Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 13, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #20,971 of 46,564
  This may not be a fashionable view, but I think the xonar stx makes for a very decent 'beginner's set up'. It will more than adequately drive the HD650 transparently, and has the flexibility of outputs, and software features. Some will also appreciate the less clutter of having the equipment tucked inside their PC.

Assuming of course that everyone uses a PC as their source.

Dec 13, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #20,973 of 46,564
  Well, I'm returning the Asgard 2. Went with the JDS Labs O2+ODAC. Hopefully this will go much better.

It's not going to be any different.

Dec 13, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #20,975 of 46,564
People tend to like what they know....what they own.  This thread is a fine example of that.

HS

It's true. And there's an interesting dichotomy, if that's right word. When asked for a recommendation, people often suggest what they know and own, while continuing to acquire new and different gear with the idea it will fit them better. We're an interesting species.

Dec 13, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #20,976 of 46,564
It's true. And there's an interesting dichotomy, if that's right word. When asked for a recommendation, people often suggest what they know and own, while continuing to acquire new and different gear with the idea it will fit them better. We're an interesting species.

And manufacturers rejoice.

Dec 13, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #20,977 of 46,564
I think it's more a case of people own what they like. I've bought gear that I don't like and I end up returning or selling it. Of course people recommend what they know, how could you recommend something you don't know?

Dec 13, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #20,978 of 46,564
Just got a M/M stack a week ago and now the M2U/M2U stack is released 
evil_smiley.gif

Gonna have to return my current ones at a loss if Schiit doesn't offer me anything...
I wonder if the Magni 2 Uber and Modi 2 Uber will have significant sonic improvements to warrant the exchange.

Dec 13, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #20,979 of 46,564
Just got a M/M stack a week ago and now the M2U/M2U stack is released :evil:

Gonna have to return my current ones at a loss if Schiit doesn't offer me anything...
I wonder if the Magni 2 Uber and Modi 2 Uber will have significant sonic improvements to warrant the exchange.

That is really aggravating. I think there should be a transition period where the current version is sold at a reduced price so it becomes obvious that an upgrade is coming soon. It seems dishonest to sell at full price today and then come out with an upgrade tomorrow.

Dec 13, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #20,980 of 46,564
That is really aggravating. I think there should be a transition period where the current version is sold at a reduced price so it becomes obvious that an upgrade is coming soon. It seems dishonest to sell at full price today and then come out with an upgrade tomorrow.

Really? Does Apple do this before releasing a new iPhone?

EDIT: Besides, you still have 15 days return policy. Also, why not trying to contact Schiit and sort it out instead of stirring the drama on forums?

Dec 13, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #20,981 of 46,564
Really? Does Apple do this before releasing a new iPhone?

EDIT: Besides, you still have 15 days return policy. Also, why not trying to contact Schiit and sort it out instead of stirring the drama on forums?

It's widely known ahead of time when a new iphone is coming out. Besides, a niche, enthusiast market is very different from apple's mass audience.

Dec 13, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #20,982 of 46,564
It's widely known ahead of time when a new iphone is coming out. 

It's only known because of the leaks. Anyway, I'm sure Schiit would come up with some sort of accommodation for unfortunate buyers.

Dec 13, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #20,983 of 46,564

It's widely known ahead of time when a new iphone is coming out. Besides, a niche, enthusiast market is very different from apple's mass audience.

Not only is this known because of leaks, but Apple renews its iPhone at the same time every year. It's an expected upgrade.

If I am correct, I believe Apple is also pretty nice about buying an old product right before a refresh. You have a certain time period that they'll simply exchange it out for you. 

Dec 13, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #20,984 of 46,564
What can I say other than that my O2 is better in all departments. My friend hears it and, tellingly, so does my distinctly non-audiophile wife. Perhaps it's down to noise in the integrated? I have no idea. Nor do I care much.

That's exactly what it is... noise. With the integrated amps I have, its very audible. Damping factor will likely be very different, but YMMV based on brand.

Dec 13, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #20,985 of 46,564

It's not going to be any different.

How so? The ODAC has a completely different DAC (ESS Sabre ES9023) versus the X-Fi HD USB that uses the exact same chip as the Modi (AKM4396VF). Even if I had gone with the Schiit stack, I probably would hear minute differences. With an entirely different DAC I'm not sure how you came to this conclusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back