company and willing to buy an item in bulk (and some other prerequisite a company, say sennheiser, required them to fulfill to be their "authorized distributor").

In some of those countries, it means **** for the customers. Most of the time, the warranty is non-existent, no return policy, and it's hard to communicate to the company directly either because the company redirects the e-mail to the authorized distributor. Which doesn't have a public e-mail contact, let alone a working website.

So if the local sennheiser distributor bought in bulk and that stock is the stock of some years ago, they'll still sell that first. first in first out i guess. I don't know whether sennheiser requires periodic purchase or not. Some don't. And you can literally go years without ordering items from the main HQ or region rep office.

this is as far as i know, correct me if im wrong.

*i can't fix my grado in the country. i e-mailed Grado US, Grado US gave me e-mail of the regional distributor, which is in Singapore. Alright, e-mail Singapore Grado distributor, they redirect me to the local domestic distributor in my country. I contact them, and they said they don't accept grado returns that aren't bought from them. (my broken grado is not the new "e" series). And they become distributor only since the "e" series.

So what the hell? where should i go next?
Well i can go to singapore grado distributor when i go to Singapore some time, but that's another country. haha!

Now you see why i like companies that do direct selling like schiit, or mrspeakers, or bottlehead crack.
When **** happens i can just contact them directly and get stuff sorted out.

------
btw guys, if some of you like your hd650 for vocals and specifically for vocals, you're not missing out on the he-400i. It has forward midrange, but it doesn't have enough air. I didn't know what air means up until earlier today. Well now i know, the lack of air made the he-400i vocal sound less awesome compared to my sony ma-900 (which only cost ~$150 shipped). So there's that...

Jan 27, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #22,436 of 46,535
Point taken. Is there not a shop you can go to to check them out first?

Jan 27, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #22,437 of 46,535
  Point taken. Is there not a shop you can go to to check them out first?

This the dumb part. Only distributors have the stock.
Customer can't go to distributors directly if they don't have a retail store that sells to customer.
The distributor for Sennheiser doesn't have a retail store. And no audio store stock Sennheiser hd650 on their store, only their demo unit.
When you agree to buy it, only then the audio store call the distributor and get it delivered in like two hours or so.

Pretty complicated ain't it?
Not only happen in audio though, buying computer parts works exactly the same way.

haha~~

Jan 27, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #22,438 of 46,535
I guess you already know that's ridiculous. No relatives living outwith the country?

Jan 27, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #22,439 of 46,535
I guess you already know that's ridiculous. No relatives living outwith the country?

i can buy from like, maybe not adorama but, amazon. i can buy from amazon myself. the thing is, 40 to 45% of amazon's $350 plus the shipping cost ~$50 i think?
That's the same with buying locally. And time-wise, i gotta go to the district post office just to pay the tax.
i can't go to the nearest post office or wait home. No..... i have to go to the central post office. That is probably (definitely) is the most aggravating part of buying from abroad.

So i won't buy from abroad if it cost me the same as buying locally. haha...

i'm seriously in the middle of thinking whether i should just getting the hd600 instead (can't buy locally, gotta be from abroad).
But i really can't stand the fake granite design. Not aesthetically speaking, but psychologically speaking.

i don't know what to do.
the 5 minutes i spent listening to hd600 (with the clerk harping about it not being available locally so there's no need of even trying)... compared to trying hd650 for like, idk, 2 hours or so interchangable with Alpha Dogs, i feel like i like hd600 better in terms of female vocals.
A clean, mediocre amount of bass is fine, but hd650 have good quantity of bass. And i don't like bass in general.
While hd600 female vocals sounds more shouty,  which is probably due to less amount of bass, or more grain.

hd650 sounds smoother but i don't know, maybe i just like sand-paper like voice rendering. haha~
i wasn't focus while trying the hd600 because i knew it wasn't available here so i never consider them seriously, up until i tried them out last night.

Not to mention that, if you read my posts from the past couple days, you'd know that i have an ear condition so, looking for hd650 to ease the high frequency attack, and hd650 rolled-off treble seems to be a very good option.

Unrelated, i was surprised by the lack of air the he-400i has. It has better everything than hd650, but air. But that air is the one thing that makes female vocals on a headphone carries emotion, or whether it is just a sound. and so, hd650 owners don't really missing out on anything really for not getting the he-400i if you like those mids.

hd650 is still better. my ma-900 is still better.

Now if we're talking bass on the other hand, it has a very significant difference that i think anybody could appreciate and hear the differences right away.

Jan 27, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #22,440 of 46,535
Female vocals are magnificent via the 650's.

I don't have a medical condition but I also am averse to accentuated treble. I have a pair of Q701's that are just gathering dust for that very reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back