Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 6, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #20,821 of 46,518
I'm on that... my local store has quite a variety and I'll see if he can get me some. I am talking a break from Scotland, since that stuff is really, really pricey; O Canada... :wink:  

Trust me, it's not any cheaper in it's homeland.

:wink:

Dec 6, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #20,822 of 46,518
+2 The brain needs time to adjust. I wanted to sell mine 20 minutes after I opened and listened to them. 6 months later we're soul mates. Lol
+1 same experience.  I think burn-in is more a brain burn-in than headphone, to tell you the truth I've never experienced headphones change for the better after 300+ hours they all sound the same as the first listen, however equipment I have.

Dec 6, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #20,823 of 46,518
I've had a slight dent in the metal mesh/grills/whatever-it's-called for like over a year now and am looking for a reasonable way to fix it. Anyone have any suggestions?

Dec 7, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #20,824 of 46,518
So I know this isn't directly linked to the theme of the thread but it does involve my 650s.

Perhaps I don't have the proper vocabulary to succinctly describe my question so here are the pertinent details.

I am using my Samsung Galaxy S4 with a FiiO E7 portable amp. I just got a pair pf Beyerdynamics T 51 Ps and was comparing them to my Sennheiser HD 650s (I recognize they are different classifications but I wanted to appreciate the quality of each). Upon switching between them while listening to Hotel California from the Eagle's Hell Freezes Over album, I noticed the sounds in each Left and Right can were inversed. For instance, with the 650s I could easily hear the maracas come in on my left ear, however, with the T 51 Ps it was my right ear.

I tested this both with and without the amp and the result was the same. Also, though it seems obvious to mention, I ensured I had them on the proper ear per their respective markings.

Curious to know what could be causing this and if it a sign of anything I should be concerned about.

Any insight is appreciated. I will ask that any responses that require a technical explanation be done so with layman's terms.

Thank you in advance.

Dec 7, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #20,825 of 46,518
So I know this isn't directly linked to the theme of the thread but it does involve my 650s.

Perhaps I don't have the proper vocabulary to succinctly describe my question so here are the pertinent details.

I am using my Samsung Galaxy S4 with a FiiO E7 portable amp. I just got a pair pf Beyerdynamics T 51 Ps and was comparing them to my Sennheiser HD 650s (I recognize they are different classifications but I wanted to appreciate the quality of each). Upon switching between them while listening to Hotel California from the Eagle's Hell Freezes Over album, I noticed the sounds in each Left and Right can were inversed. For instance, with the 650s I could easily hear the maracas come in on my left ear, however, with the T 51 Ps it was my right ear.

I tested this both with and without the amp and the result was the same. Also, though it seems obvious to mention, I ensured I had them on the proper ear per their respective markings.

Curious to know what could be causing this and if it a sign of anything I should be concerned about.

Any insight is appreciated. I will ask that any responses that require a technical explanation be done so with layman's terms.

Thank you in advance.

Are you 650 cables installed into the correct ear piece?  If so, the T51s are wired backwards and you need to return them.

Dec 7, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #20,826 of 46,518
Yeah I triple checked. Wires are in the correct ears for the 650s. Matched the L/R markings with the markings on the headphones themselves.

It seems like such an egregious error if the t51s are wired backwards... while I'm sure it is not common, is that not unheard of though?

Dec 7, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #20,827 of 46,518
Yeah I triple checked. Wires are in the correct ears for the 650s. Matched the L/R markings with the markings on the headphones themselves.

It seems like such an egregious error if the t51s are wired backwards... while I'm sure it is not common, is that not unheard of though?

I've heard of some headphones being wired backwards. Rare, but it happens. 

Dec 7, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #20,829 of 46,518

At least with the physical design of the T51, it doesn't matter if you wear the sides reversed.  The earpads/angles are symmetrical either way.

Dec 7, 2014 at 5:14 AM Post #20,830 of 46,518

Thank you in advance.

I've got Hell Freezes Over and a quick check on both my HD 650 and Q701 shows me that there are at least two maracas tracks at the start of Hotel California. The first is on the right channel and the second is on the left channel. For clarity, perhaps you could try Tequila Sunrise from the same album. The first electric guitar you hear should be on the left channel. Is it?

Dec 7, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #20,831 of 46,518

Thank you in advance.

you're welcome ^_^.

Dec 7, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #20,832 of 46,518

Yes, mine came in a black box just like yours.

Thank you.

Do you guys thing the LD MKIII will be a good amp for the HD650's? I'm looking for a nice luscious warm sound.

Have consider the CRACK?I have the MK III running it with 2 6SN7 GTB for Power tubes and 1 6AS7G for Driver tube these setup is way way better than running it with the plug and play tubes for the MK III but no where near as good as the CRACK at least to my ears. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back