Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 2, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #21,661 of 46,525
Just got a new pair of HD650 can at a very good price during boxing sale and tried it with my RSA Apache in single end headphone out. I really like the result and decided to pull out my Apache in the amp for sale listing. Now I'm excited to get my balanced cable and try it out in full balanced play back with my analog and digital rig.   

Jan 2, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #21,662 of 46,525
I can see it's been said many times before, but it's so hard to decide between the WA7 (w/ WA7TP and tube upgrade) and the Valhalla/Uber BiFrost Stack. I heard Valhalla 2 > Lyr 2 for the HD650s, and I'd save a significant amount if I stick with Schitt.
I'm leaning towards the WA7, as from everything I have read so far it seems like the far superior amp; anyone know if it's worth the jump?

Jan 2, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #21,663 of 46,525
  I can see it's been said many times before, but it's so hard to decide between the WA7 (w/ WA7TP and tube upgrade) and the Valhalla/Uber BiFrost Stack. I heard Valhalla 2 > Lyr 2 for the HD650s, and I'd save a significant amount if I stick with Schitt.
I'm leaning towards the WA7, as from everything I have read so far it seems like the far superior amp; anyone know if it's worth the jump?

I heard a few people saying they liked the lyr2 over the wa6, and one guy sold his wa6 and kept the lyr 2. I personally just got my lyr 2 a few days ago and I'm getting a bifrost uber tomorrow so I can't wait to hear how it will sound stacked.

Jan 2, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #21,664 of 46,525
  I heard a few people saying they liked the lyr2 over the wa6, and one guy sold his wa6 and kept the lyr 2. I personally just got my lyr 2 a few days ago and I'm getting a bifrost uber tomorrow so I can't wait to hear how it will sound stacked.

So you picked Lyr over Valhalla; mind if I ask why?

Sorry, I'm a bit of a newbie and that's originally what I figured I would get (figured more expensive = better), but then I kept reading that the Valhalla was superior for the 650s (and Lyr was better for a wider range of headphones). 

Also, I hear the BiFrost Uber is a better DAC than the WA7, so it seems that WA7 + Uber BiFrost would have probably been the best combo out of what I mentioned, but I'm not looking to spend quite that much just yet.

Jan 2, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #21,665 of 46,525

Sorry, I'm a bit of a newbie and that's originally what I figured I would get (figured more expensive = better), but then I kept reading that the Valhalla was superior for the 650s (and Lyr was better for a wider range of headphones). 

Also, I hear the BiFrost Uber is a better DAC than the WA7, so it seems that WA7 + Uber BiFrost would have probably been the best combo out of what I mentioned, but I'm not looking to spend quite that much just yet.

I wanted a hybrid amp so I could get the best of both worlds, even though I had read that the valhalla is a better match for the 650. I also found an amazing deal on here for a used lyr 2 for $350 so I got it instead of paying $350 for a new valhalla 2. I'm using an asus xonar essence stx as my dac right now, so hopefully the bifrost uber is a big upgrade.

Jan 2, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #21,666 of 46,525

I also read that post, the Valhalla is considered a better option for the 650s than the Lyr 2 (with stock tubes), but you can always switch out the tubes of the Lyr 2 to get a sound that works better with the 650s. It's much cheaper to change tubes on the Lyr 2 than it is with the Valhalla, since the former only has two while the latter has 4. The Lyr 2 is also a better option if you will be purchasing ortho-dynamic headphones later. But if you will only be purchasing or have a Sennheiser HD 650 don't plan on changing tubes often, then the Valhalla 2 is a good choice.

Jan 2, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #21,667 of 46,525
So I've heard a lot from ppl on the Schitt side, but I haven't heard from anybody with the WA7 (let alone WA7TP psu upgrade)...
I'd love to hear the other side of the debate before I invest in one side or the other, especially with the price difference in mind ($800-900 vs $1,500)

Jan 2, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #21,669 of 46,525
So I've heard a lot from ppl on the Schitt side, but I haven't heard from anybody with the WA7 (let alone WA7TP psu upgrade)...
I'd love to hear the other side of the debate before I invest in one side or the other, especially with the price difference in mind ($800-900 vs $1,500)

If you want to know more, go to the WA7 thread and ask.

Jan 2, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #21,670 of 46,525
I also read that post, the Valhalla is considered a better option for the 650s than the Lyr 2 (with stock tubes), but you can always switch out the tubes of the Lyr 2 to get a sound that works better with the 650s. It's much cheaper to change tubes on the Lyr 2 than it is with the Valhalla, since the former only has two while the latter has 4. The Lyr 2 is also a better option if you will be purchasing ortho-dynamic headphones later. But if you will only be purchasing or have a Sennheiser HD 650 don't plan on changing tubes often, then the Valhalla 2 is a good choice.

I own a Lyr and I still want a Val2 or Bottlehead Crack just for my Senn's. I do not believe I have ever heard these at their full potential for all the years I have had them, though did sound quite vivacious on my father's Oppo HA-1. The Lyr is still very good though (as is the O2 for that matter; I like both equally).

Jan 2, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #21,671 of 46,525
  I recently got a pair and have driven them with a Woo Audio WA7 with the stock Sovtek tubes as well as the Electro Harmonix tubes, and the Oppo HA-1. I think the WA7+EH tubes is the best, but I don't love the headphones. I think they suit stuff like Tame Impala the best, but outside of that I'm not sold.

How long have you been listening to that chain?  I had to give it a while and then I came around to the 650's (couple of weeks).  I had a similar impression at first....underwhelmed and thinking there was too much "veil"/too dark.  If you've given it a heavy week or two then I'd bet you're unlikely to change your mind.  If it's only a couple of days, give it some time....really made a big difference to my ears.  Now I love my 650's and I've got a few good options to choose from.  I also use the WA7, but I moved on to a different DAC.  I find the DAC in the WA7 to be competent, though.  It's great value for money if you like an all-in-one solution.  I did regret not upgrading to the optical WA7 option, although it's a non issue now with the Beresforc Caiman Mkii DAC I'm using.

Best of luck.

HS 

Jan 2, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #21,672 of 46,525
Big tubes for BIG sound...my intuitive feel...:p
( away with the tiny tubes..zzz)

I am waiting for more impressions on this one....post #11141028

Jan 2, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #21,673 of 46,525

I much prefer the WA2 with the 650's than the WA7... I own both and find the WA7 sounds much more like a solid state amp... even with the tube power supply! The 650's to me sound best with Tung Sol 5998 tubes, as opposed to the WA7's Russian tubes which have more bass and a "faster" sound, but less lush, organic sounding midrange. The highs are also rolled off on the WA7 compared to the WA2 with Philips Miniwatt E188CC holland tubes... I hear more air, and nuances in female vocals especially. If you like the presentation of 650's, I recommend the WA2 over the WA7... just my .02c

Jan 2, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #21,674 of 46,525
I tried a pair of these at magnolia of course I didn't plug them into an amp just my cell phone and I must say they sounded pretty good. Of course not as good as the ATH-W1000X next to them. But I suspect it wasn't fair to compare them because of the source, I am quite surprised however that I liked the sound of the 650. I owned a pair about a year ago and didn't like it but I suspect that this pair had ample burn in time and it sounded alot different.

Jan 2, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #21,675 of 46,525
My K701s right driver died a month ago. I've then sold my HD650s and bought the HD800. Bad decision... The HD 800 is stunning. Timing, instument localisation, detail - everything overwhelming, BUT, quite frankly, it never gets as good as the HD650. The HD650 sounds organic, it pulls you into the music. The HD800 on the other hand: It's just an cold presentation, without magic. Ear fatigue is another point: I have to put the HD800 off after 1-2 hours. Never had those problems with the HD650 nor the K701. I hope this will settle with burn-in. If someone would ask me which heaphone he or she should buy, I'd say without missing a beat: Get the HD650 or HD600.

Get an HE560, it splits the differences between the 650 and 800 nicely, retains the "organic" sound, head stage, tone, really a great tweeter, IMO of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back